Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need help: how to remove adhesive residue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 05:07 PM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: how to remove adhesive residue?

Need some help.

Previous owner had put a clear plastic cover over the headlights and foglights. Recently, the plastic was starting to yellow and bubble. So yesterday I pulled off the plastic covers off the headlights and foglights. Now, there is this very strong adhesive residue left on the headlights and foglights. The adhesive covers the whole headlight but more in certain areas (see picture).

I've tried "goof-off" and "goo gone" in small areas and doesn't seem to work very well. Are there special adhesive remover that I can get to remove this residue? How can I remove this safely?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Need help: how to remove adhesive residue?-glue.jpg  
Old 01-08-06, 08:46 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are some safe things you can try;

Soften the residue up with a hair dryer on high for a few minutes, then apply either mineral/baby oil, or peanut butter. You may have to lay a paper towel over those and let it soak the glue for a while before you try and remove it. They won't harm the lens and the peanut butter has a fine abrasive quality to it along with the oils that help loosen and break down the glue.

If they don't work; Try 3M Adhesive & Wax Remover. I've seen it at Wal-mart, but if you can't find it there, you can find an automotive paint supplier that should carry it. I'm not positive, but it *should* be safe for clear plastic. I've used it a lot, but not on headlights.It will say on the container what to avoid.

You can also wetsand them and then compound.polish them out. It will be tedius, but should work. I'd start with 1000 grit (no coarser than that initially), then 1500 or 2000, then rubbing compound and finally a light/fine polish.

let us know what works.
Old 01-08-06, 09:35 PM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Thanks, Guitarman, for the suggestions.

I will give the mineral oil a try first, since I have some handy. I will swing by Walmart tomorrow to see if I can find the 3M Adhesive & Wax Remover. Hopefully, I can stay away from wetsanding.
Old 01-09-06, 02:19 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Here are some safe things you can try;

Soften the residue up with a hair dryer on high for a few minutes, then apply either mineral/baby oil, or peanut butter. You may have to lay a paper towel over those and let it soak the glue for a while before you try and remove it. They won't harm the lens and the peanut butter has a fine abrasive quality to it along with the oils that help loosen and break down the glue.

If they don't work; Try 3M Adhesive & Wax Remover. I've seen it at Wal-mart, but if you can't find it there, you can find an automotive paint supplier that should carry it. I'm not positive, but it *should* be safe for clear plastic. I've used it a lot, but not on headlights.It will say on the container what to avoid.

You can also wetsand them and then compound.polish them out. It will be tedius, but should work. I'd start with 1000 grit (no coarser than that initially), then 1500 or 2000, then rubbing compound and finally a light/fine polish.

let us know what works.
the oil does help but before you spend a lot of money, use some dish washer soap on a warm, wet, sponge and let it sit on the spot and keep it warm with a heat lamp then rub away(soft side) and then try some Mothers polishing compound(red case), this worked like a charm for me.
Old 01-09-06, 09:03 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
the oil does help but before you spend a lot of money, use some dish washer soap on a warm, wet, sponge and let it sit on the spot and keep it warm with a heat lamp then rub away(soft side) and then try some Mothers polishing compound(red case), this worked like a charm for me.
Thanks, I will give this a try if the mineral oil doesn't work.
Old 01-09-06, 12:49 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kts_GS3
Thanks, I will give this a try if the mineral oil doesn't work.
yeah man if you keep the dish soap coming it will eat away at that junk it's mean stuff!
Old 01-09-06, 12:53 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

graphic installers use xylene (i think thats its name) after removal on vehicles.... my best friend is an installer i'll ask him when i get a chance.