Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 07:29 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning tips for "on the go"

I wanted to start a thread where I can get some insight from everyone here regarding tips for keeping this car clean. Specifically I am interested in ways that I can keep my car clean that does not entail using a hose- that will have to wait until I go home from college in the summer. Things I would like to know is what type of product/method is good for cleaning the wood in my car, navigation screen from finger prints, keep my windows looking clear, dashboard/steering wheel/other plastic in the car, and of course the leather. I purchased the leather cleaner and conditioner that Lexus offers at my local dealership (I am not sure if this is the best stuff to use but I got it anyway). Is it possible to treat my leather too much and too often? How bout over treating the wood/dash and plastic? Also if you have any other cleaning tips or products you highly recommend let me know what you have to say. I am somewhat young and don’t have much experience under my belt with cleaning cars so any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks and have a good one.

Last edited by brewkp4; 02-16-06 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-10-06, 08:23 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brewkp4
I wanted to start a thread where I can get some insight from everyone here regarding tips for keeping this car clean. Specifically I am interested in ways that I can keep my car clean that does not entail using a hose- that will have to wait until I go home from college in the summer. Things I would like to know is what type of product/method is good for cleaning the wood in my car, navigation screen from finger prints, keep my windows looking clear, dashboard/steering wheel/other plastic in the car, and of course the leather. I purchased the leather cleaner and conditioner that Lexus offers at my local dealership (I am not sure if this is the best stuff to use but I got it anyway). Is it possible to treat my leather too much and too often? How bout over treating the wood/dash and plastic? Also if you have any other cleaning tips or products you highly recommend let me know what you have to say. I am somewhat young and don’t have much experience under my belt with cleaning cars so any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks and have a good one.
A damp cloth will suffice for the interior, including the leather. Unless you also work as a mechanic or like to sit on the ground on campus, the black leather really shouldn't require any special cleaning other than dusting. I've tried furniture polish on the wood trim, but it tended to leave oil smudge, so I now use a damp cloth only (FREQUENT cleaning is the key). I periodically apply leather/vinyl protectant-water repellent (such as Armorall) on the leather and plastic. Some people don't like it because they have problem with streaking. If you spray the protectant on a damp cloth, and then wipe, you won't get any streaking. It's also much easier to apply than leather lotion (such as Lexol) which can get sticky. Most car leathers are already coated with polyurethane, so I don't think leather conditioners get absorbed all that well anyway.
As for the exterior, if you don't want to wash the car regularly, at least wipe it with a damp cloth (gently start from the top and work your way to the bottom, and rinse the cloth freqently in a bucket of water) on a weekly basis. Obviously this only applies to light dust and not to road salt and dirt you may have from snowy days--that will require a car wash.
Old 02-10-06, 08:43 AM
saske
Rookie

Just the thread I was looking for. With the amount of different products out there, getting some specific recommendations on what works with the interior materials of the IS is great.
Old 02-10-06, 10:16 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

won't wiping the exterior with a damp cloth scratch the hell out of the finish? you HAVE to rinse the thing otherwise you would just be wiping the dirt into the finish (like sandpaper). yes it will work for light dust, but youre going to have to wipe it down every day! little dust quickly turns into light dirt. some people use the california duster (i think its called that) but i havent tried it myself. there has to be a carwash around somewhere, or get some hot sorority girls to wash it - preferably scantily clad...you may want to get a bottle of mcguires quick detail. the stuff is great to just get rid of bird crap or splatter...stuff that could damage your finish.
i agree that just a damp cloth will sufice for the interior. i only condition my seats like every 6 months or so.

Last edited by umpalumpa; 02-10-06 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-10-06, 10:45 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Well it isn't like I do not wash my car at all....it is just that since I live on campus I have no place to connect a hose...so I pretty much just take my car to a local wash once a week or every two weeks.....thanks for the tips on the interior....keep the suggestions flowing...
Old 02-10-06, 10:54 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i just noticed that you have the blue onyx...that is a really nice color! and dark! realistically, you're in college on campus, so you will be LUCKY to get to the car wash every two weeks, between all the studying and partying! hopefully you will be parking in a structure and not out in the sun..that will help you a lot. i think if you can get it washed every couple to 3 weeks you should be good. you really need to be careful and do your best to prevent those fine scratches from showing on your finish. it seems like if you can lay down a good wax and keep it out of the weather, youre gonna be in good shape. defiinitely get that quick detail and spray it on the bird crap as the acid in the turd could eat away at your wax and paint. go through this forum a bit and you will find out about a lot of great products...i've learned a TON and won't take my car to a carwash at all now!
you just have to do the best you can in your situation. good luck!
Old 02-22-06, 06:47 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Yup, found out this past weekend- right after spending $30 at a local car wash- that my school has a place in our parking lots where you can wash your car. My school provides a nice area to do this and provides a hose connected to a water source. Now all I need to do is get some cleaning stuff and all my problems I had earlier will be eliminated. Thanks for everyone's help.