Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

question's on using a buffer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 07:37 PM
sahiwal007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question's on using a buffer?

is a buffer safe for my black lx470? , and also how do i use it? is it better than hand wax?
plus is this a good buffer http://www.autobarn.net/vec235.html if not can you guys tell me which one can i get from auto barn .
thanks alot
Old 12-30-05, 10:01 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sahiwal007
is a buffer safe for my black lx470? , and also how do i use it? is it better than hand wax?
plus is this a good buffer http://www.autobarn.net/vec235.html if not can you guys tell me which one can i get from auto barn .
thanks alot
Junk.

Get a Porter Cable
Old 12-30-05, 10:09 PM
cantsleepnk
Driver

thanks alot
Since you have a 4 yr old black car I suspect that you want a buffer to remove scratches and swirl marks. This buffer is not designed for this sort of work. What you need is a Porter Cable 7424 random buffer with the appropriate pads. My advise is to pay a little more and get the real thing .It'll last a long time and you'll get better results.You won't regret it. Read the stickies in the detailing forum and you'll get a better idea of what the PC can do.
Old 12-30-05, 10:28 PM
sahiwal007
Driver School Candidate

oh ok thanks, what is a really good scratch and swirl mark remover? that i could buy from auto barn and i dont want to get a really expensive buffer because it's my first time using a buffer, when ill get use to one ill go on to the porter cable . thanks for the help
Old 12-31-05, 01:43 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

oh ok thanks, what is a really good scratch and swirl mark remover? that i could buy from auto barn and i dont want to get a really expensive buffer because it's my first time using a buffer, when ill get use to one ill go on to the porter cable . thanks for the help
None of these polishers are worth it but since you're not interested in the PC just buy the cheapest one.Make sure you use a clean bonnet and clean towels when you're waxing your car otherwise you can do some serious damage and introduce more scratches on your black paint. Come to think of it it might be easier and safer for you just waxing and polishing by hand than using one of these polishers.

Good Luck
Old 12-31-05, 12:35 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I second what cantsleepnk said. If you are not going to use a quality buffer that uses orbital action and high quality pads you may just regret it. I've seen the results from friends who brought me their car to repair after they hosed the paint with an el-cheapo buffer and a wool pad. IT was much worse than before they started. If you are not going to go the Porter-Cable route and are thinking of the cheap buffer forget it and do it by hand. The other option is to take it to a professional but for the same money you can buy a PC.
Old 12-31-05, 02:08 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Seriously you should save your money. Use that 25% off coupon just posted and get a Porter Cable, I just got the whole top of the line kit with polish for $150.

I made the same mistake you are about to make and bought a Craftsman buffer / polisher it is worthless. Not to mention with the cheapo ones they vibrate so much after an hour you feel like you just did it all by hand anyway, get a nice expensive balanced one. You'll use the cheapo once and vow never again.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....ht=black+lexus

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....ck+lexus+rx300

Last edited by toy4two; 12-31-05 at 02:12 PM.