Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

IS leather

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 12:19 PM
lexusboi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS leather

Anyone have any suggestions on how to protect the leather on an IS 250/350. I'm thinking about placing seat cushions to prevent scratches from keys/coins/sharp objects in the back of people's pockets. On the same note, any recommendations on good leather cleaning/maintenance products? Thanks.
Old 11-28-05, 12:55 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusboi
Anyone have any suggestions on how to protect the leather on an IS 250/350. I'm thinking about placing seat cushions to prevent scratches from keys/coins/sharp objects in the back of people's pockets. On the same note, any recommendations on good leather cleaning/maintenance products? Thanks.
any regular leather cleaner (or mild soap like Woolite) and protectant (Armor All) would do just fine (I know we all want to use what's best on our new baby--spending more money doesn't always gurantee better result. I wouldn't use a cushion--looks too tacky. Clean the seats with moist cloth regularly for dust, and apply leather/vinyl protectant to keep it from drying out and cracking. Window tints and sun shade also help tremendously for durability.
Old 11-28-05, 01:02 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jlin101
any regular leather cleaner (or mild soap like Woolite) and protectant (Armor All) would do just fine (I know we all want to use what's best on our new baby--spending more money doesn't always gurantee better result. I wouldn't use a cushion--looks too tacky. Clean the seats with moist cloth regularly for dust, and apply leather/vinyl protectant to keep it from drying out and cracking. Window tints and sun shade also help tremendously for durability.
I would NOT use Armor All on any part of my car, the residue it leaves behind is nasty and it eventually eats away at the tires

I would use Lexol for both cleaning (the pH cleaner is the best imo) and conditioning (protecting) the seats

for the dash, tires, doors use 303 Aerospace Protectant (I also put it on my wheels, makes cleaning off break dust a breeze)

both items can be found here (and are in stock, i just checked):

www.detailersparadise.com
Old 11-28-05, 02:38 PM
lexusboi
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys. Hope you are having as much fun driving the IS as I am.
Old 11-28-05, 03:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I got: http://hendrickserver.com/autoguard/...REBROCHURE.pdf
Old 11-28-05, 06:50 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I've used Lexol conditioner but didn't like the smell. The Lexol cleaner is ok though.

The best leather conditioner I have ever used is Zaino Leather Conditioner, it is like leather in a bottle, the smell is incredible, exactly like the smell of new leather. It works great for me.
Old 11-28-05, 07:02 PM
lexusboi
Rookie

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
I've used Lexol conditioner but didn't like the smell. The Lexol cleaner is ok though.

The best leather conditioner I have ever used is Zaino Leather Conditioner, it is like leather in a bottle, the smell is incredible, exactly like the smell of new leather. It works great for me.
Cool, where can this be purchased? The Hendrick system looks good too but its probably expensive!
Old 11-28-05, 07:10 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Scroll down to Leather in a Bottle and click to read.

I've been using Zaino for years and have been very happy with results, they ship quickly too.
They will answer any questions by phone or email, really nice folks.
Old 11-28-05, 07:19 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusboi
Cool, where can this be purchased? The Hendrick system looks good too but its probably expensive!
~$600, they apply it inside and outside, and it comes with some warranties of some sort.

I'm desparate, I had to go with a preemptive strike for a black vehicle; my last black car looked terrible after only a few years and a fair amount of care.
Old 11-28-05, 08:27 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Having leather seats and then covering them is somewhat baffling to me...........You paid for the comfort of leather, only to hide if from use........strange.

I like the Maguires leather cleaner and conditioner. It has worked well on the 330i and they are stll soft and clean after 3 years.
Old 11-28-05, 09:36 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't tried doing anyting on the leather seats yet. But for the previous cars, I was using Zymol leather cleaning kit (a leather cleaner and a leather protectant) or just Zymol Treat leather protectant. I like them as they are natural. One question in my mind is how Zymol leather cleaning products are compared to Zaino or Lexol ones.

Have anyone tried all three before and which one do you like most?

Zymol Treat
Zaino Leather protectant
Lexol Leather protectant
Old 11-29-05, 05:45 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

I used Lexol before and also did not like the smell and stickiness. With the exception of aniline leather in the LS and SC, all Lexus leathers are sealed with polyurethane (someone quoted this from Lexus's leather supplier) so most of the things we applied to it is not absorbed into the leather at all--I think a basic water repellent type of protectant is adequate. But it's your money.