Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Getting GS back from Paint..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 04:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Getting GS back from Paint..?

I'm getting my car back tomorrow from the Paint shop.. I got my whole front end repainted so i was wondering if its to early to put wax on it? I have a 2 hr drive back home and needless to say I'll be running into bugs on I-95.. Is there anything i can do when i get home? Just soap and water? What about a detailing wax mist spray?

I always thought that you needed to wait a few weeks before you put anything on the paint

I mean the paint is cured from the heat bay at the shop but is it still to early to put anything on there?

How long should i wait before i clear bra the front end?

Thanks

Tony
Old 04-28-06, 05:30 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they bake the paint you can wax it right away, although I still like to wait a couple weeks. If they didn't bake it you're going to have to wait 6+ weeks. I assume they baked it, so you should be OK. Guitarman is the technical paint guru, maybe he has some more insight.
Old 04-28-06, 05:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by picus
If they bake the paint you can wax it right away, although I still like to wait a couple weeks. If they didn't bake it you're going to have to wait 6+ weeks. I assume they baked it, so you should be OK. Guitarman is the technical paint guru, maybe he has some more insight.
Thanks picus.. yes they baked it.. can't wait to get it tomorrow with some surprizing pics..
Old 04-28-06, 07:09 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally speaking...Baking yields an immediate 80% cure, but you'll need to wait at least 1 week for 100% curing, at least to play it safe. There's still a bit of off gassing of solvents even after baking. Whether or not they're enough there to cause trouble if waxed over is anyone's guess, but..why chance it? A little extra attention to the car daily (rather than the insurance of a wax) is a small price to pay after expensive paintwork.

In the meantime, quick detailers without wax in them (Zaino- Meguiar's Final Inspection) are fine, as are pure glazes like Meguiar's #7. They won't give you any real protection, but it's at least something.

After each road trip, some quick detailer to remove the bugs is a good idea. Hope the car turns out great for you, enjoy!
Old 04-28-06, 07:26 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Generally speaking...Baking yields an immediate 80% cure, but you'll need to wait at least 1 week for 100% curing, at least to play it safe. There's still a bit of off gassing of solvents even after baking. Whether or not they're enough there to cause trouble if waxed over is anyone's guess, but..why chance it? A little extra attention to the car daily (rather than the insurance of a wax) is a small price to pay after expensive paintwork.

In the meantime, quick detailers without wax in them (Zaino- Meguiar's Final Inspection) are fine, as are pure glazes like Meguiar's #7. They won't give you any real protection, but it's at least something.

After each road trip, some quick detailer to remove the bugs is a good idea. Hope the car turns out great for you, enjoy!
So Meguires quik mist and wipe Detailer be ok? or i have shining monkey detailer? Thanks for your help btw..
Old 04-28-06, 09:25 PM
steevo
Rookie

just had my car repainted, and bodyshop said to wait 2 weeks to wash
Old 04-29-06, 06:55 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steevo, I haven't personally used that product, so I don't know what's in it, but if it DOESN'T say it has wax in it, then yes, go right ahead and use it.

Most of the Q/Ds that have wax in them are labled so. The 2 products I mentioned I know are wax-free. There are others that perhaps others here can mention.

I know Jim ( Jeflbab) is a big Meguiar's fan, so it's likely he can better answer that one.
Old 04-29-06, 10:21 AM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

Recently on my 04 Volvo, after a crash, had the front end repaired, hood painted, fenders blended. Hi end body shop certified by Lexus and BMW. They baked and said, "no abrasives for 60 days" to allow full cure. No clay, no wax with "cleaners." "Pure wax okay as a temporary protectant. After 60 days feel free to go at it with your regular program..."
My two cents, don't rush the cure...
Old 04-29-06, 01:10 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Megs quik mist doesn't have wax - they have a spray on wax product that says wax in the name, so as long as it just says quik mist you're good to go (should be a purpleish bottle, as opposed to the blue one their spray on wax comes in).
Old 04-29-06, 03:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Go to your local store, pick up a roll of plastic wrap, and then start wrapping your front end. JK

Though it could work
Old 04-29-06, 06:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Well i drove the car home today from Orlando and sure enough ran into some bugs.. I quickly used car soap and water and basically washed the whole front end... Car came out great.. Might have some pics tomorrow.. Thanks for all your help...
Old 04-29-06, 11:26 PM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

Go to your local store, pick up a roll of plastic wrap, and then start wrapping your front end. JK
LOL...
Good luck with the new paint job tmf. Post the pics kwik...

Old 04-30-06, 12:26 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by PoppFlyy
LOL...
Good luck with the new paint job tmf. Post the pics kwik...

Seriously I'm going to start doing that when i drive long distances etc.. I know one member who uses painters tape... So i guess what ever works..