Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-01, 06:57 PM
Tate16t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hey, what products are available to remove minor scratches in my paint?

1999 GS3 Black/Nav
Old 09-17-01, 08:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Tate16t:

I had a large amount of very fine scratches on the rear of my trunk lid (where the badges are), also a black GS. Very visible in direct sunlight. I used a product from 3M called "Imperial Hand Glaze" on the area, two applications and it made an amazing difference. The product was recommended to me by a guy who is terribly **** about taking care of his car.

The hand glaze is very mild, but you need to wax again after applying this stuff. The overall change in the gloss of the finish is incredible.

While buying the glaze (at Pep Boys about $9), I noticed another product called 3M PERFECT-IT Glaze Swirl Mark Remover (dark color cars) that looked very similar - I almost bought this instead.
Old 09-17-01, 08:29 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Zaino

Tate - Might try Zaino's products ( overwhelming favorite of most of the CL members ). Specifically the Z-5 which works wonders on my black GS. Probably more labor extensive than Dave's recommendations, though.
www.zainobros.com

Also might want to check out the following thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=19667
Old 09-18-01, 01:13 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Gene...

although the Zainos are really good.. if they are scratches-scratches(deep) not swirl-scratches, the zaino will do no good (according to Sal). Zaino has absolutely no abrasives and does not take off any part of the clear coat... so if they are deep scratches, they won't be removed... My white GS has swirls made by some unprofessional buffer guy that would not come out with the zaino..This is why I talked with sal. I can still see the swirls although the car is definitely very shiny...
According to this guy I know at one of the local shops here, the 3M stuff will get rid of those pesky swirls just great. that's what they use as a pre-treatment to the application of their wax and sealant. I see their cars around.. pretty nice!!! mirror like! As soon as I get enough money and as soon as the zaino wears off, i'm going to have them buff out the swirls on my car then I'll re-apply the zaino.
Old 09-18-01, 01:45 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Good To Hear From Ya!

Manny - Glad to hear from ya &, BTW, I agree with your views on the WTC situation ( in the Lobby ). U R absolutely correct about the Z-5 but this also applies to the 3M products as well. Any topical product for swirls/shallow scratches only FILLS IN the scratches. ONLY a carefully done power buffing ( not even by hand ) will REMOVE swirls. As RON430 & I discussed a few days ago, U must take the surrounding paint/clear coat down to level of the scratch as U can only fill a scratch up so much. This may require several buffings with a progressively milder compound as every compound creates it's own scratches. The trick is to finish up the power buffing with only extremely shallow swirls which U can THEN fill in with Z-5 or the 3M product. I agree that Z-5 would be worthless on a key scratch as it would be too deep to fill in. Just depends on how severe the marks R & how good YOU want the car to look! I remember someone by the name of MANNY talking about EIGHT coats of Zaino a few months ago!!!:eek: Don't make me go find that post!!
Old 09-18-01, 03:21 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

hahahha... yea.

guess what.. my dad added yet another coat of zaino when I left!!! ahha... so.. uh.. total of 9 coats.. hehehe...

yup... I agree with you 100%

just wanted to point out that even certain swirls are not removable by zaino (and you just said that.. haha so I am just redundantly repeating myself over and over again unnecessarily) ... the body shop recommended the 3m thing to me... but anyhow... great hearing from ya, where've ya been lately, man!!!

P.S. One more thing... The 3m imperial hand glaze is sorta hard to remove... I tried it once... and it doesnt glide on and wipe off like zaino does...

Last edited by babyGS3; 09-18-01 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-18-01, 08:05 AM
Tate16t
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Thanks for everyone's input. The scratches are not swirls, they are more like light key type scratches. By the sound of the responses, 3M is the product to use?
Old 09-18-01, 02:54 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Tate...
if you can run your finger across the paint and feel the scratches.... only a professional buffer can "minimize" the damage... depending on how deep the scratch is... you might need to "colorsand"... this I think should be done by a pro. refer to gene's comments right after my first comments... that is exactly what I'm getting at...