Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Nu Finish

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 07:01 AM
isdsms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nu Finish

I use to use this stuff with good results. It would last a long time and gave a nice shine. What have been people's experience with this product?
Old 11-22-05, 09:28 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's good stuff, I use a coat of it on my wheels after I rinse them down. Makes the lips shiny!
Old 11-22-05, 12:16 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Crap.

The message you have entered is too short.
Old 11-22-05, 04:34 PM
isdsms
Driver

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Crap.

The message you have entered is too short.

Do you mind elaborating?
Old 11-22-05, 07:07 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by isdsms
Do you mind elaborating?
Well, I shouldn't have just said "crap". It may be a great product for a person who uses it as a once a year car polish and doesn't know any better, or has low standards.

It won't produce any better of a finish than using any cheap cleaner wax will. A proper finish requires proper prep. If you properly prep the surface (wash, clay, real, true polish, and then apply your last step product such as a sealant or wax) then any properly applied LSP should top it off w/o hindering the look.

However, if you choose to use something as low grade as Nu Finish after properly prepping your car, then you really are undermining the work you've done. Then again, it's always your choice.

I'll tell you that as soon as I inherited my dad's old box of rags, waxes, and rubbing compound about 2-3 years ago, everything was thrown away. This included some Nu Finish, Turtle Waxes and rubbing compounds, and a few other cheapo products.
Old 11-23-05, 04:40 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NuFinish is an old technology product, an acrylic polymer, and acrylics date back to the 1960s.

It contains a lot of solvents (you'll note it has a strong kerosene odor). This is partly how it cleans, along with some minor clay abrasives. It tries to do everything ( clean/ shine/protect), and it does to a degree, but...so-so. Yes, some people like it, but they're generally the people that it's marketed for. If you're happy with it, then end of story. We don't all have to have the same detailing standards or goals. This is not a slap to anyone that uses it. I am not particular about toothpaste, or hair gel, as long as it does what I need it to do and my teeth/hair don't fall out. A dental office or hair salon would call what I use junk, because they're effectively purists or enthusiasts about those products, and they've educated themselves to know the difference. I just don't look any better with Paul Mitchell or L'Oreal hair gel vs Sauve! lol. But then, I'm no movie star either.

It's a consumer -grade product, made for people that don't want to spend any more time on their paint than necessary. I happen to think that's ok...for them.

You can take some of Mongoose's advice as sound, but you may not be interested in spending $30 to $100 on the Zaino, Pinnacle, Klasse, Poorboys products. That's ok, but you also have to remember: There's no "panacea in a bottle", and that you "get what you pay for".

NuFinish hasn't changed much in the last 30 years. It's still going to make you want to put a clothespin over your nose, leave white polish residue everywhere, and the shine will die back fast. It still protects for a good amount of time though. I used it many, many years ago on customers' cars where they wanted a "1 step quik fix", cheaply. My standards have changed (I don't do "quick fixes" anymore) and my nose couldn't take the odor either-it made me sick almost.

Stick with it if you like it, but be open to trying and experimenting with some of the other products mentioned on these boards.

Remember, not everything is for everyone. We don't all have the same time, money, or standards needed to make us happy, that's why there are so many different products out there. Cheers.
Old 11-23-05, 07:24 PM
isdsms
Driver

Thank you for your lengthy reply. I have used Nu Finish on my cars in the past with good results. On my new IS350, I used Mothers car wash, Klasse AIO and Poor Boys EX-P. For the interior used Zaino Z10. I had great results. There is a difference. My curiousity about Nu Finish stemmed from a neighbor wanting my son to detail his car using Nu Finish. My son refused to use it, urging the client toward Zaino instead.
Old 11-26-05, 12:23 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used Nu-Finish on the cars until I discovered Zaino 4 yrs ago.
I still prefer it on my motorcycles and wheels
Don't forget, it used to rate number one by Consumer Reports before the internet and forums opened the world to better unadvertised products not in Wally World/Kmart/Target.

Later,
JU