Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 05:03 PM
pandora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing new car

Please don't kill me if it was answered here before. Did a search - but can not find anything.

Just got a '06 IS350 black-on-black - 3 weeks ago.
Want to finish it with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax or Zaino Z-2 (Z5)

Should I go through full cycle (dawn wash -> clay -> paint cleaner -> swirl remover or polish -> glaze -> wax/sealant
or I can just do a short cycle (which stages)?

It's black so I can see a lot fo swirl marks.

Thanks
Old 03-29-06, 06:20 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car feels smooth but has swirls as you say, you can simply do a polish with a swirl remover, then wash the car and NXT or Zaino it. I would not think a new car like that would need a paint cleaner.

The glaze step can be used with NXT, but not with Zaino, so that's your decision.

clay *only* if needed

polish/swirl remover

wash(removes any polish residue)

protect

Cheers.
Old 03-29-06, 01:25 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pandora
Please don't kill me if it was answered here before. Did a search - but can not find anything.

Just got a '06 IS350 black-on-black - 3 weeks ago.
Want to finish it with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax or Zaino Z-2 (Z5)

Should I go through full cycle (dawn wash -> clay -> paint cleaner -> swirl remover or polish -> glaze -> wax/sealant
or I can just do a short cycle (which stages)?

It's black so I can see a lot fo swirl marks.

Thanks
Anytime you use a paint cleaner, swirl remover or abrasive polish you can forgo Dawn. Actually, I'd never use Dawn on a car finish. It is not very good at providing lubricity to the wash and could result in marring. In fact, Procter & Gamble says that they don't recommend it's use for automotive purposes. I'd recommend you use a good quality car wash designed specifically for cars.

Depending on how well prepped your paint is you may or may not need to clay. After washing and drying the vehicle gently draw your hand over the surface and if it feels rough you need to clay. It should feel mirror smooth.

This is a good point to suggest you use the two bucket wash method with grit guards and with new wash mitts and waffle-weave microfiber drying towels if you aren't already doing so. Black is an unforgiving beast and picks up and shows marring very easily. Everything that touches the paint can cause marring so think gentle. It is much easier to prevent swirls than to remove them.

If you don't have any swirls you probably can go right to the NXT or Zaino.
Old 03-29-06, 07:17 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Anytime you use a paint cleaner, swirl remover or abrasive polish you can forgo Dawn. Actually, I'd never use Dawn on a car finish. It is not very good at providing lubricity to the wash and could result in marring. In fact, Procter & Gamble says that they don't recommend it's use for automotive purposes. I'd recommend you use a good quality car wash designed specifically for cars.
I never understood why some people think Dawn is a required first wash. That stuff can actually be bad for the paint.
Old 03-29-06, 08:44 PM
SpeedyIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SDLexus
I never understood why some people think Dawn is a required first wash. That stuff can actually be bad for the paint.
really,???? it could be bad for paint?
Old 03-29-06, 10:02 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Doesn't Dawn help break down/strip some of the old wax off?

I've only used Dawn once. For my first major detail, I washed the car with Dawn, then clay, then wash with car wash, dry.

I still have the bottle from 2 yrs ago..
Old 03-29-06, 11:09 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Dawn is NOT good for your paint! Here are some other good products you may want to try. They work great.....CLEARKOTE and POORBOYS.

http://www.specialtymotoring.com/index.html
Old 03-30-06, 04:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
Doesn't Dawn help break down/strip some of the old wax off?

I've only used Dawn once. For my first major detail, I washed the car with Dawn, then clay, then wash with car wash, dry.

I still have the bottle from 2 yrs ago..
That was the idea, using Dawn to strip the wax but Dawn does a poor job of stripping sealants or waxes with polymer sealants in them. It is also a useless step when you consider a paint cleaner or cleaner/polish will do a much better, more thorough job of stripping any prior coating on the paint.

Dawn os ok for cutting grease on dishes but it is just not a good soap for washing a car. It is too harsh and not slippery enough to insure the removal of dirt particles without potentially marring the finish.

Don't take your paint finish backwards. Paint cleaners and polishes improve your paint's appearance, Dawn does not.
Old 03-30-06, 02:01 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dawn is the best thing I've used to take all the grime off of my paint. I do it a couple of times a year prior to Zaino. When you're done doing it, your paint is CLEAN. I really don't see what the big deal is. It's high alkaline, but it gets rinsed off like every other car wash. Many of the "car washes" just don't work well, and only God knows how many I've used.
Old 03-30-06, 05:17 PM
Guitarman

I agree.

IMO there's too much hyperbole about Dawn both ways, it's no panacea, and it's no more deliterious to paint than most rainfall. Rain in the U.S. is fairly acidic, on average 4.7 or so, and that's like pouring cofee or orange juice onto your car, then having it sit until either you or the sun drys it. Alkaline and acid are both not so great, but you have to take into account your purpose for using either. With acid rain, it's no ones choice, it just ...happens to us all.

So put it all into perspective. Should Dawn be used on a regular basis, umm..no. But 1x a year or so to strip and start fresh, well, IMO your paint will see far more harmful substances fall upon it in the interim. It won't lead your paint to an early demise at such sporadic intervals, that's for sure. I know people that used it back in the 80's (my neighbors) and they used it weekly for YEARS, and the car still looked decent enough when they traded it in. Lacking in shine..well. yes, to my standards yes...but the paint was there , lol. They didn't really know what they were doing, true, but it didn't bite them in the butt either. I told them about PH and car wash soap, and that they were stripping the wax they just put on, but would they listen? Nooooooo, heheh

Just my point of view. I don't expect everyone to agree with it, but hopefully we'll all try not to be dis-agreeable in the discussion of it.

Last edited by Guitarman; 03-30-06 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 07:47 AM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"...deliterious..."? d-e-l-i-t-e-r-i-o-u-s Man, I need to work on my vocabulary!

Those Florida guys sure are smart. Just can't play football worth a #@&!
Old 04-03-06, 08:31 AM
Guitarman

Originally Posted by LSUFanMan
"...deliterious..."? d-e-l-i-t-e-r-i-o-u-s Man, I need to work on my vocabulary!

Those Florida guys sure are smart. Just can't play football worth a #@&!
Hey, don't blame me for their pigskin proclivities (or lack thereof) I'm a New Jersey boy!

P.S. I guess we've exhausted this topic?