Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

waxing wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 03:07 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxing wheels?

does anyone wax their wheels? when cleaning my dad's z3 and mom's es330 the brake dust comes off so much easier because they are clearcoated. however, either my wheels didnt come with clearcoat or it has completely come off. would waxing help? also nervous bout what happens when the wheel heats up real good from driving with wax on it.
Old 01-11-06, 03:47 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xevuhtess7
does anyone wax their wheels? when cleaning my dad's z3 and mom's es330 the brake dust comes off so much easier because they are clearcoated. however, either my wheels didnt come with clearcoat or it has completely come off. would waxing help? also nervous bout what happens when the wheel heats up real good from driving with wax on it.
I would advise using a polymer sealant instead of wax. Due to the high temperatures that a whell buils up wax will melt off. The sealants such as NXT are much more durable on wheels.

The wax however is nothing to get nervous about; it will do no harm or affect the driving characteristics of the car.
Old 01-11-06, 04:44 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Klasse AIO and SG. All I use to clean them weekly is a wool mit and some Wolfgang shampoo.

The Klasse twins will be more durable than the NXT, but you could also try 4-Star UPP, Zaino, Blackfire, Wolfgang sealant, etc...
Old 01-11-06, 06:43 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

i wasnt worried about the driving characteristics haha, i meant more along the lines of the wax baking on and getting all nasty or damaging the wheels. i use nxt on the body already so ill apply that to the wheels and see if it helps brake dust come off easier. thanks!
Old 01-11-06, 07:07 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wax my wheels when i have to rotate my tires. I like to clean all inside the wheel and wax the whole thing down with NXT. It really is amazing how long your wheels will stay clean if you do that.
Old 01-12-06, 05:55 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by southernsc
I wax my wheels when i have to rotate my tires. I like to clean all inside the wheel and wax the whole thing down with NXT. It really is amazing how long your wheels will stay clean if you do that.
I've been able to keep the inside of my wheels spotless.LIKE YOU, I applied NXT to them and when I wash I use the Meg's wheel spoke brush. That brush holds lots of soap and you can bend it into an "L" shape to get the inside of the spokes and wheel. Best wheel brush I've ever found and it is inexpensive.

Old 01-12-06, 03:08 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

never seen that brush in stores before... where'd you get it?
Old 01-12-06, 04:32 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Xevuhtess7
never seen that brush in stores before... where'd you get it?
I got the brush at an Autozone but I've seen it in a Pepboys too.