Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Keyed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-05, 09:28 AM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately she has no real proof of who keyed her car. I've thought about asking for surveillance from Costco - seems like a lot to go through though. We haven't reported the matter to police, nor to our insurance company - I would bet it to be extremely rare for a vandal of this type to be caught or punished; our choice not to call insurance is because our deductible is something like $500? and I dont' want to risk our rate to go up. - Don't know if this makes sense...

Seems like we're just gonna have to live with it and get it re-painted.
Old 12-24-05, 09:38 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by keeeeez
Unfortunately she has no real proof of who keyed her car. I've thought about asking for surveillance from Costco - seems like a lot to go through though. We haven't reported the matter to police, nor to our insurance company - I would bet it to be extremely rare for a vandal of this type to be caught or punished; our choice not to call insurance is because our deductible is something like $500? and I dont' want to risk our rate to go up. - Don't know if this makes sense...

Seems like we're just gonna have to live with it and get it re-painted.
It's up to you, but in your position, I'd want to do everything I could to make sure the woman was brought to justice (if it really was her). I would say there is a very good chance that the lot is under video surveillance - Costco doesn't want to be liable if someone is assaulted or mugged in their parking lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if they put it up as a legal protection. Plus, if the lot is busy, there's a decent chance that there would be eye witnesses, but they don't know who to talk to since they don't know who owns the car. I would talk to the police, but if you don't think it's worth the effort and want to foot the bill on your own, that's your choice.
Old 12-25-05, 06:04 AM
QikSilvr
Driver

My .02 cents, A similar thing happened to my Daughters car in front of our house. They broke all the glass in the car. It was a 93 Mazda, but it was still her car and about $1500 to repair, which was about what the car was worth. We called the cops and they actually did a good job of investigating. They found a witness that was walking his dog, that saw a car pulling out of the neighborhood at high speed. Well, the cops tracked down the car and when they questioned the kids, they broke down to admitting to it. The parents fixed the car and the kids served 100 hours of community service rather than have us press charges. Maybe they learned something?

Call the police. If for no other reason than making your wife feel protected, and it may even turn out for the better or prevent someone else having the same happen to them.
Old 01-11-06, 02:43 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Well.. here's the scratch. You can't really see jack from my picture bcuz (1) I suck at taking pictures (2) My camera sucks, so even if I was good at taking them, it would still look like crap.

Anywayz, I'm revisiting this post because I had a discussion with my wife about her getting her car fixed. Is it just me, or is it that most women don't really give a crap about their cars. Seriously, she's like "oh well, maybe when I get around to it I'll fix it". I mean the break dust that's been accumulating on her wheels makes me just shake my head.
Attached Thumbnails Keyed-picture-001.jpg  
Old 01-11-06, 03:04 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Without a better angle it's impossible to say, but there is a high probability that the scratch in that picture could be polished out, it looks superficial.
Old 10-28-08, 08:27 AM
cu2cool
Driver School Candidate

I have a black 97' ES300 with a key scratch. It looks white and it runs from the driver's side to the rear door. Would you guys recommend touching it up with paint from like Walmart or an Auto store? I also have 3M swirl remover and wax, which I haven't tried on it yet, but I'm not sure if it will take out the scratch.