Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint is messed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 07:50 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint is messed up

This morning i was washing the car and found this:

The grey area is PRIMER.......................... WTF could have caused this?!
Would warranty be covered for this sort of thing?
Old 04-30-06, 07:53 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

so this happened WHILE you were washing the car, or it happened before (kinda looks like you got rubbed up against by something)? Im really not hearing good things about this paint . . . kinda worrying me!
Old 04-30-06, 07:57 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

It happened BEFORE I washed it.... paint is really thin as well....
Old 04-30-06, 08:10 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

do they use the same kind of paint for the other lexus models? They having these troubles???

I just feel like on some of the specs of the lexus it was hit or miss . . . the paint is looking like a miss for sure. I mean just imagine if people are having these problems now . . . what about in 4-5 years?!
Old 04-30-06, 08:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

What are all the scratches from around that spot? Was there any sort of orbital buffer being used or other power equipment that could burn through the paint?
Old 04-30-06, 09:24 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Seeing all the scratches, it looks like someone tried to buff them out, and went too far.

Last edited by TimboIS; 04-30-06 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-30-06, 10:16 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GSE25
I'd be very surprised in you were able to get warranty coverage for this. Hate to say it, but from the pictures you posted, especially the middle one, it really does look self-inflicted.

DaveGS4 asked about an orbital buffer, but to me it looks like a rotary buffer in inexperienced hands burned through the paint.
Old 04-30-06, 10:31 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

It sure looks like something hit the vehicle, or maybe some sort of tarp or car cover was left on too long in the wind.
Old 04-30-06, 10:38 AM
kenne74
Rookie

From looking at it their it seems as if their were some slight scratches that someone tried buffing out and burnt thru the paint. You will probably have to get your hood repainted in order for the paint to match since its such a big spot. But i could be wrong......sorry to see such a horrific thing on such a beautiful and new car.

Ken
Old 04-30-06, 10:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I'd be very surprised in you were able to get warranty coverage for this. Hate to say it, but from the pictures you posted, especially the middle one, it really does look self-inflicted.

DaveGS4 asked about an orbital buffer, but to me it looks like a rotary buffer in inexperienced hands burned through the paint.

Oops, you're correct. I meant to say rotary. Get those in the hands of an inexperienced user and you can burn paint off in a heartbeat.
Old 04-30-06, 04:40 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

From Day One I have had my car hand washed. After the first wash I noticed plenty of swirl marks and from certain angles I could see the base Primer Paint, which looked white/grayish.

Keep in mind that my car has never been buffed or waxed. It has been only Hand washed with the proper equipment and the paint seems to be fading already. This sucks bad, now I will have to re-paint the car in a couple years if i want it to look half as good as when I first bought it.
Old 04-30-06, 05:07 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
From Day One I have had my car hand washed. After the first wash I noticed plenty of swirl marks and from certain angles I could see the base Primer Paint, which looked white/grayish.

Keep in mind that my car has never been buffed or waxed. It has been only Hand washed with the proper equipment and the paint seems to be fading already. This sucks bad, now I will have to re-paint the car in a couple years if i want it to look half as good as when I first bought it.
You need more than "proper" equipment, you also need proper technique. I assume you're washing it yourself (not one these "hand" wash places), and you're not using ANY synthetic mits, chamois, or towels. These often contain small abrasive particles. Also, never let the wash mit touch the ground (obviously), or the bottom of the wash bucket (you'll just be transferring dirt and grime back onto the mit). And never use anything but 100% pure egyptian cotton towels (if that's what you use to dry). May other towels that claim to be 100% cotton contain (ie. made in India for example), contain some particles that weren't combed out during the spinning process.
Old 04-30-06, 07:53 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
You need more than "proper" equipment, you also need proper technique. I assume you're washing it yourself (not one these "hand" wash places), and you're not using ANY synthetic mits, chamois, or towels. These often contain small abrasive particles. Also, never let the wash mit touch the ground (obviously), or the bottom of the wash bucket (you'll just be transferring dirt and grime back onto the mit). And never use anything but 100% pure egyptian cotton towels (if that's what you use to dry). May other towels that claim to be 100% cotton contain (ie. made in India for example), contain some particles that weren't combed out during the spinning process.
Damn this is crazy. Its a car. It should be able to withstand some carwashes. Even with sponges and Tainted towels. I am really starting to worry about the paint, the way you guys are talking... TOE, what color is your car?

Also, where can I find good towels nowadays? I used to pick them up at wal mart last year... and they were pretty good. Now, I have noticed that the new towels are hard as rocks.... I went to Advanced auto... same thing.
Old 04-30-06, 07:58 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always took my car to a touchless car wash, which always did a great job, and then one day i took it to a hand wash place to try it out, and around my drivers door there are swirls. gu guess i shoulda kept to the touchless wash
Old 04-30-06, 08:09 PM
ptmIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSE25
This morning i was washing the car and found this:

The grey area is PRIMER.......................... WTF could have caused this?!

OH MY GOD THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME IN THE SAME SPOT! I think it's a coincidence but on Thursday I found deep back and forth scratches on that fender. i think some a$$hole was leaning on my car and moving back and forth while a button or something made deep scratches...man was I pissed. i have to got to the body shop and get it buffed out..I know it sucks!

Quick Reply: Paint is messed up