Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

***BEST! way to keep clearcoat lips Shiney and nice?***

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 11:00 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ***BEST! way to keep clearcoat lips Shiney and nice?***

I know this is a wheel question but it does have to do with care and detailing

I’ve read many threads but I haven’t found Proof of what work to keep them nice and shiney… Can you please share your experience?

The place that just polished and clearcoated my lips said all I needed to do is clean it w/ car soap and water and that’s it ...can this be right? Should I use special cloths?
I’ve noticed some clearcoat lips have many scratches on the lip and this is what I want to avoid ...its not cheap to repolish and clearcoat my wheels

Thanks

Erick

Last edited by LEXISM; 12-14-05 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-14-05, 11:33 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Erick, yeah man...if they have a clearcoat just use soap and water and ONLY clean the rims when they're cool to the touch or you can damage the clearcoat. I use microfiber towels on my car and they don't scratch. You can usually get them on sale at various auto accessory places.
Old 12-15-05, 03:56 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

With the clearcoat it should be easy. Once you clean them I recommend using the Poorboys wheel sealant. It will help keep brake dust and dirt away pretty well. If the lips are not clearcoated then it is a pain to keep clean.
Old 12-16-05, 08:30 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

where can i get this ? poor boys ?
Old 12-16-05, 09:06 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXISM
This site has good prices. They carry the whole line of Poor Boy products.

http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/pro...?ItemID=pw-whe

Try looking on www.autopia.org for lots of information about detailing and auto care
Old 12-21-05, 10:14 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

what about wheel wax ?
Old 12-21-05, 01:03 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I'll second the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant, this summer I pulled the 18" aluminum wheels off my truck to give them a good polish, I ended up wet sanding and polishing the entire inside lips as well and coated them with Poorboy's. On the next tire rotation I pulled them off and they wiped clean, still shiny, and that is on the inside of bare aluminum wheels. Great stuff!
Old 12-22-05, 08:41 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

DetailedImage.com I order everything exclusively from them and they have really great prices. One jar of the wheel sealant will last about 20 to 30 applications. I think I would HATE my non clearcoated lips if it werent for this stuff
Old 12-22-05, 09:20 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
DetailedImage.com I order everything exclusively from them and they have really great prices. One jar of the wheel sealant will last about 20 to 30 applications. I think I would HATE my non clearcoated lips if it werent for this stuff
You should take a look on www.sportscarcare.com ; their price on the Poor Boys World wheel sealant is only $11.95. Detailed image wants $15.99 which is full retail price. BTW Lexism, wheel sealant=wheel wax. And for cleaning wheels, I can reccommend P21s Wheel Cleaner $13.45 in a 1/2 liter spray bottle. Spray it on, hose it off. Dirt and brake dust almost melt away.

Last edited by DetMich1; 12-22-05 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-27-05, 09:38 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DetMich1
You should take a look on www.sportscarcare.com ; their price on the Poor Boys World wheel sealant is only $11.95. Detailed image wants $15.99 which is full retail price. BTW Lexism, wheel sealant=wheel wax. And for cleaning wheels, I can reccommend P21s Wheel Cleaner $13.45 in a 1/2 liter spray bottle. Spray it on, hose it off. Dirt and brake dust almost melt away.
ok is P21s Wheel Cleaner..clear coat safe?
and how about Poor Boys World wheel sealant ?
Old 12-27-05, 08:59 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

ok is P21s Wheel Cleaner..clear coat safe?
and how about Poor Boys World wheel sealant ?
As far as P21s , absolutely safe on clear coat and all other painted surfaces like those on BMW, Porche, & MB. It is the recommended cleaner of several of the major German auto companies. It is pH neutral, will not cause hazing or damage to the finish. I have used other Poor Boy products including the wheel sealant which is also definitely safe. I haven't used the wheel cleaner made by PB though.
Old 12-28-05, 05:10 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

That is the price on the website but not the price everyone pays. They always have great incentives and if you message them they give out great deals. Even if I pay a tiny bit more I know what I am getting and I trust them. Not saying the other site is not reputable but Detailed Image takes care of me
Old 12-29-05, 02:24 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
That is the price on the website but not the price everyone pays. They always have great incentives and if you message them they give out great deals. Even if I pay a tiny bit more I know what I am getting and I trust them. Not saying the other site is not reputable but Detailed Image takes care of me
I have purchased from both of those sites as well as some others. I just know that across the board, SportsCarCare is usually the lowest priced of all that I've seen. If you don't know the current code for the discount of the day, or especially if you're like me and up late at night doing your shopping, you can't be bothered with messaging them and waiting till someone emails you back to find out what the real price is gonna be. I think its great when someone puts up a competitive price and its out there for everyone to see.
Old 01-03-06, 02:59 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

If you don't know the current code for the discount of the day, or especially if you're like me and up late at night doing your shopping, you can't be bothered with messaging them and waiting till someone emails you back to find out what the real price is gonna be. I think its great when someone puts up a competitive price and its out there for everyone to see.
I totally agree