Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

fadeing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 04:18 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fadeing

a friend was telling me not to use armarol on the black pices in my car he said it will fade them is this true.
Old 04-23-06, 04:36 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by biglexass
a friend was telling me not to use armarol on the black pices in my car he said it will fade them is this true.
Well without knowing which of the 20 or so interior dressing products made by ArmorAll that he is talking about it's impossible to say. That said, I find it very unlikely that using any ArmorAll interior dressing/protectant on interior trim will fade it. The entire idea behind those dressings is that they protect the peices from the suns UV rays, and prevent fading. I would not use ArmorAlls dash protectants on leather, however for vinyl, rubber, and other trim they should be perfectly fine. Just follow the instructions (spray on, wipe in, buff off, always when cool and it helps to use a damp cloth)

I personally use ArmorAll to dress wheel wells because it's cheap.
Old 04-24-06, 07:36 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The "Areospace 303" and "Vinylex" seem to be the preferred vinyl protectants. I use both.
Old 04-24-06, 07:44 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tammy
The "Areospace 303" and "Vinylex" seem to be the preferred vinyl protectants. I use both.
The Aerospace stuff is awesome. Protects, shines, and restored the plastic/vinyl in my interior to "like new" without the super greasy residue that Armor All leaves.
Old 04-24-06, 11:25 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, there are definitely better alternatives, but I still don't think ArmorAll will fade anything. Oh, and fwiw ArmorAll isn't greasy anymore, at least not up here.
Old 04-24-06, 01:30 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Picus is correct.

Armor All isn't the same Armor All that got such a bad reputation back in the 70's and 80's, because they were forced to reformulate the product due to many tire manufacturer lawsuits, due to premature cracking. That formula contained an oil based silicone, called dimethyl, and promoted cracking, and was also greasy because of the type of oil-based silicone in it..

Today's formula is water based (PDMS) and not the same. The problem is, once you have a bad rep, it's difficult to remove that stigma from the minds of consumers. Remember how Audi almost went bankrupt because of the "unintended acceleration" debacle? Today, there are better protectants out there (303 & Vinylex to name 2) but they're also more $$$.

It won't hurt your car now like the old formula, but old news dies hard.