Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Arrgh...Swirl Marks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 02:11 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrgh...Swirl Marks

I've only had my black IS350 for a week now. I've only washed it once through a touchless automatic carwash, then spray and wiped with Meguiar's Quik Detail with 3 microfiber towels (switched them off when they got too dirty). To my surprise, I noticed fine scratches already.

How can I avoid this? I'm not too educated on detailing, but I always assumed if you use microfiber towels you can avoid swirl marks and fine scratches
Old 11-20-05, 03:40 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I've only washed it once through a touchless automatic carwash
Likely your problem.

Even if it's not, don't get into the habit of automatic car washes. Touchless or not.
Old 11-20-05, 05:45 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

sorry to hear man! use a high quality shammy, I use it on my black Impala SS and it leaves NOTHING! good luck! throw a coat of wax over it as well to avoid clear coat scratches.
Old 11-20-05, 06:00 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Wax doesn't prevent scratches - just protects from the elements.

MongooseGA is right, it was likely the touchless wash. I'd investigate some how-to's on washing your car yourself the right way. Black is tough, but it can be done if you do it right. Also keep in mind Japanese paint is generally soft, so only quick detail when necassary - even the most innocent quick detail with microfiber can leave scratches. Make sure you're using good mf clothes too - there are a lot of cheap ones with polyester threads in the seams which absolutely mangle paint.
Old 11-20-05, 08:28 PM
cantsleepnk
Driver

It could have been also from your dealer before you took delivery.
I always pass on my dealers FREE scratches and waterspots special whenever my car is in for service.
Old 11-20-05, 08:57 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I've only had my black IS350 for a week now. I've only washed it once through a touchless automatic carwash, then spray and wiped with Meguiar's Quik Detail with 3 microfiber towels (switched them off when they got too dirty). To my surprise, I noticed fine scratches already.

How can I avoid this? I'm not too educated on detailing, but I always assumed if you use microfiber towels you can avoid swirl marks and fine scratches
AUTOMATIC CARWASH = F***ED UP PAINT!

Sorry to hear that you had the problem especially with a BRAND new car. I got some scratches and swirls from an auto carwash that I used to go to. Tought that the touch free would be coo, until I started looking into it and man....just bad news especially for a black car.

best of luck to you.
Old 11-20-05, 10:17 PM
Morrissey
Driver

So it sounds like the touchless car wash might have done it. Amazing...I thought I'd be ok since it's touchless...I mean how can high pressurized water scratch your paint? Oh well....

Now that I have this fine scratches, how do I get rid of them? I noticed that Meguair's sells a Scratch X product or something. Should I use that?
Old 11-21-05, 06:13 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Are the scratches all over the entire car? ScratchX will work, but it requires some elbow grease and a little finesse to not induce more marring. If the swirls are just in isolated areas give that a shot. If they're all over the car you can either hide them using a glaze or wax with fillers, or have them removed via polishing. If you go the entire car polish route you may consider having a detailer do it unless you're a DYI kinda guy, in which case you can learn the in's and out's of polishing over at autopia-carcare.com's "how to" section.
Old 11-21-05, 06:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Morrisey,

Please try the search feature in this forum and you'll find loads of info with no waiting! The swirls on black question has been discussed very extensively! If you'll try the search feature (I used 'swirl black' and pointed at this forum) you'll get a lot of info immediately with no waiting :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=swirl+black
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124749

Some of these will probably have more 'extreme' solutions to swirls than you'll need with such a nice new car with limited damage
Old 11-21-05, 10:33 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Thanks Dave, didn't realize it was such a major problem. I'll search next time I make a topic.

I guess the biggest dillema for me is that Denver gets pretty cold this time of year. It's by no means freezing, but the average day temp is 40-45 degrees, which is too cold for washing the car myself. So I either have to take it to a car wash (which obviously isn't a good idea on my soft black paint), or just leave it dirty for weeks at a time until we get a warm weekend
Old 11-21-05, 10:38 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Owning a black car is full time job. lol

I usually take off my fine scratches with meguiers scratch X and it does require elbow grease.

A trick to prevent scratches is to dry your car the direction of where the water slides off the car.