Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Acrylic polish and sealer for IS

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 09:26 AM
isdsms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acrylic polish and sealer for IS

Does anyone have experience using an acrylic on their new car finish? I have been looking into using Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze as a followup. The process seems easy enough and won't have to be repeated every few months according to the good folks at Klasse
Old 11-06-05, 02:42 PM
dennis250
Driver

I've used it several times on my MINI and Audi. Great stuff.
And if you want to try something even a little bit nicer, go for the Menzerna product line. They sell a whole kit at www.properautocare.com. It's an extra step from what i remember, but each step gets easier until the end where its like wiping butter on your car. Its amazing. And it's a polymer acrylic like klasse.

To me, both of these products give results as good as zaino but its easier. Half the reason zaino works so well is because of all the steps and techniques they make you go through. But most of that stuff is things you should do with any good polish/wax system.
Old 11-06-05, 03:02 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

There are hundreds if not thousands of sealants and waxes on the market right now. Everyone has their favorite. Before I give any sort of recommendation let me ask you what color your car is, if the paint is metallic or non metallic, if you will be applying by hand or be machine, and what kind of condition the paint is in.
Old 11-06-05, 03:22 PM
isdsms
Driver

Originally Posted by picus
There are hundreds if not thousands of sealants and waxes on the market right now. Everyone has their favorite. Before I give any sort of recommendation let me ask you what color your car is, if the paint is metallic or non metallic, if you will be applying by hand or be machine, and what kind of condition the paint is in.
New IS350 in Tungsten Pearl and I would be doing it by hand.
Old 11-06-05, 03:34 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha, as a matter of fact, I just finished using Klasse AIO & Klasse Sealant Glaze on my new GS300 for the first time. The result look spectacular, however, the SG is a pain to buff off. It definitely takes tons of elbow grease. I'm just glad I got it done and won't have to do it for a while. Here's the thread I started as I was in between coats - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186129
Old 11-06-05, 04:15 PM
isdsms
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
Ha, as a matter of fact, I just finished using Klasse AIO & Klasse Sealant Glaze on my new GS300 for the first time. The result look spectacular, however, the SG is a pain to buff off. It definitely takes tons of elbow grease. I'm just glad I got it done and won't have to do it for a while. Here's the thread I started as I was in between coats - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186129
Thanks! That's great to know. Back to the drawing board.
Old 11-06-05, 05:04 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by isdsms
New IS350 in Tungsten Pearl and I would be doing it by hand.
OK assuming you don't notice any scratches or swirls from the dealer, I'd probably wash it, clean it with AIO by hand, then apply your choice of sealant. On metallic silvers I am a big fan of Poorboys EX-P or 4 star UPP. Zaino is also good, but it requires a little more of a time investment. Klasse SG is also very good, however as you saw in SGT's thread it can be a little user-infriendly.

After you apply the sealant if you like the way it looks, perfect - you're good to go for 3-4 months. If you want a less reflective, but warmer "glow" just apply your choice of paste wax over the sealant. I have EX-P on my car right now (applied about 2 months ago), and I maintain it with a spray wax (spray on, wipe off after washes). I love the way it looks and it only takes 5-10 minutes after a wash.

Cheers
Old 11-06-05, 07:35 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

BTW, I finished putting on the final coat of SG at 5pm and it started raining at 9:30pm. Will the rain have any adverse effect on the sealant since it didn't have at least 12 hours to cure?
Old 11-06-05, 07:55 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
BTW, I finished putting on the final coat of SG at 5pm and it started raining at 9:30pm. Will the rain have any adverse effect on the sealant since it didn't have at least 12 hours to cure?
It should be fine. When layering sealants people often wait 24 hours so the last layer can cure, but curing is really just exposure to air.
Old 11-06-05, 07:58 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Thanks, picus. I was worried that I'd have to go through that process of applying and buffing the sealant so soon again.
Old 11-07-05, 03:49 AM
isdsms
Driver

Originally Posted by picus
OK assuming you don't notice any scratches or swirls from the dealer, I'd probably wash it, clean it with AIO by hand, then apply your choice of sealant. On metallic silvers I am a big fan of Poorboys EX-P or 4 star UPP. Zaino is also good, but it requires a little more of a time investment. Klasse SG is also very good, however as you saw in SGT's thread it can be a little user-infriendly.

After you apply the sealant if you like the way it looks, perfect - you're good to go for 3-4 months. If you want a less reflective, but warmer "glow" just apply your choice of paste wax over the sealant. I have EX-P on my car right now (applied about 2 months ago), and I maintain it with a spray wax (spray on, wipe off after washes). I love the way it looks and it only takes 5-10 minutes after a wash.

Cheers
I ordered both AIO and Poorboys EX-P. Hopefuuly they arrive this week so I can take advantage of the warm weather we are having here in NJ. Next up will be interior cleaners and wheel and tire treatment. Any ideas, thoughts??
Old 11-07-05, 04:00 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by isdsms
I ordered both AIO and Poorboys EX-P. Hopefuuly they arrive this week so I can take advantage of the warm weather we are having here in NJ. Next up will be interior cleaners and wheel and tire treatment. Any ideas, thoughts??
I've heard nothing but good things about 303 Aerospace Protectant for rubber, vinyl, leather, etc. Many people swear by this product so I decided to give it a try and have an order on the way.
Old 11-07-05, 05:32 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
I've heard nothing but good things about 303 Aerospace Protectant for rubber, vinyl, leather, etc. Many people swear by this product so I decided to give it a try and have an order on the way.
303 has been around forever and a day and is still going strong. It's a great product. Just spray on, wipe off - then buff off again in a few minutes for a less glossy shine. It works on exterior surfaces too - although it will only last through one or two washes. As for leather cleaner/conditioner, for the most part they do similar jobs so pick one that smells good to you. I like the smell of Zaino Z9/10, but Lexol is good too and it's cheaper.

Same with tire dressings, there are a billion. I like a less dropping wet shiny look so I use Poorboys Natural Look. If you like that bling bling wet tire look Meg's insane shine is good, as are a number of "boutique" brand dressings.

Regarding that EX-P just remember to apply it nice and thin. It should come off very easily.

Have fun!
Old 11-11-05, 01:48 AM
isdsms
Driver

Used Mothers car wash, Klasse AIO and Poor Boys EX-P. For the interior used Zaino Z10. Great results! Thanks.

What kinde of results would I get by layering Poor Boys EX-P?
Old 11-11-05, 09:23 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Most folks figure you start to get diminishing returns after the 2nd coat. So I would apply a 2nd coat 24 hours after the first (or more) and then leave it alone and just maintain with a quality quick-detailing spray or a spray wax. That's actually what I do over my EX-P, I just hit them with a layer of Optimum Car Wax Spray after each wash. Eagle Wax As U Dry is a similar product that you can buy locally (you can get optimum online) - you just spray them on and wipe them right off, seems too easy but they work really well. Actually a lot more products are being released right now that are spray on/wipe off, due in part to the popularity of products like Eagle WAUD and OCW.