Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to remove Sharpy Mark from rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06 | 09:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Default How to remove Sharpie Mark from rims

I'm an *********. Before I took my summer wheels off and put them in storage I labeled them so I know which ones go on which side and the F/R as well. So I definitely wasnt thinking at all and wrote right on one of the spokes of my rims(yes all 4 of them have FR, FL, RR, RL on them in Sharpy). So anyway, how do I get it off?? I tried using regular car soap and water, but that obviously didnt work. My wheels seem to have some sort of clear coat I guess. Any ideas?? Maybe some sort of wax compound??

Last edited by magneto112; 03-06-06 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-06-06 | 09:53 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112
I'm an *********. Before I took my summer wheels off and put them in storage I labeled them so I know which ones go on which side and the F/R as well. So I definitely wasnt thinking at all and wrote right on one of the spokes of my rims(yes all 4 of them have FR, FL, RR, RL on them in Sharpy). So anyway, how do I get it off?? I tried using regular car soap and water, but that obviously didnt work. My wheels seem to have some sort of clear coat I guess. Any ideas?? Maybe some sort of wax compound??
You are going to have to break out the harsh chemicals for a perm marker. Acetone (fingernail polish remover) should work. Will take alot of work because it has sat for so long.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-06 | 01:17 PM
jfelbab

WD40 removed Sharpie ink from the washing machine. (don't ask!) My wife was a bit upset with me since they were only a month old. GIve it a try.
Old 03-06-06 | 03:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by jfelbab
WD40 removed Sharpie ink from the washing machine. (don't ask!) My wife was a bit upset with me since they were only a month old. GIve it a try.
GOD DAMN I love this site!! You da man!! You da man!! Worked like a charm. It couldnt have been any easier. One spray and two wipes, it was gone. Thanks so much.

I was going to use the Polish remover, but we dont have any at the house. lol. But thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-06-06 | 04:18 PM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

WD40 is the best tool u'll need in the house! been using this product since i was a kid-from r/c cars, to bikes, skateboards, etc. u can use this on any simple machines that exists on this planet!