Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Heavy Metal polish review

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 10:19 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heavy Metal polish review

Bought a bottle of the medium and fine Heavy Metal polish to polish the lips on my wheels. The products are not like typical white polish with abrasives in it. It is very liquid. the medium is a green color and the fine is blue. After putting it on a cloth I tought there is no way this watery stuff is going to work. Well let me tell you it works great . Super easy to put on and wipe off. I did a quick wipe on/off with the medium and then a quick wipe on/off with the fine. My lips now look like chrome. I then followed up with some Poorboys wheel wax. Here is a link to the Heavy Metal polish website. http://www.heavymetalpolish.com/

Here are the before pics of my rear wheel. Hope you can see that they are not that smooth/shiney.

Here are the after pics. Hopefully you will see how smooth and chrome like they are.

I can highly recommend this product. Don't know if anyone else has used it but I would like to hear their opinions.
Old 05-07-06, 10:37 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man that looks great? I don't want to be redundant, but how long does 1 wheel take begining to end? If its easier and shorter than the Meguiars NXT I'd definately purchase and refer our polished wheel / lip clients

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-07-06, 12:28 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Hey man that looks great? I don't want to be redundant, but how long does 1 wheel take begining to end? If its easier and shorter than the Meguiars NXT I'd definately purchase and refer our polished wheel / lip clients

Thanks for sharing!
I have not used the Mequiars but I have used the Mothers wheel polish and this stuff is waaaaay faster and easier to use. Basically I applied the product to a towel and wiped it on the wheel and then rubbed/wiped it with the grain of the metal. Went back with a clean cloth and all was good to go. I did that with the medium and then the fine. I worked almost too easy. Kind of like one of those info-mercial things that you can't believe it works that easy. Well this did. Just wipe on and wipe off. I would think it is worth the price to try out.. One wheel,just lips, took about 5 minute total using medium, fine and then wheel wax. I think if you stay on top of it, you could skip the medium and just do the fine and then wax.
Old 05-07-06, 05:22 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heavy Metal Polish is my personal fave, and I've been recommending it to this and other forums for a couple years now. Thanks for the pics and your review.
Old 05-08-06, 08:41 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I have not used the Mequiars but I have used the Mothers wheel polish and this stuff is waaaaay faster and easier to use. Basically I applied the product to a towel and wiped it on the wheel and then rubbed/wiped it with the grain of the metal. Went back with a clean cloth and all was good to go. I did that with the medium and then the fine. I worked almost too easy. Kind of like one of those info-mercial things that you can't believe it works that easy. Well this did. Just wipe on and wipe off. I would think it is worth the price to try out.. One wheel,just lips, took about 5 minute total using medium, fine and then wheel wax. I think if you stay on top of it, you could skip the medium and just do the fine and then wax.
Thanks alot, we have full polished on the 2000 Celsior so Stefan will be trying this out!!
Old 05-09-06, 05:01 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Will it remove the fine scratches? I have a few around the valve stem. What can I do?
Old 05-24-06, 01:50 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Heavy Metal Polish is my personal fave, and I've been recommending it to this and other forums for a couple years now. Thanks for the pics and your review.
Any idea how this will work on the unpolished barrell of the rim behind the spokes? I'd like to try and get a higher shine on that part of my rims.
Old 05-24-06, 05:22 AM
Guitarman

Yes, I think either the green or red then green would work well for you, depends on how dull/unfinished it is. The green will probably do the trick though.
Old 05-24-06, 10:10 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Yes, I think either the green or red then green would work well for you, depends on how dull/unfinished it is. The green will probably do the trick though.
Its just the plain silver-gray aluminum, smooth but no polish to it. Only thing is with the open spoke pattern of the SSR GT3 that part of the rim is quite visible. I know I can take it to a custom shop and have them polished but I think they want around a $100 a rim for the work. Thought I might get some of those buffer ***** that you attach to a power drill and try to put some shine on.
Old 05-25-06, 03:35 AM
kino1161OL
Rookie

I have chrome wheels w/polished lip. The clearcoat has come off the lips of 2 of my wheels and they look horrible. Will this work for me to re-polish my lips to get that "shine" back? Please assist, I really hate the way the lips on my wheels look right now. What to do? Thanks!
Old 05-25-06, 05:11 AM
Guitarman

You have to be certain the clearcoat is off the entire lip in order to expect a good result, but if it is, then using the green Heavy Metal Polish would bring up the shine on it. You could then maintian it with the blue after that, but the green will restore it initially.
Old 05-25-06, 07:03 AM
kino1161OL
Rookie

Guitarman,
How would i know if the clearcoat is off the entire lip? Do you know the look I am talking about when I say it looks like "dried up water" on the lips that will not come off? Are you sure this will do the trick? Please help and Thanks for your assistance.
Old 05-25-06, 04:46 PM
Guitarman

Will it do the trick? I cannot say that for certain, but unless there's another issue, it sure should.

One way to tell if there's clearcoat on the lip is to rub some swirl remover or medium grit paint polish (NOT metal polish) with a WHITE cloth on the lip...if the cloth is left with black residue, the surface is metal, if the rag appears fairly clean, with minor dirt and some of the polish residue on it, then there's clearcoat there.

The reason I advise not to use a metal polish until you know for sure is that the metal polish *could* dull or damage the clearcoat if there's any on there. Unlikely but possible.