Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

how do you get the shine back on polished lips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 07:06 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default how do you get the shine back on polished lips?

how do i get the shine back on polished lips on rims? looks like there is oxidation and is not shinny anymore. any DIY stuff? thanks
Old 02-15-06, 01:54 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Meguire's mini-power ball and use their polish on my lips and it polishes them up to look like mirrors. I use a cordless drill no problem.
Old 02-15-06, 06:00 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

what was the condition of your lips before?
Old 02-15-06, 06:15 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P21S Polishing Soap works very well also.
Old 02-15-06, 06:41 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my personal experience, I recommend you to use Mothers Billet Polish...Clean the area throughly with automotive degreaser or wheel cleaner and rinse before you do anything...Rub Mother polish on with a wax applicator pad on the area where you need to polish...Repeat until the shine and reflection is back in those lips...Use a clean & dry microfiber cloth to wipe off polish residue....IMO, Best stuff you can use by hand..

I would follow this by effectively sealing your newly polished area with Poorboy's wheel sealant....Apply as directed....I prefer to use 2 coats for the extra protection against unwanted brake dust and oxidation...But whatever you decide to do is up to you...

Good luck!

Last edited by One HoT; 02-15-06 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-15-06, 11:50 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

i have some oxidation...how do i get rid of that?
Old 02-16-06, 02:39 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
i have some oxidation...how do i get rid of that?
It's a lot of work without the proper power tools....Even with the right tools, it takes about 2-3 hours per wheel to get the like-new shine back into your wheel....Typically thats how long I take on each wheel myself, but I'm extremely ****...I need that original shine back in my wheel....

You have to wetsand the the oxidated areas with 500 grit sandpaper, then 800 grit then 1000 grit until surface is very smooth...After your done, you'll notice that the oxidation is gone however, you will notice that the metal is very dull...So you'll need to repolish the whole area once again.....You can repolish by hand but it is very tedious..The results will not be spectacular....

So for this, I recommend that you get the Mother's Powerball...It's a cheaper alternative than getting a polishing machine which costs in the neighborhood of 200 dollars...They are priced btw 20-30 dollars depending on where you go...

They sell Powerball at most auto supply stores and on the internet...Even eBay has them...Check it out....

Good luck.
Old 02-16-06, 07:39 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

what does anyone know about that stuff? i emailed the guy and he says that it will take off the oxidation. what do you think? i have the power ball and it really does shine everything up but the oxidation is still there.
Old 02-17-06, 09:43 AM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello guys,

I just came across this thread and I have a set of iForged wheels with a polished lip. I am planning on taking my rims off this weekend and taking pick of before and after shots of my wheels. I am going with the NXT Generation all metal polysh from Meguiar's Next Generation line, and I have tried a small portion on there and....WOW what a difference. I will post with pick on monday after I have started with one wheel.

Here is the link: http://meguiars.com/?wheel-care/NXT-...l-Metal-Polysh

Cheers,

Revhard191