Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

just bought the PC 7424, need polish help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 04:57 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default just bought the PC 7424, need polish help

I just purchased the 7424 fom coastal tool, with the 6" weight and backing plate bonus, and some Lake Country white and red pads.

I have a white 2001 LS430. I am having trouble deciding which polish to use. I have heard a lot of good things about Zaino, but apparently I don't need the buffer with the Zaino?

Should I return the buffer?

Or should I use a different polish with the buffer, like the Klasse AIO, and put Zaino on top by hand? I wanted to try out the buffer because it sounds fun but I don't want to be wasting my money either.

Last edited by jpcdmd; 01-19-06 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-19-06, 06:34 PM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PC is great for lightly working the paint and applying polish in a nice thin even coat. It also speeds things along compared to applying and removing wax by hand. Although, I actually stopped using the bonets to remove the wax, after doing so many times, I find it easier to do it by hand. I use Meguiars products, and have always gotten great results, even from their consumer product line. I have all the pro line to now and you can ask anyone who has seen my car, it is always looking good.

Good luck,
Old 01-20-06, 04:32 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

I made a decision and a purchase.

I will start with Menzerna Final Polish followed by Zaino. I picked up some Ultra Fine Microfiber towels from Pakshak also.

Can't wait till all this ish comes in the mail!
Old 01-22-06, 06:20 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your choice is a good one, that will work. I know *some* people have said they apply Zaino by PC, but I think it's better hand applied with directionality.

The PC will work well with the Menzerna Final Polish, let us know how you do.
Old 01-22-06, 10:11 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was considering the exact same thing, since I just got a Porter-Cable buffer as well. But will this polish really be OK under the Zaino? I thought I read that the Menzerna polish had some oils added to it to increase its work time or otherwise make it easier to work with. If it leaves anything on the surface, isn't it no good to use under Zaino???
Old 01-22-06, 02:47 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcdmd
I made a decision and a purchase.

I will start with Menzerna Final Polish followed by Zaino. I picked up some Ultra Fine Microfiber towels from Pakshak also.

Can't wait till all this ish comes in the mail!
The Menzerna line is an excellent product. I have a Black Onyx GS 400 and as I'm sure you all realize, black is the most unforgiving paint color of all. The car must be washed frequently to look its best, and its necessary to use meticulous technique to prevent the introduction of swirls to the paint. For removal of surface marring, I use Menzerna Intensive Polish with a light cutting pad followed by Menzerna Final Polish with a polishing pad. After prep, I top with Klasse AIO followed by P21s carnauba wax. Its unlikely you will need to use IP as white does not show swirling to the degree that black does. Zaino has a large folllowing but I don't have any first hand experience with it. In order to make white really "pop" be sure to treat all the seals, weatherstripping, and tires, rims, and wheelwell liners to make them look fresh and black not chalky or grey. And get at the glass to sparkle. The contrast of the black items mentioned will contrast with the white paint and set it off nicely. When everything is properly done, white can be almost as dramatic as black.
Old 01-22-06, 04:26 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I was considering the exact same thing, since I just got a Porter-Cable buffer as well. But will this polish really be OK under the Zaino? I thought I read that the Menzerna polish had some oils added to it to increase its work time or otherwise make it easier to work with. If it leaves anything on the surface, isn't it no good to use under Zaino???

I think I have to wash the car again after I polish with the Menzerna, then lay down the Zaino.