Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need advice on best stuff to clean windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-01, 10:50 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried windex and an automotive specific window spray without any good results. It appears there is some whitish/greasy looking residue that remains on the glass both inside and on the outside. Anyone recommend a good window cleaner? I heard at one time that using plain newspaper and something else worked well?

Thanks,
Old 07-27-01, 03:50 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GSman

I have tried windex and an automotive specific window spray without any good results. It appears there is some whitish/greasy looking residue that remains on the glass both inside and on the outside. Anyone recommend a good window cleaner? I heard at one time that using plain newspaper and something else worked well?

Thanks,
Try EAGLE 1 window cleaner. Thats what I use right now. yeah windex sucks ! I used that before and didn't do **** for my windows. Also I believe someone mentioned here that Turtle Wax or Armoral made an excellant window cleaner. I forgot which one.
Old 07-27-01, 04:32 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Window Cleaning

Just evaluating things now. First up, after all my old stuff streaked, was the Stoner Invisible Glass(?). Did a very good job however I also gave up using cotton towels and am using absolutely plain paper towels. Did a very good, streak free job. Trying to remember to go vertical on the outside and horizontal on the inside so I can tell, if it streaks, which side has the problem.
Old 07-28-01, 03:01 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

GSMAN: I use Griot's Garage Window Cleaner -- I've found that with one of their lint free cloths I never have a streak. Great stuff. I've given it as a gift a couple of times, and one of the guys is hooked -- bought a gallon jug of the stuff (and gave me a refill, so I'm not complaining!). If you want more info, try this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11510
They also have a gadget to help get to the corners on the inside windows as well, but have not tried that yet. Can reach everything pretty well in my RX300 and SC300 (except the bottom of that back window!)
Old 07-28-01, 03:04 PM
michaelcorbett3
Driver School Candidate

I, like Ron 430, have been happy with the Stoner Invisible Glass. I'm intrugued by the BertL post though. I may give that a try and see if there's any difference.
Old 07-28-01, 05:13 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down DUST DUST DUST !

I am not sure if its my Eagle 1 or what but everytime I clean my windows, if I leave it overnight in the garage or go to the city and back, my windows already have a thin-film of dust on it?! It ALWAYS does that and its pissing me off.

Anyone else experience dusting like that with your own window products? I said I wasn't sure if its Eagle 1 because thats the only window cleaner that I ever used for my car other than the crappy windex.
Old 07-29-01, 03:46 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

DIESELMAN63: I don't have the problem you describe with excessive dust, except of course here in Georgia when the infamous pollen attacks everything in the spring. I use Rain-X on the exterior front/back windows, as well as on the headlights about every 2 months -- more often if the windshield wipers are used a lot. I use the Griot's Window Cleaner as indicated above in between times when it's necessary (not every wash). My SC300 stays in the garage until weekends for the most part (yes, it's baby'd too much -- but the new SC430 if it ever arrives will be worse, I'm sure), however the RX300 goes in and out all the time, and it does not have the problem either.

I don't know if your problem is associated with the Eagle product since I've never used it, but at least I don't have the problem with what I'm doing. I know I had lots of problems like you describe on the interior windows with dust collection and also filming up many, many, many years ago when I used Armorall (never again) on the interior dash, etc and drove around in my old Celica with the windows and sunroof open -- before I knew better... both about the Armorall and that I needed to drive a Lexus!

Best of luck in your search for that perfect, sparkling clean window as well! It would !#($&* me off too with the windows attacting all sorts of crud just after I cleaned them -- which I'm about to go out and do when it brightens up a bit.
Old 07-29-01, 10:33 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks BertL. I think its my Eagle 1 product. You know how some waxes attract alot of dust, I think my eagle 1 attracts dust too.

I gotta go find some dust-free window cleaner
Old 07-30-01, 12:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Water Spots

Slightly different from what most of what has been posted, my biggest problem seems to be water spots. I am not sure if the water around here has gotten noticeably worse or if the glass on a GS430 is prone to it but they are my worst problem right now. I ordered the Griot glass polish and it is slowly getting the spots out. The moonroof is my toughest spot and will probably tackle it next weekend. Griot has two different grits and the finer glass polish worked pretty well on the windshield, side glass, and rear window, but the moonroof is really waterspotted - also tends to get more polution dropped on it. Before I get into the stronger polish, possibly by machine, I will try the vinegar trick but I think the waterspots are going to have to be cut off with the polish. Still evaluating window cleaners but if you have a good one, Stoner, Griot, Eagle 1, etc. I think the biggest issue is towel. I just can't use a towel that I have washed, have to use a lot of paper towels to get streak free.
Old 08-24-05, 11:52 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
Just evaluating things now. First up, after all my old stuff streaked, was the Stoner Invisible Glass(?). Did a very good job however I also gave up using cotton towels and am using absolutely plain paper towels. Did a very good, streak free job. Trying to remember to go vertical on the outside and horizontal on the inside so I can tell, if it streaks, which side has the problem.
I keep a can in every car. This stuff works really well.
Old 08-31-05, 11:01 AM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

I've been using the Stoner's as well. It does well and at $1.99 or so at WalMart, it's a great buy. With a towel (Not rinsed in fabric softener) , I get some streaking but it isn't bad. I have a microfiber towel yet each time I do the glass, I forget to use it until the next day when I remember

I personally would prefer a non-aerosol application because the fine mist flys everywhere in the slightest breeze, otherwise, I spray into the towel then wipe the glass.
Old 08-31-05, 11:11 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
I've been using the Stoner's as well. It does well and at $1.99 or so at WalMart, it's a great buy. With a towel (Not rinsed in fabric softener) , I get some streaking but it isn't bad. I have a microfiber towel yet each time I do the glass, I forget to use it until the next day when I remember

I personally would prefer a non-aerosol application because the fine mist flys everywhere in the slightest breeze, otherwise, I spray into the towel then wipe the glass.
That's exactly what I do now. I spray it on my mf towel and clean. I really got sick of the mist blowing on the windows I already washed and on the areas I polished.
Old 09-01-05, 09:28 AM
JSK
Driver School Candidate

Are all these products that's been mentioned safe for tinted windows?
Old 09-01-05, 10:09 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

I know this is.

Old 09-01-05, 11:08 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Stoner is the best stuff I have used BY FAR, and it is safe for tinted windows

Quick Reply: Need advice on best stuff to clean windows