Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Autoshow Pinchmen and their Polishes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 06:53 PM
Tengbt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoshow Pinchmen and their Polishes

Every year at the big ny autoshow, the guys hawking auto cleaning products manages to capture my attention for 30mins (pitch is actually 10-15mins, but i watch it twice) as they scratch, set on fire, pour acid, and almost everything damaging to the surface of the car, only to wipe it off with some miracle polish in a bottle. One product that comes to mind is something called T.F.P (Total Finish Protection) $20. Is this stuff the real deal or would it do more harm than good? Thanks for your input.
Old 04-04-06, 05:05 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't comment on the products mentioned, because I've never tried them. But you do have to realize that if the top corporations in the field worldwide ( Mothers, Meguiar's etc), with vast , vast budgets and top engineering talent don't offer a "miracle in a bottle" then chances are good neither do the smaller companies marketing those products at trade shows. To be skeptical is always wise. So is to be open-minded. But you have to find that happy center ground where your expectations are realistic and not swayed by hype or marketing.

The state of the art is encapsulated in a few fine products offered by Zaino, Meguiar's, Pinnacle etc. and no one leaps far away from the rest. Science is a pretty level playing field in this idiom, and I don't expect any major breakthroughs that will blow me away. I've seen all kinds of claims and some super duper infomercials, but has any of it dethrowned the big players so far? No.

But I would like it if they did. I always root for the underdog, as long as he doesn't bite me in the @%&! by having me pay for something that isn't worth it, and doesn't match its claims ....heh.

If you're willing to try it, I think we'd all like to know what YOU think of it, if you're willing to take the risk. I'm not as brave as I used to be, and a LOT more jaded.