Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 05:46 PM
papachino
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxing?

I gave my car a lot of some detailing today, with some massaging and all. I've noticed that before I waxed and after I waxed the finish both looked the same, what is the purpose for waxing and how do you do it properly ? I've seen cars with like eight coats of wax and it has a deep look to it. I would like to achieve something like that and also to mask the sun cancer on the top of my car. Also I have a tear in my leather seats, what is a good product that can restore these?
Old 03-01-06, 09:20 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Dod ask either Guitarman, Yesman or Jfelbab all three know alot about cleaning cars especially Jeflbab he has been doing it for 45 years plus i used on of his threads to clean mine silver and my wifes black car They both came out real good. I just followed his detail directions. took about 6 hrs but it was fully detail inside and out.
Old 03-01-06, 12:03 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly did you do and use. Wax should be the final step to the whole detailing process which may look something like this depending on the condition of the paint.

Wash, get all the surface dirt and grime off
Clay, get the embedded particle out of the paint
Polish, this is where you have a lot of options but this is where you get into the swirl removal and oxidation removal.
Sealant, protect the hard work you just did to make the paint look it's best
Wax, usually less protective than a sealant but added for an additional layer of defense and maintenance.

Some people will not even use a wax and just a sealant, some just a wax. The key to a good detail is all the prep before the wax, if it's not prepped well you're just putting a layer of wax over all the paint defects and really doesn't look well.

I always laugh at people who ask me what wax I use because my car looks so good. Like it's the wax that does it I tell them it's turtle wax just for kicks but even turtle wax over a properly prepped car will look better than Zymol over a poorly prepped car.