Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear Coat on Black IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06 | 05:50 PM
Guitarman

Originally Posted by Bobby G
Anyone get an answer from Lexus on this???

This has also been covered before, and it just muddies the waters more..

Some lexus dealerships have told CL members YES (cleared ) some say NO. So they seemingly have no more pertinent info than we do, or they don't know the "right" people to ask for the real answer.
Old 05-04-06 | 02:03 AM
jinetix
Pole Position

My foam applicator turned black when I tried to remove the scratch that Longo gave me.

They used rubbing compound and color sanded it to see if they can get rid of it but they couldn't and they warned me if they sand any further they'll get to the sheet metal. I asked if they sanded off all of my clearcoat, and they told me that the blacks didn't come with clear coat.

I thought the black was dirt from the paint.. I didn't know it was my paint coming off.
Old 05-04-06 | 05:25 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jinetix
My foam applicator turned black when I tried to remove the scratch that Longo gave me.

They used rubbing compound and color sanded it to see if they can get rid of it but they couldn't and they warned me if they sand any further they'll get to the sheet metal. I asked if they sanded off all of my clearcoat, and they told me that the blacks didn't come with clear coat.

I thought the black was dirt from the paint.. I didn't know it was my paint coming off.
Good to know. Odds are you've got single stage (it'd be pretty nutty if they sanded down through your clear), plus if they did you would be able to tell because the effected area would have less gloss.
Old 05-04-06 | 10:53 AM
zomg!11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Some lexus dealerships have told CL members YES (cleared ) some say NO. So they seemingly have no more pertinent info than we do, or they don't know the "right" people to ask for the real answer.
I don't really understand this, being Lexus dealerships need to provide the touch up paint for these vehicles. When I bought touch up paint before, they looked up the colors that I needed then provided me accordingly, supplying a separate clear coat if the color indeed has a clear coat. Surely they must have a list of all colors and models and if they have clear coat or not.
Old 05-05-06 | 09:26 AM
Bobby G
Driver School Candidate

Default What a crock...

Originally Posted by Guitarman
This has also been covered before, and it just muddies the waters more..

The whole issue seems like it would be an easy one to answer, but apparently not. I even tried e-mailing the customer service "hotline" on the website and they have just completely ignored my question. I got the e-mails saying that they got my question, but never any answers.
Old 05-05-06 | 09:59 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bobby G
The whole issue seems like it would be an easy one to answer, but apparently not. I even tried e-mailing the customer service "hotline" on the website and they have just completely ignored my question. I got the e-mails saying that they got my question, but never any answers.
I've asked three dealers, one GM - no one knew for sure. It's really clouded in mystery, which is why I'm tring to clear it up with local owners.
Old 05-05-06 | 10:55 AM
jinetix
Pole Position

I'm pretty sure that the Black doesn't have clearcoat. I tested the scratchx on my trunklid and rear bumper and my foam applicator turned black as well.
Old 05-18-06 | 01:41 PM
mystara
Driver School Candidate

I just talked to the body shop manager at a local Lexus dealer and he told me that all 2006 Lexus IS have a 2-stage clear coat finish. You would think he knows what he is talking about since that is his job?

Last edited by mystara; 05-18-06 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-18-06 | 03:44 PM
Guitarman

The contradictions just keep on coming...a new IS owner reports testing his and finds NO clearcoat, and a Lexus body shop manager contradicts that.

Either a LOT of cars are being repainted from transit damage, or there are 2 factorys churning out 2 different paint types of Lexus IS cars!

We may never have a definitive answer that covers everyone, but at least you can go out to your car and determine what YOU have, even if it goes against what others with that same vehicle say.

That may be the best we can do.
Old 05-18-06 | 04:22 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well I will put my 2 cents in since my car was just in an accident and repainted by a high line shop that works only on Lexus, BMW's and Porsche and I can confirm that the Black Onyx paint on my 02 GS430 DOES have clearcoat. I made it a point to get this clarified since I've seen this debate of "does it" or "doesn't it"
Old 05-18-06 | 05:51 PM
Guitarman

Thanks for the input AZ, that goes along with other post 2001 GS owners whom (mostly) stated the same thing.

I'm familiar with Ford paint the most, and I can tell you they had quite a few "running changes" in production, for the paint booth... some even occurring mid-year in a given year.

From the brief overview, it would *appear* Lexus started with early ( 1990's thru 2001-ish)black onyx vehicles only in single stage, then after ~2001 switched over to clearcoat, then (now) possibly changing back over to single stage, umm...*maybe* lol.

This is certainly ONLY my overview of what i've gleaned, and by no means an official answer. ( meaning- don't sue me! )
Old 05-18-06 | 05:57 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, I think on all the cars except the 1st gen IS they were using two stage on all cars after '01. I am starting to think the 2nd gen IS is also two stage, but I haven't confirmed it yet.
Old 05-18-06 | 06:03 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

im glad i read this . . . i thought for sure it did but may have to check back now . . .
Old 05-19-06 | 06:59 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Will a car without clear coat show or get more swirls and scratches?
Old 05-19-06 | 07:58 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
Will a car without clear coat show or get more swirls and scratches?
No. In terms of marring and general maintenance (washing, polishing, waxing, etc...) they behave the same. Single stage is slightly less durable over a long period of time (decades, not years).

Quick Reply: Clear Coat on Black IS350?