Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Secrets - Wheel Wells and Engine bays

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 09:59 AM
shftup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secrets - Wheel Wells and Engine bays

Hey guys, looking for products to clean/detail wheel wells and engine bays.

Can some of you pros out there share with us inquiring minds......thanks.
Old 05-06-06, 10:41 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shftup

My process for both is the following:

Wells I do when I clean the wheels and tires. I spray simple green automotive (make sure it's the "auto" kind, since the regular version can dry rubber), cut 2:1 with water into the wells and let it dwell for ~30 seconds to a minute while I clean the wheels. I then take a wheel brush or cloth and agitate where I can reach, then spay with water. Later, when I'm almost done the car (dressing tires, etc...), I spray some 303 into the wells (a little goes a long way), and just spread it. They get dirty relatively quickly regardless of what you do, but the 303 will keep them black for awhile.

For engines I cover up intakes and electrics with tinfoil, spray simple green auto (full strength or cut 1:1) over the entire engine. Clean tough areas with a cloth then lighty spray the engine with water to remove all the residue. Either wait for it to dry or turn the car on for a few minutes to speed it up, then dress with Dress It Right, 303, or Megs 40. I use regular metal polish on metal.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-06, 12:10 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Nice write up - wii try it out.
Old 05-06-06, 01:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by picus

Wells I do when I clean the wheels and tires. I spray simple green automotive (make sure it's the "auto" kind, since the regular version can dry rubber), cut 2:1 with water into the wells and let it dwell for ~30 seconds to a minute while I clean the wheels. I then take a wheel brush or cloth and agitate where I can reach, then spay with water. Later, when I'm almost done the car (dressing tires, etc...), I spray some 303 into the wells (a little goes a long way), and just spread it. They get dirty relatively quickly regardless of what you do, but the 303 will keep them black for awhile.
Whoa neato. I thought I was the only one who does this
Old 05-09-06, 01:48 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shftup

I use Mop and Glow on my wheel wells. It does not seem to attract dust like a tire spray or interior protectant.
Old 05-10-06, 05:17 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How about this?
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1002&SKU=11138
I have had good luck with their Rubber Cleaner, Vinyl and Rubber Dressing, and Interior Cleaner - very good products!
Old 05-13-06, 09:57 AM
shftup
Intermediate

Originally Posted by picus

For engines I cover up intakes and electrics with tinfoil, spray simple green auto (full strength or cut 1:1) over the entire engine. Clean tough areas with a cloth then lighty spray the engine with water to remove all the residue. Either wait for it to dry or turn the car on for a few minutes to speed it up, then dress with Dress It Right, 303, or Megs 40. I use regular metal polish on metal.

Hope this helps.
Which 303 do you use?
Old 05-13-06, 10:30 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Protectant - the same stuff you use on plastic trim. It keeps them dark for a couple days.

Another note - I've been using dilutted Poorboys APC lately instead of simple green, works better imo and is much cheaper.

Griots stuff is good too, definitely will work.
Old 05-13-06, 07:23 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

One of the few things I use a pressure washer on is the wheel wells. I also use it on the tires. I dress the wells with CD/2 Engine Detailer. This is an acrylic based dressing that dries hard and non-oily so it doesn't attract dust and grime like an oily dressing will. It also lasts through rain. I get a couple months out of an application. This stuff (CD/2) is also my go to engine dressing for the same reasons.
Old 05-13-06, 07:29 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
One of the few things I use a pressure washer on is the wheel wells. I also use it on the tires. I dress the wells with CD/2 Engine Detailer. This is an acrylic based dressing that dries hard and non-oily so it doesn't attract dust and grime like an oily dressing will. It also lasts through rain. I get a couple months out of an application. This stuff (CD/2) is also my go to engine dressing for the same reasons.

Where do you buy this from??
Old 05-13-06, 07:57 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfelbab

Where do you buy this from??