Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

woolite method

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 12:19 PM
laumouth
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woolite method

could someone confirm that if i use the woolite and coldwater (5:1) method, all i have to do is apply it evenly to leather with a towel, scrub with toothbrush, wipe down with wet towel, then with dry towel, then condition? am i missing any important details?
thanks
Old 03-26-06, 12:35 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by laumouth
could someone confirm that if i use the woolite and coldwater (5:1) method, all i have to do is apply it evenly to leather with a towel, scrub with toothbrush, wipe down with wet towel, then with dry towel, then condition? am i missing any important details?
thanks
That's 5 parts water to 1 part Woolite. I use a 6:1 dilution and use slightly warm water. I prefer to use a foam pad for working up a lather and to loosen the dirt. I wouldn't use a tooth brush as I feel they are too abrasive. I wipe dry with a clean cotton towel then let it dry for a while before I condition the leather.
Old 03-26-06, 01:33 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

is this the same woolite u are talking about? http://www.woolite.com/products.shtml
which of the three?
Old 03-26-06, 01:53 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
is this the same woolite u are talking about? http://www.woolite.com/products.shtml
which of the three?

WOOLITE® Original Fabric Wash
Old 03-26-06, 02:43 PM
laumouth
Driver

thanks for the tips, i 'll probably use a stronger concentration since i drive a 92sc and the dirt is embedded. what kinda foam pad do u use?
Old 03-26-06, 08:09 PM
jfelbab

thanks for the tips, i 'll probably use a stronger concentration since i drive a 92sc and the dirt is embedded. what kinda foam pad do u use?
I use the same applicator pads that are typically sold for polish and wax.
Old 03-26-06, 09:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I was emailing a guy at leatherique who said it was bad to use woolite and water to clean your leather because it will dry and ruin the leather. He also said 303 Aerospace Protectant was not good to use on leather and could lead to a waxy feeling and other things. Not sure about this, especially since in the owners manual it says you can use woolite and water solution.
Old 03-27-06, 05:50 AM
laumouth
Driver

everything seems to be a big mystery, i guss if the woolite method works when i try it this weekend i'm just gonna stick to it. many other ppl use soft scrub, but it specifically says on the soft scrub website that it should not be used on carpets or leathers.
Old 03-27-06, 06:01 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by UDel
I was emailing a guy at leatherique who said it was bad to use woolite and water to clean your leather because it will dry and ruin the leather. He also said 303 Aerospace Protectant was not good to use on leather and could lead to a waxy feeling and other things. Not sure about this, especially since in the owners manual it says you can use woolite and water solution.
All leather is not the same. Some leathers are uncoated (analine) or "A" leathers and some are coated (non-analine or semi-analine) often called protected or "P" leathers. The leathers used on most, but not all, cars are coated with polyurethane. For automotive applications, this coating serves several very useful purposes. It makes the leather look uniform by masking flaws and imperfections that occur naturally in leather and it makes the color uniform across the whole vehicle. It also makes the leather less prone to staining and causes the leather to repel moisture and spills.

Analine leather is more like the leather you might find in a bomber jacket where the color, texture and imperfections add character to the jacket. Analine leather is found in some very high end cars. This leather is softer and warmer. It has a buttery feel to it. It is much more difficult to care for.

The method of caring for these leathers is also different. I would not use Woolite or 303 on analine (uncoated) leather as it would most likely stain and dry out the leather. Conversely, I would not use a product designed for analine leathers on coated leathers.

It is usually quite easy to tell what kind of leather you have by looking. But if you are unsure why not trust your owners manual.

Most automotive leather is non-analine and will clean up with a damp sponge. It will only occasionally need a cleaning agent to remove grime if it becomes heavily soiled.
Old 03-27-06, 10:05 AM
laumouth
Driver

well if jim and other members who own newer-model lexus cars have used woolite to clean their leathers, i'm sure there will be no harm in using it on my 92 leather seats
Old 03-29-06, 02:55 PM
laumouth
Driver

just tried to wash my seats with woolite today, but it did no justice. i'm not that disappointed since after all, it is14 year- old embedded dirt. i did however use mr. clean magic eraser on a small portion of the seat which seemed to work wonders. i wasn't willing to use it on the entire seat until i checked with other members to see if they've ever encountered any problems using the eraser on their leathers. i'm not sure as to whether the eraser contains any bleaching agents and it doesn't say so on the box. it says "not recommended for the following surfaces: high gloss, polished, dark, brushed, satin, faux, bare-polished wood, or stainless steel." anyhow, i was wondering if anyones used it on their seats?
Old 03-29-06, 04:19 PM
jfelbab

just tried to wash my seats with woolite today, but it did no justice. i'm not that disappointed since after all, it is14 year- old embedded dirt. i did however use mr. clean magic eraser on a small portion of the seat which seemed to work wonders. i wasn't willing to use it on the entire seat until i checked with other members to see if they've ever encountered any problems using the eraser on their leathers. i'm not sure as to whether the eraser contains any bleaching agents and it doesn't say so on the box. it says "not recommended for the following surfaces: high gloss, polished, dark, brushed, satin, faux, bare-polished wood, or stainless steel." anyhow, i was wondering if anyones used it on their seats?
The Magic Eraser is very abrasive. Much like using kitchen cleanser. You run the very likely risk of removing the coating on your leather. Once you abrade the coating you will find the leather is a different color and texture. This cannot be easily repaired. If you feel you must use this product be aware of the possible consequences.

I believe I'd have another go at the leather with Woolite and a soft brush and see if the grime can't be removed in a manner that is not so harsh.
Old 03-29-06, 07:09 PM
laumouth
Driver

i think you are right. looking at the leather now,the part i used the magic eraser on is alot cleaner but it also seems as if it has lost its orginal feel and shine... good thing i only used it on a small portion
Old 04-06-06, 08:25 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This may seem absolutely dumb, but I have a 92 LS whose seats are pretty worn. I used good ole Saddle saop o n my seats and they cleaned up quite nicely. Yes the seats are 14 years old and I know a miracle can't be expected however it was a vast improvement over what it was, even after using the woolite method.
fyi. saddle soap can be found in your local supermarket in the section where the shoe polish is.
Old 04-06-06, 09:53 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On old worn leather like that, you haven't much to lose, but on newer coated leathers, Saddle soap isn't such a great idea due to its high alkaline content.

That was a product from another era, when leather was a bit different than what we have in our cars now. Glad it worked for you though!

Quick Reply: woolite method