Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water Blade

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-01, 04:48 PM
jinos
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody tried the California Water Blade or any similar car wiper? I've bought one to dry my Expedition and am wondering if I should use it on my Lexus. There is a warning that the car needs to be free of any loose material prior to using the Water Blade and it works great on my Expedition, but I'm wondering if I should take the chance on the GS... I don't worry about the paint on the expo nearly as much as I worry about the GS, if anybody has tried it, I look forward to the input.

thanks
Old 08-12-01, 04:52 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well its true, since its silicon it will not hurt your car at all, but if it traps a small rock or something under it while you sweep you'd get a huge scratch, so i guess if you're gonna use it just rinse off your car really well and make sure theres no hard things on the surface. I think you would be fine using it, how does it work on the expedition? you still need to use a towel after to dry everything right?
Old 08-12-01, 04:58 PM
jinos
Rookie

it works great on my expedition, I just followup with a chamois to get the water completely off and out of the tricky areas. Other than that I love the thing, it helps me dry the beast much faster than towelling down the whole thing, with little or no water spots, I've enjoyed having it. Guess I just worry, gotta keep that GS pretty, you know what I mean.
Old 08-12-01, 05:09 PM
HDDuece
Driver

I got one for my Superduty but it was a pain to use. Only good on flat areas. Now I only use it to dry off the shower door. Would never use it on the 430.
Old 08-12-01, 05:53 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
heres a little trick i learned about washing/drying your baby.First it's OK to soak your car with asprinkle head before you soap it, but when washing off the soap remove the sprinkle head and let the water run free on the car ,direct the water flow in the direction of the body lines ie,top of hood down to grill etc.what this does is allow the cohesive force of the water to remove the water itself leaving VERY little water on the car.Them use a full size 100% cotton towel to dry, using the towel as if you are spreading a bed,spread it on the body panels and just pull it along, like pulling a table cloth off a table, keeping as much of the towel in contact with the car as possible.Guranteed you car will be dry and you will never wring that towell out once,the towell will be about 30% damp.
Old 08-12-01, 09:42 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default I use a California Water Blade on my LX

Haven't had any problems with it. Except that it's useless on the roof where the roof rack is.
Old 08-13-01, 04:53 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

I use that California Blade on my GS400 it works great especially because i have a BLACK car..and you can see water spots easily!!...but this thing doesn't leave any water spots and no scratches at all

just my 2 cents
Old 08-13-01, 05:55 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

You guys should try Rain-X. You wouldn't need wipers anymore.
Old 08-13-01, 07:54 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i think i'm gonna order a california blade, anyone know where i could?
Old 08-13-01, 09:25 AM
jinos
Rookie

Default Water Blade

I picked one up at Costco, if there's one in your area and you have a membership or know somebody who does you might want to try there.
Old 08-13-01, 09:27 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

yea thers one of those around here, i'll check it out thanks man.
Old 08-13-01, 09:27 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default ......

Hey Diesel, you alright? I use Rain-X on my windshield...are we talkin about the same thing? I also use Fog-X but I don't think that's all it's hyped up to be on the bottle.

Sasha........I bought mine from Meijers, I know Murray's sells them too. Try your local hardware/auto parts store.
Old 08-13-01, 09:31 AM
Ltuned
Driver School Candidate

I wash my GS just about every 3days (White wheels) and I use THE ABSORBER, no water spots it has its own plastic tube to store it in, and if it get dirty after use, you can wash it in our washing machine, it works well. and it sells for $10.00.
Old 08-13-01, 02:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I use the Cali Blade as well, and it works great as a first method to get the bulk of the water off. I believe I got mine at a Kmart or Walmart.

I used to use Rain-X prob 5 years ago, works great in the rain but found that it sometimes caused blurring during daytime viewing... Perhaps I didn't work long enough to apply it evenly enough. Good reminder though, it works great on helping keep headlights clean.

----------------------------------
THE ABSORBER ... and if it get dirty after use, you can wash it in our washing machine
----------------------------------

L-tuned, I'm looking forward to getting the Absorber and coming over to your house to wash it. Do you also do underwear?
Old 08-13-01, 03:00 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by LexusRules
i think i'm gonna order a california blade, anyone know where i could?
Sasha go to Canadian Tire.. I got mine a few months ago on sale for $24.99 CDN

It works great and saves me a good 30 minutes when drying the GS.. Just follow the instructions on the package and you should have no problem.. And always wash the blade before and after using it.. Also try and keep it in the original case.. Use that and a good chamois and the GS will look mint..

As for Rain-X I don't know what I did without it.. All the bug crap comes off the windshield so easy now and not to mention makes your wipers perform better!

Just my 2 cents!

Quick Reply: Water Blade