Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint is messed up

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 08:12 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I picked up the car from the dealership.. I had them throw in a wax job... but due to poor lighting and bad weather (winter) when I picked up my car.. I didn't realize that there were tons of scratches on my car already... I complained to them but they wouldnt do anything... hence all those swirl marks. I'm not sure if they used a buffer when they waxed it.. but after I picked up my car.. it has never been touched by anything except my hands... and NO WAY I rubbed hard enough for the paint to come off...

It couldn't have been the shop that painted my grille. On Saturday when I left the track, I thoroughly examined my entire car before I left and it was okay.. Its just that the next morning when I wanted to wash all the bugs off.. i found that spot.

Last edited by GSE25; 05-01-06 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-01-06, 08:28 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another possibility is damage during transit and a poor repair/repaint to fix it.
Old 05-01-06, 07:42 PM
blkIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Also, where can I find good towels nowadays? I used to pick them up at wal mart last year... and they were pretty good. Now, I have noticed that the new towels are hard as rocks.... I went to Advanced auto... same thing.
PakShak makes the best detailing towels you can use. I just ordred about $150 worth of them. They are not cheap but they are the best. It is pakshak dot com.
Old 05-01-06, 07:48 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto. I am also waiting to get the first hands on various PakShak microfibre cloths. Hope they arrive soon.
Old 05-01-06, 07:56 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AndyL
Ditto. I am also waiting to get the first hands on various PakShak microfibre cloths. Hope they arrive soon.
Ranny is the man for MF. I've got about $250 worth of MF from him and they're great.
Old 05-01-06, 08:27 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I've always been told NEVER to use MicroFibre cloths on the exterior finish, especially not on clear coat. MF material is usually 70% Polyester and 30% Polyamide, both synthetics, and prone to scratching soft surfaces. Again, I'd stick with 100% cotton for exterior drying.
Old 05-01-06, 08:35 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I've always been told NEVER to use MicroFibre cloths on the exterior finish, especially not on clear coat. MF material is usually 70% Polyester and 30% Polyamide, both synthetics, and prone to scratching soft surfaces. Again, I'd stick with 100% cotton for exterior drying.
Not all MF is created the same. Check out the detailing forums. (Good quality) MF is the material of choice for pretty much everything now.
Old 05-01-06, 08:41 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by al503
Not all MF is created the same. Check out the detailing forums. (Good quality) MF is the material of choice for pretty much everything now.
Actually they all are pretty much the same, to use the MicroFibre(tm) and ALL synthetic by definition. They may go by different trade names:

- Trevira Finesse (polyester)
- Fortrel Microspun (polyester)
- DuPont Micromattique (polyester)
- Shingosen (polyester)
- Supplex Microfiber (nylon)
- Tactel Micro (nylon)
- Silky Touch (nylon)
- Microsupreme (acrylic)

They are synthetic. Use at your own risk.
Old 05-01-06, 08:57 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Actually they all are pretty much the same, to use the MicroFibre(tm) and ALL synthetic by definition. They may go by different trade names:

- Trevira Finesse (polyester)
- Fortrel Microspun (polyester)
- DuPont Micromattique (polyester)
- Shingosen (polyester)
- Supplex Microfiber (nylon)
- Tactel Micro (nylon)
- Silky Touch (nylon)
- Microsupreme (acrylic)

They are synthetic. Use at your own risk.
That's like saying cotton is cotton.

I'd recommend going to autopia.org and read up on what the people who detail for a living use.

BTW, sorry to the original poster for the thread drift.
Old 05-01-06, 09:06 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by al503
That's like saying cotton is cotton.

I'd recommend going to autopia.org and read up on what the people who detail for a living use.

BTW, sorry to the original poster for the thread drift.
I don't understand your analogy, you should check http://www.cotton.org

I agree to some extent, those people are professionals. Just like I wouldn't buy a metal pick to clean my own teeth. Any tool in thw wrong hands will cause damage (referring back to the original topic at hand, clearly rubbed raw). Dragging a MF cloth across your hand will grab (try it), dragging MF across an improperly cleaned/prepared surface will do the same, with nasty results. I'm only putting out the safest alternatives. With that said, give anyone enough rope, they're free to hang themselves.
Old 05-01-06, 09:10 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

I don't understand your analogy, you should check http://www.cotton.org

I agree to some extent, those people are professionals. Just like I wouldn't buy a metal pick to clean my own teeth. Any tool in thw wrong hands will cause damage (referring back to the original topic at hand, clearly rubbed raw). Dragging a MF cloth across your hand will grab (try it), dragging MF across an improperly cleaned/prepared surface will do the same, with nasty results. I'm only putting out the safest alternatives. With that said, give anyone enough rope, they're free to hang themselves.
Here's a good thread:
http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....+versus+cotton
Old 05-01-06, 09:59 PM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSE25
Before I picked up the car from the dealership.. I had them throw in a wax job... but due to poor lighting and bad weather (winter) when I picked up my car.. I didn't realize that there were tons of scratches on my car already... I complained to them but they wouldnt do anything... hence all those swirl marks. I'm not sure if they used a buffer when they waxed it.. but after I picked up my car.. it has never been touched by anything except my hands... and NO WAY I rubbed hard enough for the paint to come off...

It couldn't have been the shop that painted my grille. On Saturday when I left the track, I thoroughly examined my entire car before I left and it was okay.. Its just that the next morning when I wanted to wash all the bugs off.. i found that spot.
WAIT... SOMETHING DONT SOUND RIGHT. How could you not see a bald spot like that when you picked up the car from the dealer?? There is some information missing here! Check this out: I think when you picked up that car, you didnt see all the little cat scratches because the dealer loaded the car up with all of that glossy looking silicone glaze that makes the paint look greasy. After you gave it one or two good washes, all of the marks and cat scratches showed up. You were probably shocked by this and wondered WHAT THE FU$K??? Then, you probably got mad and got tired of looking at it... then you and possibly a buddy of yours decided to try and buff the marks out, but focked it up. I just noticed that the bald spot in your paint is very close to the crease in the hood. The paint will be thinnest at those points... it definitely looks like the fine work of a "shade tree" detailer...

Dont cry, just get it fixed

Lorna

Last edited by DaSweetgrl; 05-01-06 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 10:49 PM
ptmIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSE25
Those are lint from the 100% cotton terry towel I used to polish...
ptmIS350: have you gotten your spot on your hood fixed?
I buffed it out a little and used some scratch x but its still there. I have to take it to the body shop ....crapola. It's noticable to me mostly so I can afford to wait a few months. Thanks for askin GSE!
Old 05-01-06, 10:57 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

You need more than "proper" equipment, you also need proper technique. I assume you're washing it yourself (not one these "hand" wash places), and you're not using ANY synthetic mits, chamois, or towels. These often contain small abrasive particles. Also, never let the wash mit touch the ground (obviously), or the bottom of the wash bucket (you'll just be transferring dirt and grime back onto the mit). And never use anything but 100% pure egyptian cotton towels (if that's what you use to dry). May other towels that claim to be 100% cotton contain (ie. made in India for example), contain some particles that weren't combed out during the spinning process.
man I just wash my car with a mit from 99 cents only store and my paint is fine. I used gold class liquid wax to remove any scratches and it's working perfectly!
Old 05-02-06, 06:25 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Zephyr
man I just wash my car with a mit from 99 cents only store and my paint is fine. I used gold class liquid wax to remove any scratches and it's working perfectly!
The liquid wax isn't removing the scratches, it is just filling them. When the wax is gone, the scratches will be back.

I'd get rid of that 99 cent mitt in favor of a good sheepskin one. The best way to get rid of scratches and swirls is to avoid getting them in the first place.

Quick Reply: Paint is messed up