Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Question about getting starting with clay bar kit..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 07:28 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Question about getting starting with clay bar kit..

Well i just got home from from Advance Auto and picked up Meguires Clay Kit... COmes with 2 bars, towels, and cleaner wax... Now i understand that i should use Dawn to wash the car but when i clay the car should i use Shining Monkey Detailer spray or Meguires quick Detailer spray when using the clay bar... I'm thinking Shining monkey since thats what I'm going to wax the car with to keep the same brand of wax.

Here's my step process....

Wash car..
Clay car...
Shining Monkey Polish
Shing monkey wax..
DOne..

That sounds like a all day job..

Tony
Old 02-17-06, 09:05 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is either detailing spray will be fine. You might consider a brief wash after claying. I find that often helps.
Old 02-17-06, 09:07 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Well i just got home from from Advance Auto and picked up Meguires Clay Kit... COmes with 2 bars, towels, and cleaner wax... Now i understand that i should use Dawn to wash the car but when i clay the car should i use Shining Monkey Detailer spray or Meguires quick Detailer spray when using the clay bar... I'm thinking Shining monkey since thats what I'm going to wax the car with to keep the same brand of wax.

Here's my step process....

Wash car..
Clay car...
Shining Monkey Polish
Shing monkey wax..
DOne..

That sounds like a all day job..

Tony
Tony, that sounds about right! I think you would be safe either way as long as you keep the area your claying moist with the lubricant spray! After you clay the car you may want to add an additional wash in their after the claying and then I would polish! Make sure after you clay that you wash it again, but this time don't use the Dawn! You want a good car wash liquid this time! Let me know how things go! -wringo
Tony, I know you could go broke on products alone, dealing with this car thing, but that porter cable 7424 would be a great investment and would save you a lot of time! It's on my list of mods to get! -wringo

Last edited by Wringo; 02-17-06 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-17-06, 09:18 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks guys... I don't know if I'll do it today if not maybe next week... I have other projects to attend to first....

TOny
Old 03-10-06, 04:36 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 320 Likes on 232 Posts

I will be embarking on this journey, probably next weekend. Just picked up my Megiuars clay kit today, not a bad deal IMO for 17 bucks, 2 50g clay bars, an MF towel, 16oz Quick Detailer, 4oz cleaner wax. My only question is, can I use Meguiars NXT Quick Detailer instead of the regular Quick Detailer (plain purple/maroon bottle) they provide? I believe they are the EXACT same thing, but just the names are different. But then I'm not sure they are the same, because Megiuars still sells both of them separately? Maybe just to be safe I will use the one that comes in the clay kit and save my NXT for regular use after washes. Wish me luck, this will be an all day thing for me, but I expect the best looking paint I've ever seen on my car (hasn't been clayed in 5 years, but has been waxed/polished regularly). I am looking forward to a smoooooooooooth surface with a glass like shine .