Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Just when you thought a clear bra was enough...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-06, 08:09 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just when you thought a clear bra was enough...

I must be unlucky, getting pelted by debris everywhere else besides the area that's protected by the clear bra. After washing my car yesterday, I noticed a huge chip on the A-pillar right above the side view mirror that goes down to the metal. It's also right in the middle of two panels, possibly making it more difficult to touch-up. What is the best way to go about touching this up?

Last edited by SGT; 01-29-06 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-29-06, 09:05 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's going to be tough - it's on the lip right? So it's part of the blue paint? I'd say prime it then touch it up with a toothpick, but don't add any thinner to the paint and don't overdo the coats, layer it really slowly so when you finally get to the clear there won't be much of a blob. If it were me at that point I'd sand with 3000 unigrit by hand then polish with scratchx (obviously you can't get a PC or rotary pad in there), and hope that does it. You could try Langka in there but you might not have enough room to work with - just make sure to let the paint dry for 24 hours before using langka or you might pop the touchup out and that would stink.

Luckily it's in a spot that won't be very visible when touched up, so it won't need to be perfect. Good luck.
Old 02-01-06, 06:49 PM
wally719
Driver School Candidate

i dont usually post replys but i recently used this product on my toyota and it worked pretty well. i dont know if it works on just one or two chips that well but it did a good job on my car. touchup123

Old 02-04-06, 06:37 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by picus
That's going to be tough - it's on the lip right? So it's part of the blue paint? I'd say prime it then touch it up with a toothpick, but don't add any thinner to the paint and don't overdo the coats, layer it really slowly so when you finally get to the clear there won't be much of a blob. If it were me at that point I'd sand with 3000 unigrit by hand then polish with scratchx (obviously you can't get a PC or rotary pad in there), and hope that does it. You could try Langka in there but you might not have enough room to work with - just make sure to let the paint dry for 24 hours before using langka or you might pop the touchup out and that would stink.

Luckily it's in a spot that won't be very visible when touched up, so it won't need to be perfect. Good luck.
Thanks, picus. Since I don't trust myself as I have no experience doing touch-ups, I'll bring it into a detailing shop and have them do it.
Old 02-04-06, 06:37 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wally719
i dont usually post replys but i recently used this product on my toyota and it worked pretty well. i dont know if it works on just one or two chips that well but it did a good job on my car. touchup123
That stuff looks like it works pretty well.
Old 02-04-06, 09:02 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
Thanks, picus. Since I don't trust myself as I have no experience doing touch-ups, I'll bring it into a detailing shop and have them do it.
Cool - it'd be a one hour job from me. Shouldn't cost you very much at all.Good luck.