Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dealership washing your car

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 02:30 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership washing your car

I can't believe I forgot to tell them NOT to wash my car after my IS350 got serviced.

I got my car back yesterday and there were major swirl marks (it's a black onyx IS). I just hope a good polish/wax can fix this. My car is only two months old so I'm not sure if the paint is ready for a proper polish/wax yet.
Old 01-20-06, 02:32 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

You can wax/polish the car if you want. It's not like the car was painted JUST before you got it. I'm sure the paint is cured by now, usually after a repaint you should wait a month or so to do anything, so you should be good. Go back to your dealer and have them detail your car. Insist on it because they washed it and left swirls. If your dealer is any good, they'll buff the car for free for you. I'm glad my Lexus dealer has a touchless
Old 01-20-06, 07:53 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Paint is baked at the factory, it can be polished the day it leaves the line.
Old 01-21-06, 12:07 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Nalley Lexus in Atlanta is very good about this...they have a system for eliminating the wash. I also am careful about putting small signs on my windows that say "No Wash". One time there was a mixup and I did not have my usual signs...they gave me a $50 credit for my next service and several folks apologized. Just more superior customer service from Lexus. I need new tires soon so that $50 will be wiped out quickly.

They are so friendly that we talk detailing every service visit I have. The young guys who do the wash ask me what products I am trying these days.
Old 01-22-06, 04:15 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I sure wouldn't let the dealer try to fix it .....they might make it a LOT worse. If you don't have a PC then find a reputable detailer and let them polish out the swirl marks.
Old 01-22-06, 05:17 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Yeah, I was thinking that this is a free service, so it really isn't worth arguing about it. I'm just going to find a reputable detailer to polish them out and eat the cost of it. It's not a big deal.
Old 01-22-06, 06:28 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I also have a "No Wash" sign when I visit my local Lexus dealer. I know that they mean well when they want to wash my RX, but they simply don't do a good job keeping it scratch free. I rather spend the money and go to my favorite local car wash.

Other than some hairline swirls, I also have this scratch on windshield. Obviously by someone who washed my RX with his watch on the wrist - a big no-no for detailers.
Old 01-23-06, 07:10 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Yes, I also have a "No Wash" sign when I visit my local Lexus dealer. I know that they mean well when they want to wash my RX, but they simply don't do a good job keeping it scratch free. I rather spend the money and go to my favorite local car wash.

Other than some hairline swirls, I also have this scratch on windshield. Obviously by someone who washed my RX with his watch on the wrist - a big no-no for detailers.
I see you're in Colorado. Who is your Lexus dealer? I'm still deciding whether or not I should make Kuni Lexus pay for a polish for my car, since they were responsible for the bad swirl marks (I mean they're pretty bad...really hurts the look of my car). Between this and their lack of effort to fix my alignment issue, I'm not happy with Kuni right now.
Old 02-01-06, 11:31 AM
kdnlex
Driver School Candidate

Default not to worry

Thirty days for paint to cure is plenty. After the car is manufactured and shipped (usually a 24-27 day trip from Japan) the time spent in transit from port to your dealership will exceed the 30 day mark.
Old 02-01-06, 05:37 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I see you're in Colorado. Who is your Lexus dealer? I'm still deciding whether or not I should make Kuni Lexus pay for a polish for my car, since they were responsible for the bad swirl marks (I mean they're pretty bad...really hurts the look of my car). Between this and their lack of effort to fix my alignment issue, I'm not happy with Kuni right now.
I did my 30K at Kuni and was fairly happy with it. I wax myself though. I normally use Burt Toyota on Broadway for routine stuff.

There's a car wash/detailer on County Line near Quebec. Can't remember the name of it, but my friend had his dark blue Bimmer detailed there and he's very happy with the work. He goes there every 3 months. (I think he's nuts.)
Old 02-01-06, 06:56 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kdnlex
Thirty days for paint to cure is plenty. After the car is manufactured and shipped (usually a 24-27 day trip from Japan) the time spent in transit from port to your dealership will exceed the 30 day mark.
The paint is baked in Japan. You'd be able to wax the paint before it even touches the boat.

BTW, taking it back to the dealer/detailer who messed it up in the first place is stupid. That's like asking them to screw it up more.

Please don't just go by reputation or word of mouth when it comes to detailers. Make sure you see their work. Be very picky when you see swirls or any sort of wax left anywhere. This is the detailer's advertising directly to you, the potential customer. Don't just assume that since they're professionals that they do good work. I work for a dealership and he thead detailer is horrible. I'd never refer anyone to him.
Old 02-03-06, 04:14 PM
wally719
Driver School Candidate

you may want to try a good one step cleaner wax and then a really good finishing sealant like zaino. if you dont mind spending a little money and elbow grease i would suggest a good clay bar (clay magic), zymol hd cleanse, and either zymol carbon wax or zymol japon wax (specially formulated for japanese cars.
Old 02-03-06, 04:27 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wally719
you may want to try a good one step cleaner wax and then a really good finishing sealant like zaino. if you dont mind spending a little money and elbow grease i would suggest a good clay bar (clay magic), zymol hd cleanse, and either zymol carbon wax or zymol japon wax (specially formulated for japanese cars.
I don't think Zaino will adhere to a surface after a wax has been laid down. You can top a sealant with a wax, but not the opposite is generally untrue.