Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

A little how-to on chip repair.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 03:04 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Totally different. Z5 is a sealant, not a polish.
Thanks for the info.

So I'm looking at SFX-2 on autopia right now and I was wondering if I should get one of their polishing pads? What's the difference? You mention use a cotton applicator (is that the same kind you use to apply waxes and such?), but autopia has some fancy... professional applicator... or is something simpler like this good enough?

Lastly (for now), after you sand down the paint blob, you use SFX-2 to get out some of the marks, you should use SFX-3 to finish the job so to speak? Essentially, you move from 2500 grit paper to 3000 grit, to SFX-2 to SFX-3 (going finer and finer) until you can't see it anymore?

Last edited by AznJason; 09-11-06 at 01:36 PM. Reason: [learned more about polishes]
Old 03-23-08, 10:04 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Sorry to bring this thread back alive, but has anyone but the OP try this?

The sanding part looks real scary...
Old 03-29-08, 08:40 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought some Nikken unigrit sandpaper (2500, 3000) [they make the Unigrit for Meguiars] from PineWood Derby Den (sales@pinewoodderbyden.com) off of Ebay. They sold me pieces of 4x6 unigrit for a $1.25 each (just specify what grit you need). I figure I can try this out with some sandpaper before I fork out for the larger bulk pieces. The company is based out of South Carolina. I'll probably try this process on my black GS400 sometime in the next week or so using my PorterCable 7424 ROB. Will post results then.
Old 03-29-08, 06:11 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Thanks for bringing the thread back alive again...

Went to the dealer for some work and got back the car with some scratches on the side next to the hood...looks like someone was leaning over the car to work on the engine and scratched the paint. Both scratches were pretty deep.

I used 3M medium cut and fine cut rubbing compound to remove the scratches (mostly). I stopped because I was afraid I was rubbing too hard as to remove the clear coat....in fact I started seeing a little bit of blue (my paint color) on my rubbing cloth.

After reading the description above, did I remove the clearcoat...and if so, what are the consequences. Finally,what should I do about it?

Thanks for the help.

Also looking forward to others' success at following the tips in the original post.
Old 03-30-08, 07:08 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

OK guys...I just ordered the Langka blob eliminator (NOT the kit).

Looking at the threads and the tesimonials on the Langka site, it appeared the prepaint is just isopropyl alcohol, and the sealant may be a wax...not worth the extra $20.

Can anyone confirm. The site says the prepaint has "extra bonding agents"...but I think that is BS.

Let me know your thoughts/experience.
Old 03-30-08, 07:35 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy this is all very good Info but I don't think I have the guts to take a sanding block to my already hurt car. I guess you need a pro to do this type of repair! Again, thanks for the Info! We at least know that it can be done! Picus you are a talented Man!!!!!!
Old 03-30-08, 11:23 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MelYW
Thanks for bringing the thread back alive again...

Went to the dealer for some work and got back the car with some scratches on the side next to the hood...looks like someone was leaning over the car to work on the engine and scratched the paint. Both scratches were pretty deep.

I used 3M medium cut and fine cut rubbing compound to remove the scratches (mostly). I stopped because I was afraid I was rubbing too hard as to remove the clear coat....in fact I started seeing a little bit of blue (my paint color) on my rubbing cloth.

After reading the description above, did I remove the clearcoat...and if so, what are the consequences. Finally,what should I do about it?

Thanks for the help.

Also looking forward to others' success at following the tips in the original post.

The dealer should be the one who corrects the scratches he put in your car. I would demand they fix them to the way it was or for them to pay to have that part repainted. You payed them money to work on your car and they ended up causing more damage, that is unacceptable.
Old 05-04-08, 04:20 PM
mayad79
Rookie

Default My cheap paint job

Hello,

I had a dent in my door, which was pulled, but when I had a freind paint the door it left lines that looked like wrinkles. it seemes to have gotten worsed over the past few months. The color and match was good.

1.) I this fixable?
Old 09-17-08, 07:58 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thats nice on a scratch now what about rock chips !!!!??!
Old 09-18-08, 06:34 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

nice man..but im scared to do things like that to my car..lol
Old 09-18-08, 08:58 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I seen this post a while ago and have been planning on trying it as soon as I got a PC. Just got my UDM from GlimmerGlass a week or so ago and will be trying this soon. I'll post pics for sure.
Old 01-27-09, 01:42 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The PC is on sale at amazon. $112.00
Old 01-27-09, 07:29 AM
SupraMan17
Intermediate

awesome tutorial....i have so many damn chips on my car haha gonna take forever to do
Old 01-27-09, 07:54 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after going over this thread again I am going to try this on a few spots on my car. I have all the equipment except the sandpaper. As soon as I get some free time it's on . Thanks again for the great writeup
Old 01-27-09, 10:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Has anybody tried Dr. Colorchip. I have a bunch of paint chips and small road rash chips on my hood and front bumper and would love something that is better at taking care of that then just the sloppy bottle of dealer paint and a toothpick or brush that never turns out that well. I have read a few people who really like Dr. Colorchip or Langka and others who say it is not worth the expensive price it is.

Quick Reply: A little how-to on chip repair.