Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Keyed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 02:27 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyed

Yup, wife's car got keyed. What's with some people?

Anywayz, ya.. someone mentioned Color Sanding in another post - anyone tried this or know if this works?
Old 12-23-05, 02:30 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BUMMER.

Curious, what color was it?
Old 12-23-05, 02:37 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

it really depends how deep it is. might want to get in touch with a good body shop to confirm. i had a key mark on my brother's car that a few body shops told me had to be painted and was able to be color sanded out.
Old 12-23-05, 02:38 PM
Dr C
Driver

yup. My Ferrari had two places where some little wipe keyed it - all the way down to the metal. You have to wonder what makes some people tick.
Old 12-23-05, 03:12 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by keeeeez
Yup, wife's car got keyed. What's with some people?

Anywayz, ya.. someone mentioned Color Sanding in another post - anyone tried this or know if this works?
Ouch, my condolences. Was she taking up two parking spots, or anything else that might have provoked it?

Not familiar with color sanding as a method of scratch repair. I'd always heard of body shops doing it as part of a repaint to minimize orange peel.
Old 12-23-05, 03:44 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Color sanding is for single stage paints or cars being re-painted. If the scratches are down to the metal and are sufficiently long/thick it'll need a re-paint. If they're not too large then a touchup/wetsand/polish may do the trick. Pictures would help.
Old 12-23-05, 06:22 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

I'll post pics when I can. Went to Lexus - they recommended that I take it to a body shop that they frequently use. Without even seeing it, the guy quoted me $700-800. Holy crud!
Old 12-23-05, 06:29 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Oh and as for what my wife did to warrant this - she tells me that she thinks it happened at Costco. She was waiting for this guy to pull his car out for like 5 minutes, when the guy finally is pulling out, another car comes around the corner and turns as if to take the spot - well the guy knew that my wife was waiting so he intentionally blocks the other car, and my wife pulls in.

The chick honks at her and yells some explitives. My wife actually felt like the lady was gonna do something to her car - but she let it go!

I dunno, I think I would've re-parked, but that's just me. I was always careful with my G35 - not one visible scratch or one door ding - always parked away from high traffic areas or far in corner parking spaces.. stuff like that.

Hey.. does the new IS come with touch up paint? I forgot if it did or not. I might try it. Or should i?
Old 12-23-05, 06:31 PM
mhiggi02
Driver

So sorry. So much for holiday spirit I guess.
Old 12-23-05, 07:44 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

oh man, i am so sorry to hear that.
Old 12-23-05, 07:54 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[snip] Hey.. does the new IS come with touch up paint? I forgot if it did or not. I might try it. Or should i?
I remember seeing touch-up paint being available for IS 250/350's on a website. So I'm sure it's available?

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 12-23-05, 07:56 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The touch up paint is available... but that's not for a real cosmetic fix... it's really to just cover up any bare metal to prevent rusting.

Depending on the color of the vehicle and the depth of the scratch, you may want to see an experienced detailer to see if it's possible to take out... there are methods of applying touch up paint and then wet sanding (I think it's the same as color sanding?) the area to match the car...
Old 12-23-05, 08:55 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xravexboix
The touch up paint is available... but that's not for a real cosmetic fix... it's really to just cover up any bare metal to prevent rusting.

Depending on the color of the vehicle and the depth of the scratch, you may want to see an experienced detailer to see if it's possible to take out... there are methods of applying touch up paint and then wet sanding (I think it's the same as color sanding?) the area to match the car...
Wet-sanding and color-sanding are the same thing but normally have different purposes. Kind of a semantics thing. Color sanding is to reduce the appearance of orange peel on single stage paint jobs or after a re-paint. Wetsanding is to remove heavy marring or touchup blobs after touchups. Wetsanding works wonderfully on rock chip and door ding touchups, but on key marks it's much more difficult since the actual process of touching up a key mark (which can be very long and wavey) is really tough.
Old 12-23-05, 10:42 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and as for what my wife did to warrant this - she tells me that she thinks it happened at Costco. She was waiting for this guy to pull his car out for like 5 minutes, when the guy finally is pulling out, another car comes around the corner and turns as if to take the spot - well the guy knew that my wife was waiting so he intentionally blocks the other car, and my wife pulls in.

The chick honks at her and yells some explitives. My wife actually felt like the lady was gonna do something to her car - but she let it go!

I dunno, I think I would've re-parked, but that's just me. I was always careful with my G35 - not one visible scratch or one door ding - always parked away from high traffic areas or far in corner parking spaces.. stuff like that.

Hey.. does the new IS come with touch up paint? I forgot if it did or not. I might try it. Or should i?
Does she remember what kind of car the other person was driving, or possibly license number? Did you report it to the police? They might be able to try to find some witnesses, especially since it probably occurred in a pretty busy parking lot. If the amount of damage is really $700-800, the police will probably be interested.
Old 12-24-05, 12:03 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
Does she remember what kind of car the other person was driving, or possibly license number? Did you report it to the police? They might be able to try to find some witnesses, especially since it probably occurred in a pretty busy parking lot. If the amount of damage is really $700-800, the police will probably be interested.
I second that idea. Perhaps Costco has video surveillance in their lot? Be great to make that woman pay for her crime.

Quick Reply: Keyed