Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Buffer pattern

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 02:59 PM
faiello
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffer pattern

I had my Black GS300 detailed last week and now I can see the buffer pattern when the sun hit the side of my car directly. Is there anyway to get rid of them without another buffing job?
Old 11-20-05, 03:30 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by faiello
I had my Black GS300 detailed last week and now I can see the buffer pattern when the sun hit the side of my car directly. Is there anyway to get rid of them without another buffing job?
take it back to the detailer and demand they do the job correctly,that is what you paid them for
Old 11-20-05, 03:38 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
take it back to the detailer and demand they do the job correctly,that is what you paid them for
Normally I'd agree, but in this case...

If a detailer is bad enough to charge for a job and doesn't have the skills to properly buff the car without leaving holograms, I'd imagine he'd burn the paint cursing the owner.

Show the defects to the detailer you went to first. Tell him you're going to find someone capable of a proper job, and that he's paying for it.
Old 11-20-05, 05:53 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be something easy to fix and it could be something difficult to fix. If it's just polish residue, which is very well might be, you can remove it with some rubbing alcohol mixed with water (50:50) - just spray on and wipe off with a microfiber towel. Only issue there is it will remove your sealant/wax too, so they'll need to be re-applied. This might seem like one of those "f-that, I paid to have it done right I'm not doing anything" deals, but if the guy is an amatuer you might want to avoid him.

If it is the more common rotary induced holograms then you need to have it polished again, this time by someone that knows what they're doing.

How can you tell the two apart? It's tough - best bet is to take a little rubbing alcohol (if you don't have that, some windex) and give it a tiny squirt on the hologram then wipe off. If they disappear it's residue, if not it's rotary holograms. I've seen quite a few folks mistake rotary holograms for residue - so it might be worthwhile to check.

If it is indeed rotary holograms I'd have him pay to have someone else do it right.
Old 11-20-05, 06:53 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Normally I'd agree, but in this case...

If a detailer is bad enough to charge for a job and doesn't have the skills to properly buff the car without leaving holograms, I'd imagine he'd burn the paint cursing the owner.

Show the defects to the detailer you went to first. Tell him you're going to find someone capable of a proper job, and that he's paying for it.
even better your correct on this one