Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Another Zaino Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 01:23 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Zaino Question

OK, I am ready to spend some fundage on some Zaino. My car is a 2001 and the finish is in great shape. No real swirls or scratches. What Zaino products should I buy? Here is what I think I need.

1. ZFX
2. Z-2 Pro
3. Z-6

The above list seems like the bare bones what I will need. However I see some folks using Z-2 and Z-5 in an alternate application. If I understand it correctly, if you have some swirls/scratches you should use the Z-5. If you have good finish, use the Z-2. Also, can you use the Z-8 spray in lieu of the Z-6 spray. Or, should you have both. Finally, is the Z-7 car wash required or will my Poor Boys wash work fine? Finally here is how I see the application process.

1. Wash car with Dawn.
2. Clay bar car using car wash(Z-7) as lubricant.
3. Wash car with car wash.
4. Apply Z-2 Pro w/ZFX
5. Let Z-2 dry and buff off.
6. Spray down car with Z-6 and wipe off.
7. Apply Z-2 Pro W/ZFX.
8. Spray down car with Z-6 and wipe off.
9. Apply Z-2 Pro W/ZFX.
10. Spray down car with Z-6 and wipe off.
11. Sit down with a cold one and enjoy!

Mantain finish with standard car wash(Z-7 or Poorboys) and spray down with Z-6 or Z-8 and wipe down.

I know there are a lot of techniques out there to use this stuff but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that I end up not using. I have read all the threads about it and the sticky with info from Sal. I just want another opinion before I send in my order. Thanks.
Old 04-28-06, 02:09 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasGS
OK, I am ready to spend some fundage on some Zaino. My car is a 2001 and the finish is in great shape. No real swirls or scratches. What Zaino products should I buy? Here is what I think I need.

1. ZFX
2. Z-2 Pro
3. Z-6

The above list seems like the bare bones what I will need. However I see some folks using Z-2 and Z-5 in an alternate application. If I understand it correctly, if you have some swirls/scratches you should use the Z-5. If you have good finish, use the Z-2. Also, can you use the Z-8 spray in lieu of the Z-6 spray. Or, should you have both. Finally, is the Z-7 car wash required or will my Poor Boys wash work fine? Finally here is how I see the application process.

1. Wash car with Dawn.
2. Clay bar car using car wash(Z-7) as lubricant.
4. Apply Z-2 Pro w/ZFX
7. Apply Z-2 Pro W/ZFX.
9. Apply Z-2 Pro W/ZFX.

Mantain finish with standard car wash(Z-7 or Poorboys) and spray down with Z-6 or Z-8 and wipe down.

I know there are a lot of techniques out there to use this stuff but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that I end up not using. I have read all the threads about it and the sticky with info from Sal. I just want another opinion before I send in my order. Thanks.

Alright, step by step answers:

1) Bare bones all you need is z2 pro and zfx, z6 is a nice addition.
2) z5 does have fillers, but I (and some others) find they do very little. I recommend polishing out marring and using z2pro only (or z5 if you like the look), z5 is a little more muted, most people prefer the look of z2.
3) z8 can be used in place of z6, but I wouldn't. Why? It's expensive and it's more a spray on sealant than QD. I'd buy Z6 and use it during application, then if I bought Z8 I'd use it after application and to maintain.
4) your poorboys wash is fine, zaino wash is just regular old automotive wash.

Your process looks good. Here is what I would change.

1. Wash car with automotive soap. Why? Dawn is bad for trim and the clay will remove any waxes you have on anyway.
2. Clay bar car using car wash+water as lubricant.
4. Apply Z-2 Pro w/ZFX
7. Apply Z-2 Pro W/ZFX.
9. Apply Z-2 Pro W/ZFX.

If you buy Z8 subsitute step 10 with Z8, otherwise you're good to go.
Old 04-28-06, 05:41 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picus, thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I figure I will buy the ZFX, Z-2 Pro, and Z-6. I just really did not want to have to buy an extra $40 worth of products if I don't need them. I am going to place my order tomorrow. Also, one more thing. What applicator and type of towel do you recommend? I use microfiber towels for my drying and remove standard wax.
Old 04-28-06, 07:03 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Picus, thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I figure I will buy the ZFX, Z-2 Pro, and Z-6. I just really did not want to have to buy an extra $40 worth of products if I don't need them. I am going to place my order tomorrow. Also, one more thing. What applicator and type of towel do you recommend? I use microfiber towels for my drying and remove standard wax.
Zaino recommends cotton but I use mf for everything but washing, and foam to apply waxes/sealants. I'd stick with what you know and use your mf clothes to buff the Zaino off.
Old 04-29-06, 12:52 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do these exact same steps with my GS and the Zaino products. It turns out great.

I use the Zaino cotton applicators for applying Z2 Pro polish. They give you one for free with an order of more than $25 I think.

I have only put one coat of Z2 Pro on this spring so far. This morning I woke up and washed the GS with Z7 then did a quick spray with the Z8 and it is so reflective my paint looks like wet ice! Mine is silver but it really stands out on the dark cars.

I think the most important step is the clay bar. I spent about and 1-1/2 hours claying every inch to get my paint feeling like glass. Those clay bars work so well to remove crap that scrubbing won't. Once you put a coat of Z2 on your car will be extremely easy to wash. Dirt comes off so easy when I wash my car now. I have always used the Z6 gloss enhancer and figured I would try the new Z8 this year. That stuff is awesome.

I had one of those little bottles of ZFX left over from last year and when I pulled it out this spring the ZFX actually hardened up inside the bottle and turned into a solid. That is my only complaint. It says the shelf life is a couple years and it's only been about 6-8 months since I last used it. WTF
Old 04-29-06, 01:09 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GUNRU-GS4

I had one of those little bottles of ZFX left over from last year and when I pulled it out this spring the ZFX actually hardened up inside the bottle and turned into a solid. That is my only complaint. It says the shelf life is a couple years and it's only been about 6-8 months since I last used it. WTF
Contact Sal - he will send you a free replacement. This issue has come up before and he's taken care of anyone that mentions it to him.
Old 04-30-06, 10:05 AM
artie00
Rookie

I was looking for some answers to using Zaino as well and you guys answered most of them. Now what about subsequent car washes after that initial wash? If I were to wash my car every few weeks or so would I just repeat steps 3-11 or just using Z-7 to wash and a quick spray with Z-6 suffice? Also would repeating the whole process (steps 1-11) every few months be recommended?
Old 04-30-06, 11:22 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The best thing about Zaino is it lasts quite a long time, so all you need to do to maintain it is wash with an automotive soap/dry, and apply Z6 regularly for added shine. After 4-6 months you'll probably notice the beading getting a little irregular, which means it's time to apply another layer of Z2/Z5, but for the most part it's pretty easy to maintain.
Old 04-30-06, 01:19 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by artie00
I was looking for some answers to using Zaino as well and you guys answered most of them. Now what about subsequent car washes after that initial wash? If I were to wash my car every few weeks or so would I just repeat steps 3-11 or just using Z-7 to wash and a quick spray with Z-6 suffice? Also would repeating the whole process (steps 1-11) every few months be recommended?
I wash my car once a week with Z7. Then a quick spray and wipe with Z6 or Z8 and car looks freshly waxed. I usually put a couple coats of Z2 on in the spring and then again in the fall.
Old 04-30-06, 02:47 PM
artie00
Rookie

Thanks for the responses guys. One more question is would I have to claybar the car anymore after the initial wash?
Old 04-30-06, 03:05 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Claybar is important, but you really don't need to do it more than once or twice a year max unless you need to (to remove overspray or something). I do it to my car every spring.