Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anyone heard of Xzilon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 02:54 AM
Kailua250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of Xzilon?

My dealer wanted me to have them put Xzilon sealant on my car. Has anyone had any experience with this stuff? Good, bad? If I want to take it off later, how hard is that?
Old 11-13-05, 09:53 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Let me guess - they want between $500-$800 to do it? Xzilon is a paint sealant, very much like any paint sealant you can pick up at pep-boys for $20, the only difference is that it's slightly more durable at the cost of gloss. It needs to be re-applied just like any sealant - the frequency depends on what your car goes through. Xzilon will probably last 6 months to a year, most retail sealants will last 4-6 months... Their "5 year guarantee" is just 5 years of free re-application. If you read the terms of their contract you'll also notice the "5-year guarantee" is void if you use any compounds, polishes, other sealants or waxes, or use a rotary or PC on your cars paint.

I rarely make black & white statements like this, but those dealer-offered $700 sealants are a total scam. You'll get the same protection (water beading, bird crap, dust, tree sap, etc...) from just about any sealant (poorboys ex, klasse sg, zaino, 4 star upp, acrylic jett).. Application is as easy as washing the car, applying the sealant, waiting 30 minutes then buffing off.

I get customers all the time that say "but I got the dealers sealant, why does my car look like trash?" because they think that for $700 it's some extra layer of clear coat that magically repels the elements and never needs to be re-applied, when in essence it's just a glorified polymer sealant.

Here's an autopia thread about it, also.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....ghlight=Xzilon

Last edited by picus; 11-13-05 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-13-05, 12:54 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget "Teflon" enhanced waxes/sealants also.......farce!
Teflon is applied at 700 degrees! Dupont is going after improper use of it's patented product name.

Later,
JU
Old 11-13-05, 05:01 PM
Kailua250
Driver

Thsnks picus and john. I was skeptical about it and you re-affirmed my suspitions. I am going to do a little research here on the formum and elsewhere to see which sealant or wax I am going to choose.
Thanks again!
Old 11-13-05, 08:47 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John U
Don't forget "Teflon" enhanced waxes/sealants also.......farce!
Teflon is applied at 700 degrees! Dupont is going after improper use of it's patented product name.

Later,
JU
The funny thing is that DuPont has jumped on the bandwagon and started selling its own line of Teflon car care products. LOL.
Old 11-14-05, 06:05 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

I rarely make black & white statements like this, but those dealer-offered $700 sealants are a total scam.
Sadly a huge scam. Go buy $100 of Zaino system and get better results.

One thing that always bothers me about Toyota is the ToyoGuard product they rape people with. $700 for a sealant they claim lasts a full year. No such animal exists.
Old 11-14-05, 08:34 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

big rip-off from what i understand
Old 11-14-05, 09:01 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yESman
Sadly a huge scam. Go buy $100 of Zaino system and get better results.

One thing that always bothers me about Toyota is the ToyoGuard product they rape people with. $700 for a sealant they claim lasts a full year. No such animal exists.
Most dealerships do the same thing. They practically put me in a headlock at an Audi dealership. They know it's like $700 free since no one *ever* comes in to have te product re-applied. Boo dealerships.
Old 11-14-05, 05:56 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kailua250
My dealer wanted me to have them put Xzilon sealant on my car. Has anyone had any experience with this stuff? Good, bad? If I want to take it off later, how hard is that?
Hey bro I would really consider getting Xzilon. Its a little expensive but its a really great product. My friends company sells it. He put it on his SVT cobra and that stuff its unbelieveable. His dad sprayed spray paint on his hood and let it dry. Then he took his hand and wiped it right off. It was crazy. I'm getting it put on my car. Not sure you can take it off but I can ask my friend if you want. Let me know. He said it last about 8 years.