Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Stain on sterling leather -- Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 06:35 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stain on sterling leather -- Help!!

I just had my wheels installed (like many here know) and while I was transporting the stock tires/wheels, the one that was on the passenger seat managed to leave a print of the characters on the tire onto my seat . Does anybody here know how I may be able to erase this? It's really noticable during the day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BTW I tried cleaning this furiously with some Lexol leather cleaner, not even a pixel was erased
Attached Thumbnails Stain on sterling leather -- Help!!-0322061616.jpg  
Old 03-22-06, 06:37 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

another pic...
Attached Thumbnails Stain on sterling leather -- Help!!-0322061617.jpg  
Old 03-22-06, 06:39 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a rag with rubbing alcohol.
Old 03-22-06, 06:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ouch...I've had grey leather before and I never did manage to keep/get it clean.....try asking the Lexus service manager about this...I had a friend with an Acura TL with light beige interior that the dealer cleaned up nicely.
Old 03-22-06, 06:42 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Nice!!! I want some Michelin Racing Seats too!!!

Just kidding

I'd would try the leather cleaner from Wilson Leather. It worked great for dirt and such on my motorcycle jacket.
Old 03-22-06, 06:50 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Good Luck, I did the same with the Tan leather in my 3000GT. I used every leather conditioner I could find. Never got it out fully. I rubbed the leather so hard that it wore the color off =(

Maybe the IS leather is different though. It sure is softer
Old 03-22-06, 07:21 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Sorry to hear that. But now so glad that i got black interior.
Old 03-23-06, 07:56 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
try a rag with rubbing alcohol.
I Think Rubbing alcohol would be a BAD idea. It would discolor it more and dry up the leather.

Try Meguires Leather Clearner /Conditioner that should work

goodluck
Old 03-23-06, 08:11 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

If it's an oily or release agent used in the tire mold, you won't get it out with any cleaner, it has been absorbed into the leather itself. I think you'll likely have to have that piece of leather replaced by a good upholsterer.
Old 03-23-06, 09:02 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Try hairspray... my gf uses that on expensive handbags and usually works like a charm... just be sure to try it out first on a hidden spot first before soaking up the spot.
Old 03-23-06, 05:27 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

When I was a teenager, I used to detail cars for spending money. I've always used Fantastik or Formula 409 to keep light colored leather clean. Spray it on in a small area, use a sponge to clean, and then wipe off with a soft towel.

One thing not to do: Never use a harsh chemical like Comet. Early on, I was detailing a neighbor's car and used Comet to clean his maroon vinyl roof. It used to work great on white vinyl roofs. In this case, it not only cleaned the ground in dirt, but also bleached the top. Fortunately, the maroon shoe polish I had was a pretty good match.
Old 03-23-06, 07:45 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input everyone, I will try some of the suggestions. Heh, I bet anyone who reads this thread will never buy the 2IS in a interior color other than black. Cheers.
Old 03-23-06, 09:29 PM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

try GooGone...maybe that'll work. i wouldnt try alchol tho.
Old 03-23-06, 09:50 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Remind me to thank my dealer. He put my tires in plastic bags to that they wouldn't get the seats dirty. And I DO have a black interior.

As for Aclarke's suggestion of hairspray: it is wonderful for removing ball-point pen ink, much less good for other dirt. Definitely try it on an inconspicuous spot first.

It's not applicable to your situation, but if you ever have the misfortune of getting a permanant magic marker stain, you aren't going to believe this: Someone managed to hit the arm of my gray chair at work with a black permanant magic marker. I tried everything I could think of, including hairspray, but nothing would touch it. A friend suggested going over the spot with a black whiteboard marker - the erasable kind - and then wiping it off with a clean cloth. I was sure he was kidding, but in desparation, I grabbed a black Sanford Expo dry-erase from the conference room and tried it. Worked amazingly well. Took about four applications and wipeoffs to get the job done, but when I finished it was gone. Not for the faint of heart, and DEFINITELY try this on a (very) inconspicuous spot first; hope nobody actually needs this tip.
Old 03-24-06, 12:14 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Thanks for the input everyone, I will try some of the suggestions. Heh, I bet anyone who reads this thread will never buy the 2IS in a interior color other than black. Cheers.

no they just wont be stupid enough to put bare tires on their leather.

Quick Reply: Stain on sterling leather -- Help!!