Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Just Bought a CPO What Steps to Clean and Wax it for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 09:20 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just Bought a CPO What Steps to Clean and Wax it for the first time

I just bought a 2002 SC430, and I want to give it a full wash, clay bar, wax ect. I want to do it right the first time so it'll be easier to wash/wax later. I really dont want to wax the car all the time I would much rather spend alot of time on it one time and not have to worry about it for a while. So my question is what steps/products should I use for the best outcome. IE should I wash, clay bar, wash, wax, wax ,wax?
Old 12-27-05, 06:34 AM
owm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My standard procedures for new vehicles are:
1. Wash with Dawn or other mild dishwashing liquid (using sheepskin wash mitt)
2. Claybar the vehicle with a QD (as a lubricant)
3. Wash again with car shampoo (eg. ArmorAll Blue, NXT Wash and wash mitt)
4. Dry vehicle (using waffle weave MF)
5. Apply paint cleaner (eg. Klasse AIO using foam applicator and MF buffing cloth)
6. Wax or sealant (eg. Collinite 476/885 using foam applicator and MF buffing cloth)

2 good websites I recommend to read up on are:
http://www.web-cars.com/detail/business.php
http://autopia.org/forum/index.php?
Old 12-27-05, 09:03 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is a tried and true procedure for attaining the best possible results.

1. Wash, using the two bucket method and new sheepskin wash mitt. Use a grit guard in the buckets and rinse the mitt after each body panel. Dry with waffle weave microfiber towel. (Use a wash designed for cars and not dishes.) Quality car washes have a much higher lubricity and therefore reduce the chances for marring your paint.

2. Clay the surface, in 2' x 2' section at a time using the QD lubricant supplied in the kit. Use lots of lube and wipe surface dry with a soft MF as you finish. Before you start cut the clay bar into thirds and put the unused pieces in a ziplock bag. If (when) you drop a piece of clay throw it out and grab one of the pieces you stored. Never try to reuse a piece that has hit the ground. Once you finish claying the paint move on to the glass. Finally move to your wheels.

3. Polish the paint with a good cleaner/polish. Assuming you are doing this by hand by hand. Try AIO, Meguiar's ColorX, or Meguiars Deep Crystal Cleaner #1. Use new quality foam or mf covered applicator pads. Work the polish until it breaks down. Again do a 2' x 2' section at a time. You might want to follow up with a glaze following this process if you desire a very wet look. Use something Like Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #7 or their Deep Crystal Polish #2.

If you have access to a Porter-Cable DA polisher this polishing step becomes much easier.

4. Evaluate your finish. If you have remaining swirls or scratches you can hit the blemishes with Meguiar's ScratchX.

5. Wax using your choice of quality products. Apply the Wax or sealant very evenly and very thinly. You should hardly see any product remaining on the surface when you apply. Wait 12-24 hours and apply a second coat if you like but any more than two or three coats of anything are superfluous.

There are dozens of good products to use and they all deliver looks that are very close to the same. If fact you would not be able to tell the product used on two cars in a blind test. The stunning good look comes from the polishing step and no so much the wax. The wax seals in the look and can affect the longevity of that freshly detailed look. There are lots of product zelots on these and other detailing forums but use whatever looks good to you and gives you the results you like.

Since you're in a warmer climate I'd suggest a sealant may hold up to the heat better than a wax. If you like mail ordering products Zaino is well known for it's long lasting durability. I prefer Meguairs NXT Tech Wax which is a sealant. I follow up with Meguiar's Booster Spary Wax after every other wash which leaves my car looking freshly detailed all the time.

Use a Quik Detailer (QD) to keep the bird droppings off your paint. Keep a bottle and a mf in your car and use it as soon as you see any crap on the paint.

Pay attention to avoiding anything that comes in contact with your paint. Avoiding scratches and swirls is easier, much easier, then removing them.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-27-05 at 09:07 AM.