Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-06 | 06:15 PM
DiamondBLK
Driver School Candidate

Default Zaino question

My car is brand spanking new. How long should I wait before I start a Zaino regimen on the exterior? (dawn wash, clay, polish, wax, etc..)

While I definitely want to use Zaino someday, I don't want to do it if it isn't necessary yet. Nor, do I want to damage the new shiny coat the car looks like it has now.

Can someone please shed some light?
Old 02-15-06 | 08:43 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Right away. There is no "cure time" on factory paint. Odds are wherever you bought the car applied a wax or sealant when they prepped it so you've probably got some paint protection for a month or two, but you never know. So go nuts.

In your case assuming the car is new and has no swirls/scratches all you'll need is to dawn wash, clay (optional, but recommended), then seal with Zaino.
Old 02-16-06 | 05:11 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by picus
Right away. There is no "cure time" on factory paint. Odds are wherever you bought the car applied a wax or sealant when they prepped it so you've probably got some paint protection for a month or two, but you never know. So go nuts.

In your case assuming the car is new and has no swirls/scratches all you'll need is to dawn wash, clay (optional, but recommended), then seal with Zaino.
I agree, do it now and get a good seal on your new car. You will love the results!
Old 02-16-06 | 09:34 AM
DiamondBLK
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information!

So, since my car is brand new with no scratches or swirls and you recommend I seal it with Zaino...

WHAT ZAINO products should I use?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-06 | 09:40 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The only ones you *need* are Z2pro and ZFX, the Z2 is the sealant and the ZFX the stuff you mix in to give it its durabilty. Also recommended it Z8, which is a sort of quick detailer+sealant mix - you use it after washes or whenever you want to give your cars shine a kick in the pants. It's good stuff.
Old 02-16-06 | 11:49 AM
DiamondBLK
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased Z2 Pro, ZFX and Z8.

Can someone please explain to me the procedure? Please keep in mind that my car is brand spanking new (1 week old) and I do not think I need to clay first, etc...

Can I just apply the Z2 right on the car from the Dealership? It looks very shiny and am not sure if the Z2 will "take" over the current glossy coat.

This is what I think I should do:

- Dawn wash with SheepSkin mitt. (How much Dawn/ How much water?)

- Apply Z2 Pro/ZFX with Microfiber towel- let dry for about 20 minutes and buff off with clean Microfiber towel. Use Z8 in small areas and buff immediately.

- Second Coat: Apply Z2 Pro/ZFX with Microfiber towel- let dry for about 20 minutes and buff off with clean Microfiber towel. Use Z8 in small areas and buff immediately.

-Third Coat: Apply Z2 Pro/ZFX with Microfiber towel- let dry for about 20 minutes and buff off with clean Microfiber towel. Use Z8 in small areas and buff immediately.

I really appreciate any feedback!

Last edited by DiamondBLK; 02-16-06 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-16-06 | 12:10 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Well claying is optional, but even on a new car I recommend it for two reasons. Even new cars can have contaminants in the paint and it will strip whatever wax you currenty have on the car. That and it's $10 from a local pep boys or autozone. Here is the process either way:

Wash with dawn and a good mitt. Use two buckets, one with dawn+water and one with just water for rinsing out the mitt. Dawn:water is probably about a capful/gallon. It doesn't really matter as long as you don't skimp. Remember to rinse the mitt out thoroughly after every panel in the water only bucket.

If you're going to clay, do it now.

If not, dry the car with a good mf towel or quality cotton. It helps if you run the hose without a nozzle over the car to let the water sheet off after the wash. This removes a good 50% of the water you'll need to dry.

Mix the Z2 and ZFX in the bottles provided. Apply with either a mf towel with very little nap or a foam applicator (I recommend the foam). Apply *very* thin. The thinner the coat of Z2 the better. If you apply it too thick it's a huge pain to remove.

Wait until it hazes and buff it off with the mf towel. A little water to dampen the towel or some quick detailer will help you remove it.

Repeat.

When you're done wipe the whole car down with some Z8 and it should look stunning. Remember to dress the tires and rubber/plastic trim - you can get some good tire dressing/trim dressings locally.
Old 02-16-06 | 12:51 PM
DiamondBLK
Driver School Candidate

THANK YOU for the information. That is great!

I have to ask, though... Why Dawn as opposed to regular car wash shampoo?

Also, after the Zaino procedure... I should just use regular car wash shampoo for subsequent washes (as needed) and NOT Dawn, obviously, right?

Last edited by DiamondBLK; 02-16-06 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-16-06 | 01:34 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DiamondBLK
THANK YOU for the information. That is great!

I have to ask, though... Why Dawn as opposed to regular car wash shampoo?

Also, after the Zaino procedure... I should just use regular car wash shampoo for subsequent washes (as needed) and NOT Dawn, obviously, right?
Well the dawn wash is really optional too. Zaino recommends it because it'll strip most waxes prior to applying Zaino (Z2 won't bond over a wax). If you were claying or polishing you wouldn't need to dawn wash, and actually dawn wash technically isn't the best way to remove old waxes/sealants, but it's easy and Dawn if familiar to everyone, so that's what Sal recommends. I'd do it this time just because it's an easy way to strip whatever the dealer put on the car.

And yes, after you apply Zaino wash with an automotive wash definitely. Dawn isn't necessarily bad for your car, but it isn't great for it and it can dry out trim is used excessively. You're better off using a real car soap.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to pics.