Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Cleaning Product

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06 | 10:38 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Default Best Cleaning Product

Hey guys I just got my IS 350 Black on black in and its dirty! I need to know what the best product is to use ASAP! What local stores can it be purchased at, and something that can be used once a week on the car. BTW this car is amazing!
Old 04-09-06 | 10:44 AM
upbull340
Pole Position

Suggest you look in Automotive Care and Detail forum for information on the various cleaning and protection products. Everyone has an opinion. Plenty of products to choose from. Personally, I like Poorboy World products but you will have to get them from the internet.
Old 04-09-06 | 10:45 AM
shox
Pole Position

I always use the auto car wash or self serve car wash.

When I do wash by hand at home or something, which I usually never do cause I'm afraid of swirls, is Mother's cleaning products. Works great! Other products to use are Zaino, they're good for more detail cleaning with their one-step wax, etc.
Old 04-09-06 | 12:20 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shox

When I do wash by hand at home or something, which I usually never do cause I'm afraid of swirls, is Mother's cleaning products. Works great! Other products to use are Zaino, they're good for more detail cleaning with their one-step wax, etc.
Jeebus! Dont take your car to the auto car wash! Unless you love scratching your paint.

You wont get swirls if you do it correctly by hand. Hint: You are never supposed to wash or wax your car in a circular motion. EVER. The only time you use a circular motion is when you are applying something like a 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

Wash, Dry, Polish, Wax, Quick Detail, should all be applied in the same back to forth motion (imagine how the wind would hit your car when you are driving down the road, that's the direction you want to use)

If you have any sort of respect for your car you WILL NOT take it to the auto wash.

To answer your original question, use Meguiars Gold Class as your basic car wash. Get some microfiber towels for drying. Also, if you want to polish or wax your car I highly recommend either the P21S product line or One Grand.
Old 04-09-06 | 12:28 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Also, if you guys want a fantastic writeup and tutorial on how to clean a car click on this link. This is one of the best articles on how to properly clean your car out there.
Old 04-09-06 | 12:43 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shox

please tell me i'm missing some sarcasm...

Check autopia for info.

1. wash
2. clay
3. wash
4. polish
5. sealant
6. carnuba wax
7. tire dressing
8. wheel sealant

I use a lot of poorboy's, adam's, and fk1 products. YMMV
Old 04-09-06 | 12:59 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

there is nothing wrong with the 'laser wash' or touchless automated car washes. they dont touch your car at all. in the winter in colder regions this is the best way to keep your car clean.
Old 04-09-06 | 03:45 PM
ra1n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by digital_b
there is nothing wrong with the 'laser wash' or touchless automated car washes. they dont touch your car at all. in the winter in colder regions this is the best way to keep your car clean.
Agreed.

I take my car to this really efficient "laser wash" and I always purchase the "Ultimate" wash, or the highest offered. This consists of a jet spray from water all around, underbody wash, tri-color polish, tire's cleaned, etc. No old-school brushes, just a REALLY strong blast of water all-around. This gets rid of all the dirt and dust particles sticking on ANYWHERE on your car.

I'm not sure what kind of car washes are offered in the area's you guys live in, but you should look around for these "laser washes".

After I go through the wash, I usually go home and do what some of you do. Get some microfiber cloths. I personally like Meguiars products. I've always found them to be reliable and they leave no blemishes.

The process of applying these "wax" products is very important. NEVER apply TOO much pressure when polishing or waxing your car. This leaves long-lasting blemishes and swirls that are a pain to get rid of. The art of polishing/waxing is to BUFF - really fast movements with little pressure.

Hope this helps. This is just what i do.
Old 04-09-06 | 07:20 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

I use the laser washes in winter since there is no other option but I stay away from the tri-color foam they put on the car. Just not sure what chemicals are in it.
Old 04-10-06 | 01:03 AM
hguy4x
Driver

I do this.

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Wash
4. Polish - Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by Menzerna Finishing Polish 2
5. Glaze - Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze
6. Wax - I switch it up between Poorboys Natty Blue or Pinnacle Souvren depending on how much I want to spend.

I polish and glaze with a Porter Cable 7424. i feel that IP/FP2 -> RMG -> Natty Blue is a really really good combination. been meaning to try out EX-P but I don't know if it would help a Blue Onyx car.
Old 04-10-06 | 01:19 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

I bought the porter cable 7424 random orbit buffer and am going to learn to use it. I am thinking I will apply whatever polish/wax by hand and remove with the buffer. mainly concerned with swirl marks since the stooges who prepped my car put swirls on it. IDIOTS.
Old 04-10-06 | 06:43 AM
marmont
Driver School Candidate

Default cleaning the lexus

Ive gone through alot of diffrent kinds of washes, and by far i use 2 PRODUCTS for diffrent situations.
>>digital_b: Megiuers sells a video on how to use the porter cable 7424, and its really good to watch and learn.

Wash
================
For a semi-clean car (my IS, washed weekley) i use KIT Car Wash w/ Carnuba. Its Yellow and high-suds and affordable for my weekly wash.

For a Dirty Car (dad's RX, he hasnt washed it in 3months) I use Rain-x Wash&Wax, its GREAT for bigger cars that are high off the road, or for your front fender if it has alot of bug/tar buildup.

Wax
================
RX: Zymol. Great product, and it lasts long too, i dont like to use a paste wax on bigger cars as i think its a waste, but Zymol is realy nice and is found in most car stores (al la autozone)

IS: Fan of Pinnacle, great product but i fell in love with the P21S wax, lasts longer and in my oppinon looks nicer.

Interior
================
Dashboards: Armor all, tried and true product. Keeps the black looking black, cant beat it.

Seats: use 2 diffrent brands. Megiuers, and Black Magik. I use the Black Magik when i know my seats need the proper cleaning. Megiuers Gold Class when im looking for a more shine.

Other

Foam Was Gun: Great for not wasting your car wash, realy nice and helps speed up the washing process.

Fire Hose Nozzle: Nice for dirty cars, i like to use this first to wash with this on bigger cars.

Microfiber is the word, invest in good towels otherwise your defeating the purpose of washing. www.autogeek.net is a great site, also gives Club Lexus Members a discount, go search the automotive detailing fourms for the code.

just remeber, keep your car clean otherwise your gona pay for it down the line. and Grats on the new IS350.

Last edited by marmont; 04-10-06 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-13-06 | 11:40 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Thanx for the replies guys. But can anyone tell me what local stores such as autozone, pepboys, walmart ect that sells everything I need to do a car wash? I cant wait another week without a car wash =( Please link me guys!
Old 04-13-06 | 12:21 PM
deuce2
Rookie

Originally Posted by digital_b
i hand wash only....the touchless car washes uses harsher chemicals than the brush carwash in order to get the dirt off your car without touching it....those chemicals can strip your wax and may be bad for your car...stay away from those.
Old 04-13-06 | 01:03 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Please reply to my post above guys!

Quick Reply: Best Cleaning Product