Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Invinca-shield/Stongard Install Event!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-01, 07:12 AM
RXKen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

We've had Invinca-shield on our RX-300 for over 2 years and I can tell you that this stuff rocks! Well speaking of rocks it stops all rock chips, dings, bug splats and other road debris from turning the front of your RX-300 into that sandblasted look that so many SUV's have, especially on black cars.

If you've never heard of Invinca-shield it is a clear film made by 3M (same thing as Stonguard, X-pel, etc.) that is applied to the front surfaces of your car. On our RX-300 it covers the front grill and bumper area, the window pillars, the area between the sunroof and windshield, the lip areas over the front wheels and the side view mirrors and we did a special piece for the top of the back bumper to prevent scrapes and nicks when loading/unloading things from the back.

After 30,000 miles our RX-300 looks brand new, the only chips we have are either from a door ding or an area not covered by Invinca-shield. The stuff is clear so when it goes on it is invisible unless you walk right up to the car and look for it and even then it is still pretty hard to see. I've had this on 3 cars now, two of which I have resold and both buyers were amazed at the condition of each car, certainly didn't hurt my resale value.

Well after buying a new car I wanted to get Invinca-shield put on ASAP so I am flying the top installer in the US (and possibly the world) Alan Seligman to Kansas City to do an install on my other car the weekend of September 8th and 9th. Alan is also doing a couple of other installs for friends of mine and their cars. (Kits come for all sorts of cars).

If you are interested in protecting your car, we've still got a couple of spots open that weekend that Alan could do an install for you. His install prices are around $125-150 per car, it depends on the complexity of the kit (RX-300 isn't very complex, just several pieces). I'm not certain of the current RX-300 kit price and in fact you can buy whatever kit you prefer, Invinca-shield, Stonguard, X-pel, it doesn't matter Alan will install any of them, they are all the same material.

If you want to get in on this install event you need to do 2 things ASAP.

1) Get a kit. You can buy Invinca-Shield from Alan by calling him at 407-927-1900, tell him I sent you and he'll give you a discounted price on the kit for this install event as well.

2) Email me that you have a kit and want to have the install done on Sept 8th or 9th and have your car in Kansas City that weekend. I can provide exact directions to those who are participating.

If you have any other questions let me know, but I really can't say enough about this product and about how well it has protected our RX-300 for the last 2+ years. ksmiley@kc.rr.com
Old 08-21-01, 09:43 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

wow cool, post some pictures of your car with that clear film on, i'm interested as to how it would look. I think i would do it, but i dont live in kansas city hehe, try to get some pics up, i want to see
Old 08-21-01, 10:19 AM
RXKen
Driver

Will do, I need to get some pics up of it on my car. There are pics of an install on one of my old cars AND the tail piece for the RX-300 at the following URL:

http://www.spydermagazine.com/invinca2.htm

Invinca-Shield Install Pictures
Old 08-21-01, 05:51 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like a good clean setup, i wonder if i'll be able to do it myself? and where will i be able to purchase it around here if i can do it myself... is it that hard? and when you wash your car, how do you do that?
Old 08-24-01, 07:58 AM
RXKen
Driver

Some cars you can do yourself, others you can't unless you are REALLY good at it, and I consider myself pretty good but I had to have that Spyder redone because I botched up the lower parts the first time. Compound curves are particularly troublesome.

You can order a kit from Alan for the RX-300 for just under $200, I think around $179 or so by calling him at 407-927-1900, just tell him I sent ya to get a discount.

He sells and installs the kit for $300, so if you can get to Kansas City the weekend of Sept 8th/9th, for $300 you can have the whole thing done for you by the master!

You just wash and wax the car as normal, nothing special related to the Invinca-shield, although I guess I wouldn't take a high pressure blaster right to the edge of the material, but I always wash my cars by hand, although I have driven the Lexus through many automatic car washes without incident.
Old 08-24-01, 08:07 AM
TMitchell
Driver

I wouldn't mind getting that put on my GS, but I hear if you have a dark color like mine that it looks like your car has been keyed where the film stops on the hood.
Old 08-24-01, 08:38 AM
RXKen
Driver

Well we have it on our black RX-300 and it doesn't look that way, and I had a Cosmos Black M Roadster which you can take a look at the install on it including some very hi-res pictures at Invinca-shield Install on Black BMW M Roadster

The kits are usually cut to accent the lines of the car as well, but that depends on the kit. You can call Alan and have him fax you a face sheet for your car to see what the pieces look like.
Old 08-24-01, 11:53 AM
TMitchell
Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RXKen

1) Get a kit. You can buy Invinca-Shield from Alan by calling him at 407-927-1900, tell him I sent you and he'll give you a discounted price on the kit for this install event as well.

2) Email me that you have a kit and want to have the install done on Sept 8th or 9th and have your car in Kansas City that weekend. I can provide exact directions to those who are participating.

Is the film going to be installed indoors? KC is about a 3 hour drive each way for me and I would hate to comm,t drive there and find out it was cancelled, because of rain.

Old 08-24-01, 11:58 AM
malhokc
Pole Position

I have the 3M plastic put on also. This is a 3M's 8 mil clear-coated urethane plastic. It is specifically designed to preserve the beauty and integrity of exterior automotive finishes without compromising or altering the appearance of the vehicle. The material itself is guaranteed by 3M for 5 years against manufacturers defects and not to yellow, crack or craze. All kits come with detailed written and video instruction guide. You can also have someone install if for you. I had mine done for $400 (parts & labor). It front bumper, hood, mirrors, rear bumper top, and rear bumper. Clearmask.com is the cheapest one I found on the web. It can be removed without damage to paint. The plastic is barely visible from 3 feet away and hardly visible on dark or silver color models. I'm very satisfied, especially knowing it will be protected from the damage

High pressure washes will not affect the kit as long as you avoid spraying the high pressure wand directly into one of the edges from an inch away. It can be removed easily and will not damage the paint. To remove the film, you must heat the surface to approximately 150°F while working a corner of the film with your fingernail. Once you have enough of the material free from the surface to hold on to, slowly pull the film from the paint. Think of it like a adhesive laminating paper or a window tint film.
Old 08-24-01, 01:19 PM
RXKen
Driver

Malhokc is correct in his descriptions of the material and its effectiveness. I am not familiar with that supplier, but I can guarantee you that Alan is the best installer in the US (he's won awards) and has the highest recommendations from the largest Ferrari dealer and Porsche dealer in the US, so I figure that counts for something.

The installs take place in a garage (my garage in fact - 3 car, plenty of room) and will not be cancelled due to rain, or snow, potentially tornado.

I'm the one handling Alan's schedule for this, but Alan is handling all the kit purchases etc. I don't know what the price of the kit is for your car if it isn't an RX-300, but you can call Alan and ask, 407-927-1900.

I'm having my other car done as are some of my friends, hence the reason for flying Alan in. I thought I'd open it up to others who might be interested.
Old 09-13-01, 01:21 PM
RXKen
Driver

Default 2nd Event Planned!

Tom Mitchell had his GS 400 or was it a 430? I keep forgetting, anyway beautiful cranberry metallic color done last weekend and loves it, some pictures are available at http://www.smiley.net/boxinvinca1.htm

I wasn't so lucky, the kit for my car has a computer glitch where the computer cut the pieces the wrong size so only part of my kit could be applied.

My bad luck is your good luck in that we are going to have Alan come back out, most likely the 2nd weekend of October (13th and 14th) and finish my car along with another car and we are currently attempting to line up a few more.

If you want to get in on this contact Alan, get a kit, and show up that weekend. You WON'T be disappointed with the results!

*NOTE* touch up any paint chips you currently have at least a few days before arriving.

Invinca-Shield install pictures from last weekend