Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

First Detail Product Feedback/Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 04:49 PM
drck1000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Detail Product Feedback/Input

Hey all. I am getting ready to do my first full exterior detail of my new 2006 GS300. I have a purchased a ton of detailing products in the last few weeks with the intent of eventually coming up with my own detailing kit and would like some feedback and input.

For the paint treatment, I am looking at comparing Klasse AIO and SG combination vs. 1Z Metallic Polish/Wax and Glanz Wax. I have all of those except for the SG which I hope will come in on Saturday (hoping to detail on Sunday). I was first planning on using Klasse AIO and follow up with Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield. In the mean time, I ordered Klasse SG. I purchased the 1Z combo due to hearing good things about those products on their effectiveness for metallic paints. Any suggestions on either or any of those combinations? My friend also is supposed to give me some Poorboys EX-P to try out as well. I understand that that's supposed to be a good product to go on top of AIO as well. Will be applying all by hand with either foam pads or MF applicators and towels. This is the part that I'd like the most input on.

Very excited to try out these combinations. I can't remember the last time I really was looking forward to detailing my car. Too bad I don't have more than one new car to try these products out on. I'd offer to do my friends' cars to test, but I'd only want to do the hoods to test them and not the whole car.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-22-06, 08:23 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using the KIO/SG combo ever since I got my car back in Oct. and although it works great, the SG is a major pain to buff off. I'm actually thinking of switching over to Meguire's NXT Wax since I've heard good things about that.
Old 03-22-06, 09:07 AM
drck1000
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
I've been using the KIO/SG combo ever since I got my car back in Oct. and although it works great, the SG is a major pain to buff off. I'm actually thinking of switching over to Meguire's NXT Wax since I've heard good things about that.
SGT - When you used Klasse SG, did you use any quick detailer to aid in the buffing? I think I read on properautocare.com that Sonus Acrylic Spritz is supposed to help with the buffing of tough spots. I ordered SG mainly because of it's reviews for durability and figured that I would deal with it's "temperament". If decide that I like another LSP better, I figure I can try out using it as a QD diluted with distilled water. I read that some are using it that way on Autopia.

Used NXT on our Sienna van last weekend and it was really easy to apply and buff off. I also applied Menzerna HGAS on the hood and the roof just to test to see if I could feel a difference in slickness between just the NXT and with the HGAS. Couldn't really tell right after but I think the HGAS may need time to complete it's process. The next day it stormed and it was beading quite nicely. Have yet to see how it's still holding up. Should rain here today and tomorrow so I will see how it's doing.

On my car, I ended up using AIO with UPP and followed up with HGAS. It was raining out and I was working under just a covered car port, so I just wanted to apply and get back inside. The shine was great after buffing the UPP. After I applied HGAS, it was slick, but not to the point where my MF towel would slide off the hood. However, the next day I was out wiping down my windows and it was REAL slick. I guess either the UPP or HGAS needed some time to finish bonding/curing or whatever. It was really slick the next day.

I have my dad's Land Cruiser to detail this weekend. Debating on using AIO with EX-P or the 1Z combination. As for the Klasse SG, I probably will give that a go on my car next. I will be applying a second coat of UPP this weekend, so might be a few months at least until I try the AIO/SG combination.
Old 03-22-06, 09:58 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drck1000
SGT - When you used Klasse SG, did you use any quick detailer to aid in the buffing? I think I read on properautocare.com that Sonus Acrylic Spritz is supposed to help with the buffing of tough spots. I ordered SG mainly because of it's reviews for durability and figured that I would deal with it's "temperament". If decide that I like another LSP better, I figure I can try out using it as a QD diluted with distilled water. I read that some are using it that way on Autopia.

Used NXT on our Sienna van last weekend and it was really easy to apply and buff off. I also applied Menzerna HGAS on the hood and the roof just to test to see if I could feel a difference in slickness between just the NXT and with the HGAS. Couldn't really tell right after but I think the HGAS may need time to complete it's process. The next day it stormed and it was beading quite nicely. Have yet to see how it's still holding up. Should rain here today and tomorrow so I will see how it's doing.

On my car, I ended up using AIO with UPP and followed up with HGAS. It was raining out and I was working under just a covered car port, so I just wanted to apply and get back inside. The shine was great after buffing the UPP. After I applied HGAS, it was slick, but not to the point where my MF towel would slide off the hood. However, the next day I was out wiping down my windows and it was REAL slick. I guess either the UPP or HGAS needed some time to finish bonding/curing or whatever. It was really slick the next day.

I have my dad's Land Cruiser to detail this weekend. Debating on using AIO with EX-P or the 1Z combination. As for the Klasse SG, I probably will give that a go on my car next. I will be applying a second coat of UPP this weekend, so might be a few months at least until I try the AIO/SG combination.
Nope, I've never tried using QD while buffing off the SG. Sounds like a plan if you fancy using it on the entire car... that stuff sticks like flies on *****! If you do apply the SG, make sure that you use the thinnest layer possible or you'll regret it when you try to buff it off. It will definitely give your arms a good workout. Each time I wax and seal my car, the SG leaves streaks because I fail to buff all of it out. The streaks eventually vanish after two or three car washes, but it's annoying. I've only waxed/sealed twice so far and both times I probably used too much SG. I'll try applying a super thin layer next time I do it, probably next month.

I've also noticed that after I apply the SG, the paint feels less slick than it did before. Not sure if that is just a characteristic of this particular sealant, but I like the slippery feel of the paint right after I apply the Klasse AIO. Applying the SG over the AIO seems to mask the slippery feel, unless I'm doing something wrong.

There's no denying the durability of AIO/SG. Each time I wash my car I see the water bead up everywhere, even after a few months. It does its job well but I only wish the SG was easier to buff off and left a slick feel like how wax does.
Old 03-29-06, 11:32 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Here is a website with some great car detailing stuff......

http://www.specialtymotoring.com/index.html

and also

http://www.autogeek.net/

Here are some of the things I use.....

Old 03-29-06, 11:58 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

^ How well does the SSR2.5 results look like done by hand?