Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What would/did you do for first ever detail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05 | 09:26 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Default What would/did you do for first ever detail?

Preparing to get my first ever brand new car from Lexus. This actually will be the 2nd attempt, since the first IS350 was marred with ultra-fine scratches due to a poor prep.

I've been told take the car from them immediately and clay and zaino it... I'm a newb in the detail dept. and don't want to screw up my car, so I may consider just driving it over to a reputable detailer.

At any rate, curious what all of you did upon new or slightly used car delivery.
Old 11-30-05 | 01:18 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by ES3
Preparing to get my first ever brand new car from Lexus. This actually will be the 2nd attempt, since the first IS350 was marred with ultra-fine scratches due to a poor prep.

I've been told take the car from them immediately and clay and zaino it... I'm a newb in the detail dept. and don't want to screw up my car, so I may consider just driving it over to a reputable detailer.

At any rate, curious what all of you did upon new or slightly used car delivery.
Many here have instructed their dealer to not touch the paint prior to delivery. What you have at some (many) dealerships is some untrained young minimum wage kid polishing your car prior to delivery. They can and often do more damage than you can easily remove. Depending on your weather and facilities, I'd probably consider a professional at this time of year.

What needs to be done is a wash, clay, light polish and sealant. If it were warmer or if you have access to a heated garage you can do this yourself.

If you don't have a heated garage at least avoid using anything but touchless car washes. Winter is hard on the paint, especially if you do a lot of freeway driving. Consider having a clear bra installed and don't tailgate or you will be hit with salt chunks and small gravel which will chip your paint. If you can afford a winter beater to drive in the bad weather I'd do it.

If you do this yourself be sure to use premium quality products from reliable manufacturers and also get into the habit of using good technique. Use the two-bucket method of washing your car and be sure to have a grit guard in the buckets. Use new sheepskin mitts. Use microfiber waffle weave drying towels. Use new foam or microfiber covered applicator pads. Use high quality microfiber towels, not the Xmart specials.

Scratches and swirls are easier to prevent than to remove so take extra care with anything that touches your paint so that you don't cause them.

Enjoy your new car.
Old 11-30-05 | 11:37 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the advice, I wonder if it's something with Lexus paint, because these were adults who prepped the car, with what seemed to be clean towels!?
Old 12-01-05 | 06:17 AM
Guitarman

these were adults who prepped the car, with what seemed to be clean towels!?
Clean towels are not enough. It will depend on what TYPE ( what it was made of) of towel they used, how they used them (methodology) and even more variables.

That's the problem, you can damage paint even if you follow 2 basic steps then forget the 3d. It's that easy.

Jim's advice is sound, take your time and work through the process, or find a reputable detailer with some local references. Good luck, enjoy the car!
Old 12-01-05 | 06:57 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

The advice above is exactly what you need to do. It sounds like you probably got a black car since you noticed the microswirls so quickly. Polishing out the swirls is not that tough with a PC and a little experience but if you do not properly wash and dry the car as described above you will get swirls again.....guaranteed. The way your car is washed and dryed is critical to maintaining a good paint job. NO sealant, including Zaino, will prevent swirling if you use improper wash techniques.

Personally I would NEVER let anyone wash, dry, detail, or even touch my car. There are SOME professional detailers that are fantastic but MOST SUCK. Don't assume any professional, dealer, or shop is good or bad unless you are willing to suffer the consequences. Check out their work personally or better still learn how to do it yourself.

If any vehicle is properly prepped (wash, clay, and polish) then almost any quality sealant or wax will look stunning. By polishing I mean REMOVING, not covering up, any swirls, scratches, etc. before applying a wax or sealant. Good luck.