Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: What do you dry your car with?
cotton towels
11.27%
microfiber towels
53.31%
leaf blower
8.59%
other
26.83%
Voters: 559. You may not vote on this poll

What do you use to dry your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 12:04 PM
redwhisky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drying with MIcrofiber

Has anyone (particularly microfiber users) verified that there method hasnt scratched their paint ? Some have put their paint under a black light, and noticed fine scratches from their microfiber. I have been weary about microfiber ever since.
Old 07-18-06, 12:23 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nysupraman
Mr.Clean Autodry works wonders! I'm never going back to rags and such....
I bought one of the mr clean things, and it is somewhat better, but still have spots. The water here in fresno is so hard that it cant get it all out. I tossed it in the back of the garage. Im considering installing some sort of water treatment system for my house, at leat for washing my cars. Im even debateing useing a couple 55gal drums and distilling my own car wash water, which I then can pump it for car wash use. Then drying will be an option, not a nessesity. When its 110 degrees and you wash your car here, you gatta move fast to dry before it spots. Last night I had both my kids standing with microfiber towels and had them attack the car as soon as I finished rinsing. And I still got spots on my wheels.

Whats the diffrence between the terrycloth type microfiber and the waffle? Why would they dry better. My thought was that the pile on the cloth would help protect by traping the dirt inside the pile?
Old 07-18-06, 12:44 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhisky
Has anyone (particularly microfiber users) verified that there method hasnt scratched their paint ? Some have put their paint under a black light, and noticed fine scratches from their microfiber. I have been weary about microfiber ever since.
I pay especially close attention to not causing swirls in my paint. I have tested many microfiber products and they are not all the same. Cheap microfibers are not made with the same materials or with the same quality and they can scratch. I only use the good stuff. Check the microfiber products from PacShak or Meguiar's. They are among the best, IMHO, and don't scratch.

It is much easier to prevent swirls than to remove them so spend a couple extra dollars on good products.

Black light doesn't show marring as well as a point source of bright white light. The sun is a good source as are street lights. I use halogen shop lights when I polish to help find swirls. Broad spectrum and diffuse lights like florescent are not as good at highlighting swirls.
Old 07-18-06, 12:57 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Same here. They work great.
I use that Absorber same as Aquadry ((about $5 at WalMart) and I know professional detailer shops use them too.
Old 07-26-06, 08:39 AM
yov6cam
Driver

I use a combination of california wiper blade and leather drying cloth.
Old 08-01-06, 07:58 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EFMJR
I bought one of the mr clean things, and it is somewhat better, but still have spots. The water here in fresno is so hard that it cant get it all out. I tossed it in the back of the garage. Im considering installing some sort of water treatment system for my house, at leat for washing my cars. Im even debateing useing a couple 55gal drums and distilling my own car wash water, which I then can pump it for car wash use. Then drying will be an option, not a nessesity. When its 110 degrees and you wash your car here, you gatta move fast to dry before it spots. Last night I had both my kids standing with microfiber towels and had them attack the car as soon as I finished rinsing. And I still got spots on my wheels.

Whats the diffrence between the terrycloth type microfiber and the waffle? Why would they dry better. My thought was that the pile on the cloth would help protect by traping the dirt inside the pile?

your in fresno, cool...... so am I, i guess im lucky my condo has really good water i dont even really have to dry it, i usually let it air dry then QD with microfiber.......
but the absorber works great, i toss it in the washer when done.
Old 08-01-06, 08:19 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
your in fresno, cool...... so am I, i guess im lucky my condo has really good water i dont even really have to dry it, i usually let it air dry then QD with microfiber.......
but the absorber works great, i toss it in the washer when done.

You in north fresno, I think the water is softer up there. Im in kinda south central. Water is hard, I mean real hard. I lived in this house when I was a kid and the water has gotten harder since then. Maby I need to go wash my car at your condo It sucks having to dry. Exspecially the rims.
Old 08-01-06, 10:55 PM
LexFather

I drive around about 80mph, then use Meguiars Microfiber. I used Chamois up until this month and ahve been happy with Chamois.
Old 08-02-06, 11:05 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

What's drying?

I have a water filtration system hooked up to my water hose

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 08-02-06, 07:19 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

water blade users.....

i read through the posts and seems like everyone who uses it likes the blade... I never used it before but i've seen some people use it and i've heard some bad things about it. How it can damage paint because of dirt even though you washed and rinsed everything down

right now i use the absorber on my other ride and it works fine. I haven't washed my IS yet but I want to be prepared for when i do. Seems like an MF towel seems good... i like the absorber but would prefer something a little bit softer.

http://www.autogeek.net/calwatblad.html makes the blade seem good.. but i still have some doubts because of the bad things i've heard. CL members help take this doubt away
Old 08-02-06, 08:00 PM
jfelbab

Not so. I used one until it scratched my paint. Apparently some airborne grit landed on my wet car and the blade pulled it across the paint and left a scratch. Too easy to cause damage IMO. I tossed it and now only use a waffle-weave microfiber.

Originally Posted by CeoStatus0
water blade users.....

i read through the posts and seems like everyone who uses it likes the blade... I never used it before but i've seen some people use it and i've heard some bad things about it. How it can damage paint because of dirt even though you washed and rinsed everything down

right now i use the absorber on my other ride and it works fine. I haven't washed my IS yet but I want to be prepared for when i do. Seems like an MF towel seems good... i like the absorber but would prefer something a little bit softer.

http://www.autogeek.net/calwatblad.html makes the blade seem good.. but i still have some doubts because of the bad things i've heard. CL members help take this doubt away
Old 08-02-06, 08:46 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Not so. I used one until it scratched my paint. Apparently some airborne grit landed on my wet car and the blade pulled it across the paint and left a scratch. Too easy to cause damage IMO. I tossed it and now only use a waffle-weave microfiber.
yea thats what i heard about the blade...it seems a little to easy.... I'm fine with using my absorber but i kind of want to upgrade to something else. the WW MF sounds good.. i want something softer than the absorber and wont harm the paint
Old 08-02-06, 08:47 PM
islandsnow
Driver

and a waffle weave microfiber cloth will not leave a scratch if a airborne grit landed on your wet car?

i have a WW MF cloth on order so waiting to try that since i heard good stuff about it. but i also use the blade.

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Old 08-02-06, 08:57 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by islandsnow
and a waffle weave microfiber cloth will not leave a scratch if a airborne grit landed on your wet car?

i have a WW MF cloth on order so waiting to try that since i heard good stuff about it. but i also use the blade.
Well no, the grit will be held in the nap of the MF, not next to the paint by a fairly hard rubber blade.

Actually when I dry I use the hose with the nozzle off and sheet off most of the water and dab and lightly brush away with the waffle-weave microfiber to remove any remaining drops. I get much less swirling using this method.
Old 08-04-06, 02:41 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by genearch
That's my solution! As I wrote before, I use the system from CRSpotless.

My motto on this stuff is "go big or don't go at all"

They have "entry level" systems for $299

How many washes do you get between filter changes? The replacement filters are darn exspensive. $120 for two.

Quick Reply: What do you use to dry your car?