Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Touchless Car Washes??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 05:10 PM
DiamondBLK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchless Car Washes??

What are your thoughts on the Touchless Car Washes? I know that standard Car-Washes have a bad stigma attached to them because the rotating brushes, etc... scratch your paint. However, what do you think about the Touchless Car Washes where just water, soap and wax is sprayed onto your car, then air dried with a machine at the end? I live in New England and it's nearly impossible to consistently hand-wash my car in the Winter-time and other times throughout the year due to our unpredictable weather.
Old 02-16-06, 06:10 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

They are generally dangerous. Often there are people wiping the car with swirl-riffic towels at the end. Sometimes the air machine will use a wheel that scratches the paint also. Some of the newer machines are said to be okay but I have my doubts...
Old 02-17-06, 05:57 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Touchless washes will not damage your finish and if it is too cold to wash it yourself it is better than leaving your car dirty. Be sure to use the totally touchless variety like the Lazer wash. I'd skip the wax application and opt for the wash and undercarrage cleaning. Don't go to a wash where some kids dry your car with towels.
Old 02-20-06, 11:20 AM
upbull340
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DiamondBLK
What are your thoughts on the Touchless Car Washes? I know that standard Car-Washes have a bad stigma attached to them because the rotating brushes, etc... scratch your paint. However, what do you think about the Touchless Car Washes where just water, soap and wax is sprayed onto your car, then air dried with a machine at the end? I live in New England and it's nearly impossible to consistently hand-wash my car in the Winter-time and other times throughout the year due to our unpredictable weather.
I have a dark gray metallic volvo that has to go through a car wash in the winter. I use a touchless car wash. I usually pass on the clear coat protection. During spring, summer and fall I do the work myself. My paint is just fine. You do have to be careful if you have rock chips as its possible the pressure from the spray could peel even more paint away. While I have small rock chips from the gravel in the winter the car wash I go to has not had a negative efect on the chips or after I touch them up. I'm getting a black IS this summer and I plan to continue using the touchless wash when absolutely necessary. I would never go to one with tracks, brushes or where a person drys it as it comes out.
Old 02-20-06, 11:49 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

I would urge caution. A lot of "touchless" car washes really are not. It depends on the quality of the business operation. And remember, the often lowly paid folks drying your car use terry towels to dry off and you never know where that towel has been and in my experience they almost always induce swirling.

Just want the owners here to be aware of the dangers. I learned the hard way about "touchless" car washes.
Old 02-20-06, 12:47 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing to consider is the chemicals used by "touchless" car washes........I mean they have to use something to clean the paint. I would also find out if they are using recylced water, dirt, debris, etc.
Old 02-20-06, 07:34 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

What about the water pressure these touchless car washes use. Is it strong enough to remove the wax or Zaino we work so hard to apply?
Old 02-20-06, 09:01 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i don't do automatic car washes.. they're not strong enough and they damage the car, i just do it myself, that way if something goes wrong, i know it's my fault and i have no one else to blame.. if you want it done right, do it yourself!

my 2 cents
Old 02-21-06, 06:06 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with them is...

You just don't know what the chemical make-up of the pre-rinse/rinse is. If you could talk to the owner (the operator may not know) then you might be assured. But *some* have been known (according to websites I have read this-no firsthand knowledge) to use a hydroflouric acid in the water/pre -rinse. Cleans well, but strips wax and sealant too, and can cause dulling...or worse. Now...these may be the minority, but how to tell?

It's a matter of knowing what's "in the mix" and that's not always easy to predict or ascertain, unless you know someone who works there who knows what goes into the process.

Some will try to cut costs and use hard water, but I would think most would use filtered /soft water in that business, at least as a rinse.
Old 03-02-06, 07:31 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camillian
What about the water pressure these touchless car washes use. Is it strong enough to remove the wax or Zaino we work so hard to apply?
Hey try the Canadian Tire car wash (Simoniz or something like that) at Rutherford and Jane, its amazing and when push comes to shuv (sp), I would still prefer to remove a little zaino with the salt rather than keep the zaino with the salt, if you know what I mean.

I'm refering to this location because I know you know where it is camillian,

cheers,

Fern
Old 03-02-06, 08:41 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

When I hear the term "Touchless Car Wash" I expect "Touchless" means no kids drying your car with questionable towels. All Touchless car washes are not the same. That's why I like to use the Laser Wash in the winter months. These dry your car with blowers. The rinse water is sprayed at up to 1,000psi so it is not really like using a high-pressure washer but is strong enough to remove most dirt and grime especially if you keep your car freshly waxed. They also use de-ionized rinse water so any drops that remain should not form spots.

This method of removing salt and winter crud is clearly better than leaving it on your car. I usually use a QD right after with some plush microfibers to gently remove anything still on the finish and I apply a booster spray wax after every other wash. This makes the paint very slick and slippery so the salt and crud are easier to remove.
Old 03-03-06, 03:46 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to use a touchless carwash here in Michigan during the winter. Every week my car is caked with salt. It's horrible I hate it. Damn west coasters you got it good, I should've stayed in Florida! The one I use has no tracks, no kids, nothing touches. But every spring its kinda like starting over but I look forward to it. I think the chemicals in those things strip everything. But even if they don't they add layers of their soap,wax,polish type crap over your nice wax/polish so you have to strip, clean, and start over. Once it gets a little warm, out comes the clay bar and the Zaino.
Old 03-03-06, 07:18 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
When I hear the term "Touchless Car Wash" I expect "Touchless" means no kids drying your car with questionable towels. All Touchless car washes are not the same. That's why I like to use the Laser Wash in the winter months. These dry your car with blowers. The rinse water is sprayed at up to 1,000psi so it is not really like using a high-pressure washer but is strong enough to remove most dirt and grime especially if you keep your car freshly waxed. They also use de-ionized rinse water so any drops that remain should not form spots.

This method of removing salt and winter crud is clearly better than leaving it on your car. I usually use a QD right after with some plush microfibers to gently remove anything still on the finish and I apply a booster spray wax after every other wash. This makes the paint very slick and slippery so the salt and crud are easier to remove.
That's exactly what I do. I don't know if the brand of touchless car wash that I use is a "Laser Wash", but it does exactly what you decribe.

I've never got swirl marks or scratches from it. I also apply a quick detail after the wash and it works great for the winter months.
Old 03-03-06, 11:56 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

It's a matter of knowing what's "in the mix" and that's not always easy to predict or ascertain, unless you know someone who works there who knows what goes into the process.

Some will try to cut costs and use hard water, but I would think most would use filtered /soft water in that business, at least as a rinse.
Well said Dan.