Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint is messed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 08:14 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Whoa. What the heck are all those speck marks? Are those paint chips? How did the paint get so chipped up in that area?
Old 04-30-06, 08:18 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
TOE, what color is your car?
My car is black. I know it has to be because of the towels. They are soft, but MY GOOODNESS how soft do they have to be? Anyway, I am now in the process of looking for a handfree wash place around my area. If anyone knows of a good "hands free" wash around the SGV/626 (so cali) please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 04-30-06, 08:19 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, I think its ridiculous how all these cars are getting so advanced mechanically but the paint is worse or no better than 1975 paint. Even my previous car (G35) had really weak/thin paint and the 2IS is no better.
Old 04-30-06, 08:38 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
My car is black. I know it has to be because of the towels. They are soft, but MY GOOODNESS how soft do they have to be? Anyway, I am now in the process of looking for a handfree wash place around my area. If anyone knows of a good "hands free" wash around the SGV/626 (so cali) please let me know.

Thanks.
Use a genuine sheepskin mit to wash and the Absorber to dry. Greatest invention ever.

Last edited by TimboIS; 04-30-06 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-30-06, 09:53 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e-man
Whoa. What the heck are all those speck marks? Are those paint chips? How did the paint get so chipped up in that area?
Those are lint from the 100% cotton terry towel I used to polish...
ptmIS350: have you gotten your spot on your hood fixed?
Old 05-01-06, 12:05 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those are some nasty swirl marks. my car was DELIVERED with swirl marks. I am hoping that my random orbital buffer and some good synthetic 'wax' can fix this. my dealer will never wash my car again. there are cars on the showroom floor with swirls. and I mean every car.
Old 05-01-06, 12:39 AM
Smooth1
Rookie

Default Black Paint

I was very close to purchasing a Black IS 350 because I was impatient and did not want to wait 2 months for the SMG , I was in the financing office processing all of the necessary documents when the finance person told me (( so your a waxer huh ))

I had no idea what he was talking about so I said what ?? He said that most people that purchase black cars are waxers , I said why is that ? he said because the Lexus cars that are black have absolutely no CLEAR COAT so being that I am definately not a waxer I passed on the black car. The point that I am trying to make is that with no clear coat you basically have no protection except for waxing once a week or some type of sealant therefore extra care and precautionary measures need to be taken all the time , I am sorry to see your Black paint is damaged and hopefully you can find a good body shop to do the repairs.
Old 05-01-06, 01:12 AM
imthedj
Driver School Candidate

Even though I dont have my Lexus yet, I had the a similiar problem with my Acura. I went to a hand washing place and the guy that washed my ccar had on jeans and as he was washing the top of the car, the metal button on his jeans scrached the hell out my car. The car wash place didnt want to pay, I guess cause ost of the guys that work there are either illegal or ex cons. Anyway I had to take the guys to court, luckily I keep a digital camera with me most of the time, I snapped a few pics, and then I acted like I turned it off while speaking with the manager I left it on video, and had him recorded saying that they guy did do the scratches, but all they would do is have him fired. I had to play that video to the mediator and they settled out of court.

Anyway, that mark in your car looks like a modified buffer or something spinning faster than a buffer, possibly a modified drill or sander with a buff pad and it burned through the paint.
Old 05-01-06, 05:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i really doubt that mark was made by someones button scratching it, it looks machine done
Old 05-01-06, 06:14 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

It's buffer burn.

Last edited by monkeyfarm; 05-01-06 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 06:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankyJ
i always took my car to a touchless car wash, which always did a great job, and then one day i took it to a hand wash place to try it out, and around my drivers door there are swirls. gu guess i shoulda kept to the touchless wash
these are nothing more than high pressure washing your car which I've heard is a no-no as well. 2500 psi pressure washing your paint is not a good thing....especially if the water is recycled....also this will most likely strip every bit of wax from your car with the detergents that are used. ...but whatever makes you happy.

Me personally...I get pleasure from hand washing my vehicle and no form of auto car wash will ever see this car.......and no machine buffer thing will EVER touch it.
Old 05-01-06, 06:35 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
these are nothing more than high pressure washing your car which I've heard is a no-no as well. 2500 psi pressure washing your paint is not a good thing....especially if the water is recycled....also this will most likely strip every bit of wax from your car with the detergents that are used. ...but whatever makes you happy.

Me personally...I get pleasure from hand washing my vehicle and no form of auto car wash will ever see this car.......and no machine buffer thing will EVER touch it.
There's nothing wrong with machine buffing. In fact, polishing via machine buffer once a year or so goes a long way to keeping your car's finish looking new.

The problem is when inexperienced people get their hands on professional tools like a rotary. The potential for damage as show in the pics is obvious. However, there are plenty of tools available for weekend detailers that pose basically zero risk, most noteably the random orbital buffer. I won't go into details. If you're interested, there's tons of information here:

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/
Old 05-01-06, 06:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Smooth1
I was very close to purchasing a Black IS 350 because I was impatient and did not want to wait 2 months for the SMG , I was in the financing office processing all of the necessary documents when the finance person told me (( so your a waxer huh ))

I had no idea what he was talking about so I said what ?? He said that most people that purchase black cars are waxers , I said why is that ? he said because the Lexus cars that are black have absolutely no CLEAR COAT so being that I am definately not a waxer I passed on the black car. The point that I am trying to make is that with no clear coat you basically have no protection except for waxing once a week or some type of sealant therefore extra care and precautionary measures need to be taken all the time , I am sorry to see your Black paint is damaged and hopefully you can find a good body shop to do the repairs.

Smooth, your finance guy is working with only partial information...

some Lexus black does not have a clear coat, some does have it... those reporting in seem to show the newer models DO have clearcoat.

Here is a thread about it and how to tell in our ClubLexus detailing forum https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=black
Old 05-01-06, 07:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
What are all the scratches from around that spot? Was there any sort of orbital buffer being used or other power equipment that could burn through the paint?
GSE25: like others and I have suggested, would be good to know this bit of information.

Was there any sort of buffer being used or other power equipment that could burn through the paint (either by you or someone else)? Maybe trying to take those scratches out?
Old 05-01-06, 07:17 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

GSE25,

Sorry to see that your paint looks like that.

I remember you have your car grill painted. Did you take it to a shop to do it? Is it possible that those paint damage was caused by them?

I agree that the front chips too easily, especially compared to the 1st gen IS. Besides, it is amazing to see the difference in the front bumper between my 2nd gen IS and a brand new 2006 Accord (similar color) with even a 1000KM more milege and more highway driving. There are more small stone chips on the IS.

Maybe you should take it to a reputable detailing shop to look at it?

Hoep it helps.

Quick Reply: Paint is messed up