Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiars NXT great stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 06:16 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Meguiars NXT great stuff

I was about to Zaino my Lexus weds. but i was low on my Z2 so i asked my neighbor what he use on his car he told me about Meguiars NXT tech wax so I went and bought Meg. paint cleaner, #7 show glaze and the NXT tech wax . So i washed it with dawn first ( by the way I see all you guys use the 2 bucket myself I use the 3 bucket rule One for the wheels, tires and inside fender rinse and wash bucket) Clay barred it, washed again with Meguiars gold class wash dried off with 3 towell method put cleaner polish on did section on the wiped off after I done the whole car I Put on the show glaze polish and after that I put the wax on Man I had Sick results The Lex looked better than my Bimmer which is Black(done by My detailer who put me on to Zaino) My wifes black rx ( It's also Zainoed)I showed My detailor he thought I just used Zaino I told him that I used that 13.00 NXT wax all by hand. That stuff made my car feel so smooth and slick and real easy to put on. I might just stay with the NXT instead of ordering more zaino.
Old 02-17-06, 09:07 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zaino simply crushes NXT in durability and looks in my opinion. The new Z-5 Pro will be another evolution of the product.
Old 02-17-06, 09:16 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default NXT wax!

I've used the NXT wax just to demo it and was impressed with the shine without actually claying the car! I've heard nothing ,but raving reviews about the Zaino products and plan to invest in a set myself later! In the meantime if your looking for a nice shine without the exspense give the NXT wax a try. It smells good as well! -wringo
Old 02-17-06, 09:18 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Well durability is definitely better with Zaino, but looks are subjective. I like the way NXT looks but there is a reason it looks so good - both show glaze and NXT have some serious fillers, so any light scratches or swirls will be filled and the car will look mirror smooth until the fillers wash away. There's nothing wrong with that at all, it's just a little shocking to some folks after two weeks when the NXT starts to wash off.
Old 02-17-06, 11:05 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yESman
Zaino simply crushes NXT in durability and looks in my opinion. The new Z-5 Pro will be another evolution of the product.
I don't no about crushing it I've been using Zaino for 3 years on my wifes car and my old car but after using the NXT it brought the metallic out of the silver and gave it reflective look thats hard to get on a silver car as soon as my sister returns from South Beach with my camera I'll take pictures after I clean it up again.
Old 02-17-06, 12:35 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything is subjective. I've been using NXT for a while now and am happy with the look and durability. I tried topping the NXT with various "boutique" waxes to see if I could improve the appearance, but NXT x2 (12-24 hours in between coats) alone looked best to me. The waxes softened the reflections a bit much but did make the finish appear "wetter." NXT also survived the heavy rains we got out here in SoCal last season, so durability hasn't been a problem for me in that department either.

I've got a sample of #21 from Mike Phillips at Meguiar's and am itching to use it. I'm waiting 'til Spring to apply it to the whole car but I've tested a bit of it on my spoiler. So far I like what I've seen. It's easier to work a very thin coat onto the paint and it removes with ease. I found it to be slicker than the NXT and it looked "wetter" but still very reflective. I can't wait to see what it looks like on the whole car and I may be switching this Summer.
Old 02-17-06, 01:02 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

I used NXT on my Millenium Silver and just did not get good results. When I tried Zaino, the flakes in the paint came to life. Plus I got about one month durability with NXT versus six months I am getting with Zaino. Megs is an alright company but NXT is mostly a branding effort. Zaino is constantly improving their products and releasing new versions. Sometimes being a smaller company has its advantages.

I also got better results with AIO and Souveran than NXT although this combo is not as durable as Z-2 Pro.
Old 02-17-06, 05:48 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I did an interesting test. I was sitting around with three of my buddies having a beer and we were comparing what products we used. My two friends are devout Zaino users and I'm a NXT user. I bet them each a 6-pack they could not tell which product was used if done blind. The bet was on. I cleaned and applied both products to half the hoods of all four cars with my wife as a witness as to what I was applying to which half. When I was finished I had my buddies look over the paint and tell me what I had used. No one could correctly tell what product was used. This is a great way to get free beer.

It is impossible to pick out the difference between the two looks on a properly prepped finish.

Zaino users claim that it lasts longer than NXT and I don't dispute that but no serious car nut I know would let their car go six month with out reapplying anyway. Hell, I couldn't go three months without claying and detailing. I actually apply NXT Tech Booster Wax after every other wash because I have the itch to do so. It's my therapy and now I have lots of beer to drink while I detail.

Both products deliver excellent looking results. Do the test for yourself and see for yourself. Nothing like a blind test to separate the chaff from the truth.
Old 02-17-06, 06:02 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

I wish I could be as optimistic as Jim but I did this test on the wife's car and the NXT just did not look that great. P21S looked better in my opinion as did Z-2 Pro.

But try both and decide for yourself. I'm just trying to share my own findings.
Old 02-17-06, 06:10 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I did an interesting test. I was sitting around with three of my buddies having a beer and we were comparing what products we used. My two friends are devout Zaino users and I'm a NXT user. I bet them each a 6-pack they could not tell which product was used if done blind. The bet was on. I cleaned and applied both products to half the hoods of all four cars with my wife as a witness as to what I was applying to which half. When I was finished I had my buddies look over the paint and tell me what I had used. No one could correctly tell what product was used. This is a great way to get free beer.

It is impossible to pick out the difference between the two looks on a properly prepped finish.

Zaino users claim that it lasts longer than NXT and I don't dispute that but no serious car nut I know would let their car go six month with out reapplying anyway. Hell, I couldn't go three months without claying and detailing. I actually apply NXT Tech Booster Wax after every other wash because I have the itch to do so. It's my therapy and now I have lots of beer to drink while I detail.

Both products deliver excellent looking results. Do the test for yourself and see for yourself. Nothing like a blind test to separate the chaff from the truth.
Heh, I'm with you there! I've gotten good durability from NXT. Like I mentioned in an above post it lasted through the heavy rains we had here in SoCal last winter. I didn't wash my car for about 4 months (it rained so much last winter, it wasn't worth it) and when I finally did, the NXT was still there. I'm sure it would have lasted longer if I wasn't itching to clean it and wax it. I prepped my car this Winter in anticipation for some rain but so far we've gotten no serious downpours; only scattered showers every blue moon. We're supposed to get rain this weekend so my car is ready.
Old 02-17-06, 10:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Out of respect and integrity of this thread, threadjacking is not necessary.

And from my experience on my MSM. I love NXT. I've used both products on my Lexus. Spending all those hours just apply those silly layers of Zaino is a waste of time in my opinion. It's a sealant, nothing else. Of course I use other Meguiars products to prep the paint (clay, cleaner & polish), the NXT is definitely there to protect the paint I just prepped. Porter Cable is definitely my friend.

Last edited by flipside909; 02-17-06 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-18-06, 08:44 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

ut of respect and integrity of this thread, threadjacking is not necessary.
Flipside,

I did not intend to threadjack. I just think for the same money one can do better with Zaino or other products. I honestly do not find NXT which I have tested extensively to be a quality detailing product. There has been much discussion on other detailing boards that back up these findings.

Spending all those hours just apply those silly layers of Zaino is a waste of time in my opinion. It's a sealant, nothing else.
This is an unfortunate myth. You only need to apply one layer for good protection. It's not any harder to use than over the counter products.
Old 02-18-06, 11:32 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

.. I just think for the same money one can do better with Zaino or other products.
Well that's all just subjective isn't it? Zaino can be quite expensive buying all the components to make it work. The initial set-up/application can be a lengthy process as well. NXT is less expensive than Zaino and if applied correctly looks just as good IMHO. Also NXT is readily available OTC.

I honestly do not find NXT which I have tested extensively to be a quality detailing product. There has been much discussion on other detailing boards that back up these findings.
Well you have 4 individuals (2 of which have also used Zaino) who clearly believe that NXT is a quality detailing product. What about our findings? Do you believe we lack the credibility and our opinions should be dismissed? Or, do you believe us to be the average weekend Joe who has found the next greatest thing to the Turtle Wax we've been using all these years? I have personally used NXT extensively as well as other brands and have found NXT to be just right for my needs (Oh, I must be blind...poor me. Or, maybe I am an unfortunate soul who has been brainwashed by that incredible Meguiar's Marketing Goliath™). I find NXT easy to apply, easy to remove with durability that is sufficient for my usage and climate. I make my decisions by what works for me not by the elitist thoughts of certain members of a "detailing" board and their misconceptions.

BTW, since you put so much credence in "detailing board discussion," there are a few well-respected members on those boards who also have had good results with NXT [namedrop]scottwax[/namedrop].

This is an unfortunate myth.
Well the same can be said about misconception of NXT's durability (or lack thereof) ...

You only need to apply one layer for good protection. It's not any harder to use than over the counter products.
One layer? Don't you mean 72? (Actually, I'd apply at least two layers of ANY product to ensure even coverage) Ah, the supposed benefits of multiple layers upon layers upon layers of Zaino. Nothing past three layers of any product is going to do that much for the appearance (in fact if the product being applied isn't optically clear it may degrade the appearance).

Everyone has different tastes and needs; we're all individuals you know. Why do Zaino users always feel the need to stuff their product down everybody's throats? It's just this type of zealotry that keeps me away from Zaino. I've seen Zainoed cars and I haven't really been that impressed with the appearance; not that it looks bad, quite the opposite, but it's not jaw-droppingly spectacular that users would like you to believe. It's also not so jaw-droppingly spectacular that it's made me want to switch. I've seen other products look better on different cars.
Old 02-18-06, 12:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Flipside,

I did not intend to threadjack. I just think for the same money one can do better with Zaino or other products. I honestly do not find NXT which I have tested extensively to be a quality detailing product. There has been much discussion on other detailing boards that back up these findings.

This is an unfortunate myth. You only need to apply one layer for good protection. It's not any harder to use than over the counter products.
I dunno about my personal experience being a myth. But spending almost the whole day to do a Zaino application isn't worth it to me if the result I get on my Millenium Silver Metallic car is about comparable in shine, but the NXT protection has outlasted my application of Zaino. Zaino is simply a paint sealant that obviously gives visual results. But it doesn't really do much in terms of element protection and longevity from my experience.

Just to bring this back on topic...this is a NXT thread and started as is. It never was a Zaino thread until you chimed in. Feel free to start a new thread on Zaino products. Product bashing isn't necessary even though you did post your opinion. I've given you my experiences with both products. I prefer the NXT applications regardless of what other message boards say. I concur with the thread title, NXT is great stuff. Thanks.

Last edited by flipside909; 02-18-06 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-18-06, 12:52 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

ive used that NXT b/c i dont feel like ordering the zaino all the time and the NXT holds up pretty well in my opinion as long as you hit it up with the booster wax after every wash.it took about 5 months b4 i had to do a serious detail again using this method

Quick Reply: Meguiars NXT great stuff