Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

**Porter Cable 7424 on Black Onyx**what's good for best results?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 05:19 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **Porter Cable 7424 on Black Onyx**what's good for best results?

Whats up guys I just recently got My Porter Cable 7424 and I just wanted to know what your guys did to get the best results on your Black Onyx ...what products?what pads? what speed? what method?

I want my car to look like DAVE's ...lol
Old 01-19-06, 06:27 PM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Hey man, it's Joel,

You need to evaluate the paints condition first, then test products to see what works best. I have a ton of different Meguiars stuff, all pro line. I also am open this weekend. If you want, I can bring my big azz box of goodies over and help you out.
Old 01-19-06, 08:33 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have detailed Black Onyx GSs before and I use Poorboys SSR2.5 followed by AIO and Pinnacle Souveran and it left a very liquid and reflective finish. It was my neighbors car and he was thrilled with it.

I start the PC on "4" with SSR2.5 and after working it in for a few minutes boost the speed to "5" or "6". I prefer the Lake Country variable contour pads and I like a flexible backing plate which works well on the fenders.

The Lexus black paint is terrific compared to that of BMW which I also have some experience with.
Old 01-20-06, 12:04 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yESman
I have detailed Black Onyx GSs before and I use Poorboys SSR2.5 followed by AIO and Pinnacle Souveran and it left a very liquid and reflective finish. It was my neighbors car and he was thrilled with it.

I start the PC on "4" with SSR2.5 and after working it in for a few minutes boost the speed to "5" or "6". I prefer the Lake Country variable contour pads and I like a flexible backing plate which works well on the fenders.

The Lexus black paint is terrific compared to that of BMW which I also have some experience with.
yESman,
Do you use a light cutting pad with the SSR 2.5? Does the SSR2.5 work down fine enough that you can go directly to your sealant without any hazing or hologram problems? I have a Black Onyx GS and for swirl removal I use Menzerna IP followed by Menzerna FPII. Do you apply the Klasse AIO with a polishing pad? Ever add a coat of Klasse SG before the carnauba wax? I hear the Souveran is very nice on black, I haven't tried it yet. Have you ever used Poor Boys Natty's Blue? I hear its very simillar to PS. I have been using P21s wax. Very easy on easy off.
Hey did you see the pics of WeDsMaN 's GS in the GS Forum? Great job on his Black Onyx paint by a professional detailer:
Attached Thumbnails **Porter Cable 7424 on Black Onyx**what's good for best results?-s3.jpg  
Old 01-20-06, 07:41 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

Do you use a light cutting pad with the SSR 2.5? Does the SSR2.5 work down fine enough that you can go directly to your sealant without any hazing or hologram problems?
I have found either a light cutting pad or even my preferred finishing pad works fine with SSR2.5. My neighbor's car had only light swirling at the time. I find that if you use a finishing pad, you can go right to AIO, although if using Zaino a Z-6 wipe is highly recommended. You can also follow with the much lighter SSR1 which is more like a paintwork cleanser than polish...this will finish the surface up nicely. P21S GEPC or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser also works fine if you have any of those. The two Menzerna products you mentioned are fine as well.

I apply AIO by hand with a PakShak Ultrafine applicator pad, let haze, and remove with Excel Detail edgeless microfiber 16x16 towels.

I do not like SG...it dulls the clarity of AIO in my experience. I suggest going right to Souveran and then applying on a weekly basis Pinnacle Crystal Mist. I also really like Natty's Blue, not quite as wet as Souveran but a real bargain and probably 90-95% of Souveran look. Blue looks great on Black Onyx as well as the Lexus dark blue.
Old 01-20-06, 09:18 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joel5150
Hey man, it's Joel,

You need to evaluate the paints condition first, then test products to see what works best. I have a ton of different Meguiars stuff, all pro line. I also am open this weekend. If you want, I can bring my big azz box of goodies over and help you out.
thanks joel but not this weekend
Old 01-25-06, 09:38 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

which pads should I buy and from where ? Im looking at the VC pads ...but which colors
Old 01-25-06, 09:57 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I like having at least one of each level of aggressiveness, so in the case of Lake County pads (which seem very popular), one yellow, orange, white, and black. I'd recommend getting a couple white pads if you have the money, odds are you'll use it most.
Old 04-08-06, 07:48 PM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

I recently bought a PC 7336 and an assortment of pads. Here is my proceedure, let me know if I need some more steps.

SSR 2.5 Yellow / Orange with PC 4K-6rpm.
SSR 1 Orange with PC 4K-6rpm.
Klass AIO with applicator pads, remove with Microfiber
Pinnacle Souvern with applicator pads, remove with Microfiber.

Any reason to apply AIO with PC or add a Step with SSR1 with a white pad and PC?

Thanks
Old 04-09-06, 02:00 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

The Black Onxy really cleans up nice with a PC.

Use this chart to pick your products:

http://www.dano.pocketrubbish.com/de...oductchart.htm

I start at Level 6 and work my way down. I have no personal preference, just price, as long as they are on that list, I buy them (no turtle wax junk).