Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiars NXT great stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 03:18 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But spending almost the whole day to do a Zaino application isn't worth it to me if the result I get on my Millenium Silver Metallic car is about comparable in shine, but the NXT protection has outlasted my application of Zaino.
I wish I knew more about your process since it never takes me more than 30-40 minutes to apply a layer of Zaino. I use the same process I would for a carnauba layer or NXT. One of the things I like about Zaino is how easy it is to apply and how you can lay down a very thin layer. I probably use less than a half ounce on the whole car so that 8 oz. bottle goes a long way. As for durability, I have not seen anything outlast Zaino. It's the most durable product I have tested.

I have personally used NXT extensively as well as other brands and have found NXT to be just right for my needs
Well I have not made any negative comments about other people's processes or agendas. I've just been trying to share my personal experience. I just think you get way more quality from Zaino than using NXT. That's just my personal opinion. You don't have to follow my recommendation.

I started off very skeptical of Zaino given some of the zealotry of certain members on the detailing boards. I eventually found my way, after tons of different products, to a combination of AIO and Souveran on Millenium Silver. Only after some extended conversations with two friend's with significant professional detailing knowledge (I was a pro in high school and college) did I consider Zaino and even then I just did my trunk lid to test. I was impressed at first how clear it was but waited until I had about 3 months use and the beading was still holding up strong that I finished the rest of the car.

I really don't mean to disparage anyone else's opinion or experience but I really believe that Zaino is a very well done product. It's the best sealant I have tried so far. Better than EX-P, Wolfgang, Blackfire, AIO+SG, NXT and UPP in my experience.

Maybe the best thing is to try both and see for yourself.

One layer? Don't you mean 72? (Actually, I'd apply at least two layers of ANY product to ensure even coverage) Ah, the supposed benefits of multiple layers upon layers upon layers of Zaino.
This sounds like you don't have experience with the product. Zaino only needs one layer. Only a small group of users put in such many coats. Sal Zaino has said there is little benefit beyond two coats. Most people I know just have one coat and use the Z-8 QD spray after every wash which works as a booster. That does not take any longer than any other quality process or the NXT booster spray process.
Old 02-18-06, 03:26 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Just so we are being fair here, the original poster brought up Zaino in the first sentence and then proceeded to compare the two so I felt it was fine to chime in with my view since I had also done that comparison. I thought I was doing a service by trying to persuade him to stay with the Zaino system.

I was about to Zaino my Lexus weds.
Old 02-18-06, 03:35 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The difference between NXT and Zaino is that NXT is a stand alone product and Zaino is a system. There are pros and cons with each. Clearly folks have differing opinions on both.
Old 02-18-06, 03:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by yESman

Well I have not made any negative comments about other people's processes or agendas. I've just been trying to share my personal experience.

I think you've done more than just share your experiences...as you did first post:

Zaino simply crushes NXT in durability and looks in my opinion. The new Z-5 Pro will be another evolution of the product.
Now you're trying to shove your opinions as the only fact out there. I think you should step back a little and see how agressive you have come on this thread with the talk of Zaino. If you really want to talk about Zaino products, start a new thread. Don't taint a thread that was a perfectly good discussion to start with about NXT.
Old 02-18-06, 03:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by picus
The difference between NXT and Zaino is that NXT is a stand alone product and Zaino is a system. There are pros and cons with each. Clearly folks have differing opinions on both.
This is very true.

I personally use the NXT as my final protectant to the paint cleaning and polishing I have done with other products. The other products I use to prep the paint with is a clay bar obviously, Scratch X as a cleaner and from the Prof. Line...Speed Glaze #80 for my polish and my trusty Porter Cable DA polisher.
Old 02-18-06, 03:51 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Now you're trying to shove your opinions as the only fact out there. I think you should step back a little and see how agressive you have come on this thread with the talk of Zaino. If you really want to talk about Zaino products, start a new thread. Don't taint a thread that was a perfectly good discussion to start with about NXT.
Flipside, I don't agree with you this time, sorry. The original post begs for a rebuttal, since it not only talks about the excellence of NXT, but the apparent lack of capabilities of Zaino. And he didn't hesitate to mention Zaino either. I use both NXT and Zaino, and I completely disagree with the conclusions stated. I have never found a product that lasts longer than Zaino, or is more protective of paint, especially in its ability to have nothing stick to it easily. The answer may lie in the application of the product, but despite the fact that everyone wants to compare these two, they are fundamentally different products. California vs. East Coast weather/atmospheric conditions may also produce different results for different people.

I use NXT on my wife's RX300, NXT on my '88 Supra as well - but because I really want protection, I use only Zaino on the GS.

I do agree that these comparisons unfortunately quickly degenerate into Zaino vs. Product X battles, but this one was a set-up.
Old 02-18-06, 04:00 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Zaino is a system of sorts in that some product work especially well together but I have found that you can use other products to prep the paint and simply add in Z-2 Pro or Z-5 and periodically spray Z-8. I would suggest a very quick Z-6 wipedown but in this respect it is no different than prepping paint as you like and adding NXT plus a periodic NXT booster spray.
Old 02-18-06, 04:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by engin_ear
California vs. East Coast weather/atmospheric conditions may also produce different results for different people.

I do agree that these comparisons unfortunately quickly degenerate into Zaino vs. Product X battles, but this one was a set-up.
Agree to disagree. I have had my experiences with both products. The NXT works best for me as others have said in this thread.
Old 02-18-06, 04:43 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I can say to ameliorate this thread is to say...

Everyone is right.

The important thing in disagreeing is to avoid being disagreeable, so let's conduct ourselves in a way becoming of this forum and of the brand of car we're all here for. I'm not singling anyone out, because as already mentioned by others, there are strong opinions on each side which have been stated. Actually, I believe everyone has been pretty decent, at least up to now, so we can either keep it that way or lock the thread, which helps no one.

These 2 products are not really marketed for the same type of person, and they vary in many, many ways, yet give results that will please *most*.

To say one is better than the other is too subjective, because a 1 -step product is often best for one individual, and a boutique product that has no cleaners etc. suits another more ideally.

In the end, we all win because our cars look better than 99% of those on the road.

Now...take a deep breath, kick back and have a drink. But don't spill it in your car or we'll have to open another thread on upholstery cleaners! Hah!

Your friendly CL moderator Mr Dan.
Old 02-18-06, 05:45 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have not made any negative comments about other people's processes or agendas...I really don't mean to disparage anyone else's opinion or experience but I really believe that Zaino is a very well done product....
ahem..

Zaino simply crushes NXT in durability and looks in my opinion
I honestly do not find NXT which I have tested extensively to be a quality detailing product.
...and to justify your remarks...
There has been much discussion on other detailing boards that back up these findings.
This discussion is already starting to sound like one of those other "detailing" boards.

I started off very skeptical of Zaino given some of the zealotry of certain members on the detailing boards.
So you should know what negative effects zealotry can have on another users opinion of a product.

This sounds like you don't have experience with the product.
No, personally I don't have experience with Zaino, and thanks to the zealots I never will. The 72 layers remark was an attempt at sarcasm on my part because that's one of the arguments I always hear Zaino users tout. "It can be layered and layered and layered again..." Again, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything jaw-droppingly incredible as I've seen Zainoed cars in person and it hasn't given me the urge to switch.

And, while the original poster did bring up Zaino in his first post he did not make remarks like NXT "crushes" Zaino, or that Zaino "wasn't a quality product."
Old 02-18-06, 06:59 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Zaino is a system of sorts in that some product work especially well together but I have found that you can use other products to prep the paint and simply add in Z-2 Pro or Z-5 and periodically spray Z-8. I would suggest a very quick Z-6 wipedown but in this respect it is no different than prepping paint as you like and adding NXT plus a periodic NXT booster spray.
I was mostly speaking to its reliance on ZFX. No other sealant (to my knowledge) requires a catalyzing agent like Zaino does. Unfortunately ZFX is rather expensive and prone to hardening. Luckily Sal is a great guy and will send freebies out if this happens. Fact remains that it's kind of a pain. I know he'd eliminate the need for ZFX if he could, but right now it's part of the process.

As for using all Zaino products together it's obvious those of us on this board have some experience and realize that you can use Zaino independantly of other LSP's, QD's, and polishes; but the average person that uses Zaino (since it is 100% boutique) is going to buy into the system. That's part of why it works so well - when people use it they use it all and follow the instructions well, so they end up with good results. That's a great thing, but for those of us with a little know-how Zaino goes from "miracle product" to "another sealant". Again, I like Zaino and use it on customer cars when asked, however I do think similar results in both appearance and durabilty can be had with other products.

Cheers.
Old 02-18-06, 07:19 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always considered NXT to be a cheap, typical, OTC consumer product. I've never viewed it as a true concourse or boutique product, as it's not.

NXT has cleaners in it. Albeit slight ones. Putting anything underneath of it is just asking for it to be removed or smeared.

I'm not a fan or Zaino or NXT. I've never tried Zaino, but like others, the zealots have scared me away.

I'll stick with my proven prep process, but will continue to experiment with different products.

Remember guys, no one product is ever properly a 'stand alone' product. It's all about the process.
Old 02-18-06, 09:19 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

No, personally I don't have experience with Zaino, and thanks to the zealots I never will.
If you haven't tried it, how can you comment on it? By definition you have no experience.

And I don't understand where the line is between being a product fan and zealotry. If you find a product with good performance and you want to share your good results and good news with others does that make you a "zealot"? Look at my other posts on this board and you will see I'm sharing my knowledge with people to help those starting out save money and get to where I am quicker.

Is it possible that the product is so good that people want others to experience it? Apple Mac fans are that way. Does that make the Mac a bad product? On the contrary, the Mac is arguably the best computer with the best OS out there.

Secondly, your evidence does not negate my quote. I never questioned anybody's process. I just said I don't believe it is a good product. There is a consensus among experienced detailers that NXT is not one of the better products.

I know he'd eliminate the need for ZFX if he could, but right now it's part of the process.
Picus, as many have mentioned on Autopia the reason for this is that the combination of Z-2 Pro and ZFX is not stable on a combined basis since ZFX is a chemical accelerator. Sal is working on a combination but the chemistry is complex. He definitely would like to make it one product. There is a full 18 month warranty on ZFX by the way.

Besides it's no big deal, you just add 5 drops and shake for a minute. Not a lot of work for better crosslinking.

I'm not a fan or Zaino or NXT. I've never tried Zaino, but like others, the zealots have scared me away.
I guess I'm glad that my experience does not put me at the mercy of someone's opinion.

Last edited by yESman; 02-18-06 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-18-06, 09:22 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I use NXT golf ***** all the time. I find them to be very durable and last a long time. Uh, wait a minute, wrong forum.

I agree with engin_ear. The original post opened the issue for debate, and I found this whole discussion to be very interesting. I just bought a bottle of NXT and plan to put on a few coats on the GS when the weather gets warmer around here. I'll post up a new thread with my results.
Old 02-18-06, 09:32 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
i've used nxt... boy does it smell good!.... i am happy with the result of the cleaner wax...i have tried a lot of different products and nxt works pretty well... i will admit that it is not my primary wax... but it's results are very surprising...

Quick Reply: Meguiars NXT great stuff