Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

First time wash with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06, 10:26 PM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time wash with a few questions

Well, got my first car ever, an IS250 GFM, and after reading all this stuff here I realize I probably should start washing my car regularly(been a month or so already, didn't know better before)

So heres the steps I'm planning to go through
wash once with dishwashing soap(not Dawn, does this matter? since I figure all dishwashing soap is the same, but then everyone says Dawn specifically)
Claybar following directions from the sticky
wash with zaino z7
2 or 3 coats of z5
2 or 3 coats of z2 with z6
windex the windows
something for the leather?
anything to do with wiping and whatnot will be done with microfiber towels

Now for the questions
the obvious first, am I missing some important step or doing something horribly wrong or unecessary?
Still in college, so I can only put aside about 8 hours or so to do this, is that enough?
Is this easy enough to do with basically no experience besides crudely washing cars and wiping them down with a towel? Or is there something easier I should try first?
Using all zaino stuff because it was mentioned in the sticky and comes in a pack, but it seems quite expensive, is there something that would work better and not cost around 100 for the whole deal?
What for the leather(black btw)

Also, after examining the car today, I noticed there was a scratch on the back door beside the wheel ><. From what I've read, the main thing to check if it's repairable or not is to run your fingernal on it and see if it "catches" but what counts as catching? I can definitely feel it if i run my fingernail across it, but then not a lot of force is needed to get across it.
If it's repairable, is it repairable without a machine buffer since that will triple the expenses right there.

thanks for the input!
Old 04-10-06, 04:02 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone uses different products, you just have to find the right ones. Zaino is a great choice As far as the wash, only use the dawn or any dish detergent this time before you wax the car, because it strips off the wax. Once you wax the car you will want to get a good car wash soap. I use P21s, it works great. With the clay detailer make sure you spray it with plenty of that detailer liquid they give you. You dont want it to be too dry otherwise there could be some scratches that result from the claying process. Als make sure you flip the clay and kneed it to keep it fresh.

As far as leather cleaner, Lexol is ok but I am looking into the Zaino leather cleaner or something comparable
Old 04-10-06, 06:58 AM
marmont
Driver School Candidate

DONT USE WINDEX FOR YOUR CAR. youll marr your protectiving UV film on your window. ESPEICALY True if you have tinted windows.

Dont realy see the reason for clay barring, would be nice but i realy dont see the reason as most Lexus should come pre-washed and prepared.

Zaino is nice, but if you dont have a Porter Cable and plan on putting on that many coats youll tire yourself out.

www.autopia.com is a great site, read it up for more info.
Old 04-16-06, 09:07 PM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

Need the clay barring because I havent washed the car since I got it, and won't be able to for another 3 weeks because finals are coming up(total of 2 1/2, almost 3 months)
hopefully the paint won't be irrepairable after this amount of time

pretty much given up on the scratch, it seems the general consensus is that if youc an even feel it with your nail, no matter how slightly, its either professional detailing or living with it. Don't wanna resort to professional detailing after such a short time, so I'm just gonna live with it for now.

After a lot lot more reading up, I'm finally ordering all the things now
Not completely decided on the windows though, I read somewhere that someone clay barred and used Z5 on their windows, so I'm thinking of that, does anyone know if this is safe though?

and anyone have an estimate how many towels/wash mitts/ applicator pads/buffing cloths I will need for this whole thing?
Old 04-16-06, 09:22 PM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by argabaga
Well, got my first car ever, an IS250 GFM, and after reading all this stuff here I realize I probably should start washing my car regularly(been a month or so already, didn't know better before)

So heres the steps I'm planning to go through
wash once with dishwashing soap(not Dawn, does this matter? since I figure all dishwashing soap is the same, but then everyone says Dawn specifically)
Claybar following directions from the sticky
wash with zaino z7
2 or 3 coats of z5
2 or 3 coats of z2 with z6
windex the windows
something for the leather?
anything to do with wiping and whatnot will be done with microfiber towels

Now for the questions
the obvious first, am I missing some important step or doing something horribly wrong or unecessary?
Still in college, so I can only put aside about 8 hours or so to do this, is that enough?
Is this easy enough to do with basically no experience besides crudely washing cars and wiping them down with a towel? Or is there something easier I should try first?
Using all zaino stuff because it was mentioned in the sticky and comes in a pack, but it seems quite expensive, is there something that would work better and not cost around 100 for the whole deal?
What for the leather(black btw)

Also, after examining the car today, I noticed there was a scratch on the back door beside the wheel ><. From what I've read, the main thing to check if it's repairable or not is to run your fingernal on it and see if it "catches" but what counts as catching? I can definitely feel it if i run my fingernail across it, but then not a lot of force is needed to get across it.
If it's repairable, is it repairable without a machine buffer since that will triple the expenses right there.

thanks for the input!
Look at my pictures posted in this forum, under Red 350 w/Zaino. I have been detaliing my cars for several years and have a porter cable, which you don't need with Zanio. You have too many Zanio products going, just two are all you need and will last a long time.

#1 tip for any wax system is a TWO bucket wash, one for soap, one to rinse the mit, EVERY time it comes off the car. Don't scrub back and forth, that is what puts scratches in the clear coat, you are rubbing the dirt on the car around in circles. Swipe in one direction, once with each side of the mit, then rinse the mitt

#2 All new cars need clay to smooth out the paint for sealants. Mine did and I only had three weeks on it. The paint feels like glass after the clay, be sure to use a lube spray when claying.

#3 Use Zaino Z2 for clear coats with ZFX to speed cure time. You don't need to wax and for you, the Zaino will way outlast a wax job. Zaino goes on my hand, no power tool is needed, in fact would be a pain with the Zaino system.

#4 Use the Z6 spray for clay lube and between Zaino coats and for a quick detail between washes

#5 ALWAYS use quality microfiber cloths or 100% cotton towels..

Good luck and with proper washing, and Zaino twice a year, you car can look 90+ % of what us weekly washers and monthly waxers achieve!
Old 04-16-06, 11:49 PM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

Well, its pretty much the same thing your doing, with the addition of Z-5, which can't do much harm from what I can imagine, or am I wrong?

basically th eonly reason im getting the extra z-5 is because that makes a kit, giving a slight discount, and I can get a few free mf pads and towels with it =D
Old 04-18-06, 03:30 AM
argabaga
Driver School Candidate

So can anyone confirm if its safe to use clay bar and z5 on the windows?
non tinted yet, planning take them to the tint shop after i wash it up.