Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 01:21 PM
prinzessni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing Car

It's time to give my RX a bath, she is beyond dirty! I feel like a dork asking, but what's good stuff to use?

I would normally just go to the car wash but not with this car! Gotta baby her
Old 02-10-06, 01:46 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Mr. Clean Autodry Car Wash. Wash and rinse and watch the car dry itself. The soap actually cuts the dirt very well, and smells really good too.
Old 02-10-06, 03:16 PM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nonsense...read the threads throughout this section. You want:
1) a quality car wash soap. McQuires, Blue Coral, ect. that will not be harsh on finish and wax, but will clean off the dirt and grease;
2) Wash with 100% cotton only towels or a sheepskin wash mit - something that absolutely will not scratch car finish
3) a good dryer - again 100% cotton towels, an ELECTRIC (only) blower, The Absorber or chamios. Again, something that will not scratch the surface.

That's it!

Next, I recommend Zaino Show Car Polish process to a) protect your RX, and b) to shine your RX like you ain't ever seen!!! Great stuff and this from a life long McQuires guy!
Old 02-10-06, 04:20 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LSUFanMan
Nonsense...read the threads throughout this section. You want:
1) a quality car wash soap. McQuires, Blue Coral, ect. that will not be harsh on finish and wax, but will clean off the dirt and grease;
2) Wash with 100% cotton only towels or a sheepskin wash mit - something that absolutely will not scratch car finish
3) a good dryer - again 100% cotton towels, an ELECTRIC (only) blower, The Absorber or chamios. Again, something that will not scratch the surface.

That's it!

Next, I recommend Zaino Show Car Polish process to a) protect your RX, and b) to shine your RX like you ain't ever seen!!!
You're on the right track, but seem to be a little old school.

Meguiar's has good store bought soaps. Alot of boutique detailers like the Gold Class car wash because it's cheap, convenient, and does a moderately good job. If you want to get fancy with shampoo, check out Wolfgang Auto Bathe, or 1Z Perls. Both are only availiable online.

Don't wash with towels. They have no knap(nap?) to hold the dirt. They don't rinse too freely either. Better yet, ditch anything cotton. It only leaves lint. Wash with atleast 2 sheep skin mits, and 2 buckets. One bucket has the soapy water while the other is used to dunk the dirty mit as a 'rinse bucket'. Alternate the mits through the rinse bucket as you clean each section (each door, hood, half of the roof, etc...) You might also try chenille mits, but I personally never cared for them. Don't forget to wash top to bottom. The bottom is typically the dirtiest part of your car, and by washing it last, it keeps your wash/rinse water cleaner, longer.

For drying, leave the cotton towels. They're obsolete by now. You can dry with the leaf blower, if you don't mind the funny looks you'll get (believe me, I know ) or the weight. The chamois aren't reccomended anymore because they, once again, have no knap(nap?) and if you come across some dirt on the paint for whatever reason, the chamois can't pick it up into the fibers away from the paint. Try to find some good waffle weave microfiber drying towels. They're the latest and greatest for drying. Meguiar's has a store bought version out now called the "Water Magnet" or something like that. Pretty much anything in microfiber is replacing anything else now. I just don't care for the MF wash mits. MF doesn't rinse to freely either. Chenille and sheep skin do.

Use any kind of wax/sealant/combo you want. If you want to finish the car properly, clay it, polish it, and then seal/wax it. Check out http://autopia.org to learn up. The end result is in the prep. Without properly prepping your paint as I mentioned, then all you're doing by washing it is exposing your swirly, contaminated paint

Great stuff and this from a life long McQuires guy!
I thought this was kind of funny coming from a life long Meguiar's guy
Old 02-10-06, 08:24 PM
Barefoot B
Driver School Candidate

Here ya go http://www.wizardsproducts.com/ My cousin is the CEO and founder of this company. Its pretty much show vehicle products (just like all of our toys) and the best stuff I have ever used. He is probably the main reason I purchased a Lexus also, he has two of them. I have used just about eveything on my show cars but nothing matches his products.

Just go to any BIG, BIG, car show and ask the top guys what they use. I think you will find alot of them using Wizards. Expecially the ones down by Vegas

If you guys want to try any of this product just let me know and I can get you dealer cost. The supreme seal is awsome on all of my black vehicles and the boat also. The soap he has a very concentrate and one bottle lasts forever. The bug remover works great to without harming the finish.

I am just voicing my opinion on the best I have found. And its not just because my cousin owns the company.

Good luck with whatever you use, Bob
Old 02-10-06, 11:31 PM
prinzessni
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions

Washing the car seems like hard work and a guy's job! Hopefully I do an okay job, haha!

Sooo...where do I buy these car washing products?

I feel so lame asking questions like this - I guess I'm more into clothes and not detailing my car I will learn though!!
Old 02-11-06, 05:53 AM
Barefoot B
Driver School Candidate

Well if your looking to try what I suggested just call me at 507-404-0167

Take care, Bob
Old 02-12-06, 09:36 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default All You Need To Know-

http://carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=14

Check out their how to articles for other procedures as well.
Old 02-12-06, 12:52 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

check out Wolfgang Auto Bathe, or 1Z Perls.
I also recommend P21S, Poorboy's Super Slick and Suds and if you need a bit of bite, Zaino Z-7.

I would suggest in any case you invest in...

1. Quality sheepskin mitt for washing.
2. Waffle weave drying towel - they are thirsty and won't scratch and perform much better than chamois. PakShak is the best vendor.
3. A bucket with a "grit guard" at the bottom to keep dirt down.

Remember to use one mitt for the paint and something else for wheel cleaning as brake dust and wheel dirt in general can create havoc on paint and clearcoats.

Besides Autopia, another great site is www.detailersclub.com and the articles by David Bynon on www.bettercarcare.com

Have fun!
Old 02-12-06, 12:55 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

By the way, here is David on car washing: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=9

...and waxing: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=29
Old 02-14-06, 12:17 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yESman
I also recommend P21S, Poorboy's Super Slick and Suds and if you need a bit of bite, Zaino Z-7.
I haven't tried the PB's or P21S. Isn't the P21S a pre-bodywork, wax removing wash?

How do you like the PB's? I've heard good things...